Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Captive Breeding/Zoos/Parks

+2
whitestarling
tigerburnie
6 posters

Go down

Captive Breeding/Zoos/Parks Empty Captive Breeding/Zoos/Parks

Post  tigerburnie Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Prompted by my thread on the Snow Leopards,what's your thoughts on modern Zoos/parks and their role in todays society.
I am against small,unsuitable cages/enclosures "just" to show people the animals.
However my visits to places like the Highland Wildlife Park(part of Edinburgh Zoo) and Banham,where the Snow Leopards are have made me re-think a bit.Purpose made enclosures that allow a scientific backed breeding program does work on several counts.
Firstly the obvious,we all get to see an animal we never otherwise see and second to increase the world population and our understanding of the animals.
I have to confess,I had no idea they were breeding Snow Leopards,I did know they are trying to breed smaller wild cats like Ocelots.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Captive Breeding/Zoos/Parks Empty Re: Captive Breeding/Zoos/Parks

Post  whitestarling Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:14 am

As I said on your Snow Leopards thread TB. I agree as long as its done with the purpose in mind of increasing the gene pools of endangered species with the ultimate aim of one day being able to do a release back into the wild, although clearly that may take many years. Also that the animals are in suitable enclosures, that stimulate, and benifit the animals, and not just designed to put them on view, then I thing its an acceptable practice. Its just sad that due to what Mankind has done, and is doing to the World, that there is a need for it at all
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:22 am

Generally speaking i am against animals in cages but I realise that is totally naive. Zoos and parks, properly run with decent sized enclosures and responsible caring staff certainly have a place today. We are at a time when we are hell bent on destroying our planet and wildlife, so without their help and co-operation many species would become extinct. It is tragic that we have allowed this to happen and with poaching as bad as it is in 10 years you won't see a tiger in the wild - zoos and parks will be the only place they survive.

If it is possible to realistically release any of these animals/birds back into their natural habitat that would be the best news ever, but I don't see it ever happening.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Not much more I can add to what WS & Lai have said, I Agree with them both
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:38 pm

I agree too. Zoos over the years have changed enormously. Originally they were places just to see captive animals that you may not get to see unless you visited their native land. I'm sure the husbandry of those animals was not always the best either and keepers did not have to be qualified to look after them.
Nowadays it's all changed and I believe the majority of Zoos/Wildlife Parks are all invloved in captive breeding for the good of the animal, not just to attract visitors.
Keepers are highly trained and no longer can you just walk into a job because you like animals.

I too would love to see all animals in their natural habitat but sadly we are loosing so many of them we need to do something positive and constructive about it.....after all it is man that has created most of the issues with certain animal decline.

Zoos/Wildlife parks are now so highly monitored as well and they have to go through lots of red tape to be amongst the respected captive breeding programmes.

So yes, I do support captive breeding......although I do wish there wasn't a need for it.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:11 pm

If it is possible to realistically release any of these animals/birds back into their natural habitat that would be the best news ever, but I don't see it ever happening.

Lai

Might be difficult with top predators like big cats and bears Lai,but look at what is happening in the uk.Most of the Red Kites used for re-introduction were captive bred,I can also recall a deer species,I think Peer davids(or something like that)that were bred at Woburn and used to re-introduce into the native habitat after they became near extinct in the wild.Red Pandas and some of the small Tamarin monkeys are bred at Twycross in Leicestershire for re-introduction schemes.Also the Andean Condor was extinct in the wild,but some have been bred in the states and have been re-introduced.Most of the Goshawks in Britain are thought to come from captive bred falconers birds.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:50 am

Good point TB - you are right with the birds. Are they easier for some reason to re-introduce, perhaps so. I've not heard of the deer but that's a positive result for sure. I guess some species it will work and others, as you say, like top predators it is not possible.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14599401

Looks like another good story,all the shame it's a pity that man is destroying the natural habitat.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:06 am

I Agree TB - but lovely to have a success story. My friend and I are going to Chester zoo next weekend to practice our wildlife photography so we will definitely be looking at the sudanese cheetahs Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:15 pm

I Agree also TB, but at least its 4 more to be added to the Gene pool which is really good news
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:53 pm

A lovely story TB. Chester Zoo is one place I would love to go so i'm a tad envious of you Lai, hopefully we will get to see some of your pics.
I get the Zoos newsletter, as i'm sure others do too and it's one Zoo that does an awful lot to help save species under threat.
Have a wonderful time when you go Lai and thanks for the info TB.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:10 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-14760260

An example of what we all would like to see,I think,mankind getting it's finger out.I just hope that the habitat is good enough to sustain the introduction.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:42 pm

I Agree TB. Exactly the sort of news item I would like to see alot more of. I suppose perspective needs to come into play though, as releasing sand lizards is less of a logistical nightmare than say releasing captive breed amur leopards. It is definitely a great step and if humans work harder then the likes of captive breed amur leopard releases are doable.

Thanks for the link TB.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down