Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Lewa Wildlife Conservancy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lewa Wildlife Conservancy

Post  Laikipia on Fri May 14, 2010 8:46 am

Lewa Wildlife Conservancy - a catalyst for conservation

http://www.lewa.org/
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Re: Lewa Wildlife Conservancy

Post  Laikipia on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 pm

News on the Community Programmes in Lewa

Why Would a Wildlife Conservancy Engage in Community Development?
The greatest potential challenge for wildlife conservation is gaining the support of local people, who will not only share their land but will be motivated to offer their support.
In this area, the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy is known as a groundbreaking model. By directing the benefits of our success to helping our neighbours, Lewa has helped alleviate poverty, and created enthusiasm among communities for wildlife conservation.

Many people around Lewa live in extreme poverty – on less than $1 a day. It is the poor themselves who understand first-hand the causes, nature and extent of these conditions. Our values reflect this reality: empowerment & participation; transparency, openness, & accountability; and equality.

Working Together:
Lewa has influenced incredible changes in seven of the communities directly surrounding the Conservancy. We focus on seven core components to create sustainable, conservation-friendly economic growth:

1. Community Healthcare: Lewa’s three clinics are the closest medical centres within 25 kilometres, shouldering up to 90% of the needs of staff and communities.
The clinics offer diagnosis & treatment in reproductive, preventative, and mental health; including education for HIV/AIDS, family planning, and hygiene
2. Community Water Management: Projects include springs conservation and water distribution for agriculture, domestic use, and livestock.Lewa has implemented irrigation programmes in five communities, improving living standards for over 15,000 people
3. The Women’s Micro Credit Programme: There are eight women’s groups in Lewa’s communities, boasting over 400 participants in the programme.
Local women access funds as small as US $65 which help them start their own businesses and lift their families out of poverty
4. Community Forestry: Rural women spend up to 20 hours per week collecting firewood. To assist these women, and discourage deforestation, Lewa has started tree nurseries in five communities
5. Agricultural Development: Through hands-on training, local farmers share techniques that preserve soil quality and biodiversity.
Communities participate in agricultural projects for more efficient farming and grazing
6. Social Development: People register as self-help groups, building a collective identity that carries them through tough times, such as crop failure.
Successful income-generating projects include: daily goat-keeping, making bales of hay, and bee-keeping which deters elephant from entering their property
7. The Lewa Youth Programme: A high proportion of young people struggling with nationwide unemployment are engaged to create youth-led projects. Linking our future leaders with government funding, Lewa provides youth with the opportunity for self-directed, self-driven endeavors
The Benefits are Twofold:
For the communities, Lewa’s programmes mean decreased poverty, increased health, education and employment; as well as greater security in areas that were once threatened by bandits and poachers.

For wildlife and the Conservancy, the community’s support brings increased security as well. With the changed perceptions of local people, the protection and conservation of wildlife is a source of desperately needed income rather than poaching for rhino horn.

Roads, classrooms, food, peace – this is what Lewa represents in the minds of local people. Wildlife is not only seen as an economic benefit but, with the support of our core conservation programmes, communities now value wildlife for its inherent environmental qualities

Lai cheers
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:41 pm

An update on their work from Facebook

Lewa's community development programme works with a number of different communities with different needs. One of these vital areas of work is with community water development. On Friday May 28, 2010, the Manyagalo community held an opening ceremony for their new water distribution system. This Lewa-funded, gravity-fed ...system will provide clean water for irrigation and consumption to the people of this community. While Lewa provided the funds and expertise to construct the water system, the community has now taken ownership of the project and will ensure that the system remains effective. The addition of this water system, one that allows for the easy and regular application of water over numerous plots of land, will allow farmers to increase plot yields and decrease labour input. The system will also provide homes with more easily accessible clean water for drinking and chores. Congratulations to Manyagalo on the new facility!

When we think of Lewa, we think of Wildlife, but there is so much more to Lewa than just the Wildlife. I have been having a look at some of the community projects Lewa has going on at the moment, and it was such an eye opener. The first thing I think needs mentioning are the 24 hour medical clinics set up by Lewa and its donors and the dedicated teams of medics who run them, truly award worthy I thought. Have a look at the new Album "Lewa's Work in the Community". I am only touching the surface here of what goes on outside the boundaries of Lewa and all the projects that have been put in place. I will continue to add more of the good things Lewa are up to as well as the generous donors who have visited here and wanted to put something back into the communities. Without this important work, Lewa and its Wildlife could not exist. That is why it is so important for the local people outside of Lewa to be involved and to also benefit from the conservancy, with clinics, schools etc etc

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:51 pm

What an amazing read Lai. It just goes to show that by supporting these beacons, wildlife really does benefit as well and usually in enormouse ways.

Lewa is doing a wonderful job in supporting it's community and their wildllife, they really do need applauding and supporting, they sound as if they have got it just right.

Thanks for posting such good news.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:04 pm

It's one of my favourites Littlewid - and of course a great place! lol!

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Thats fantastic Lai, we all sit here, and take water for granted. So that project will make abig difference to the community. It is also a great model, as to how manage to bring people, and wildlife together, as the people can see the benifits of conserving animals, and their enviroment, which can only be good news. Thanks for a great read Lai
WS
whitestarling
Admin

http://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Update from Lewa Wildlife Conservancy

The Three brothers - a tale of strength and survival

http://www.lewa.org/stay-connected/news-on-lewa/single/article/the-three-brothers-a-tale-of-strength-and-survival/?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=1&cHash=9a70245b7125bf0f749b29534527fc56

These boys are magnificent to see - Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks Lai thats a great article. We have heard of these 3 Brothers before, and seen the clip of them bringing down an Ostrich. They do look more powerfull than Honeys Boys, but I think they are older
WS
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:36 pm

A good read Lai. I remember that clip too WS and it's comforting to know that these three Brothers wont put themselves up for harm, it would be dreadful if something happended to one of them and then the other two didn't survive. As they say they have hunted together for so long that their strategy is so inbred it would be hard for them to adapt. They are magnificent boys and they are older than Honeys boys but Honeys boys could be as successful as these three lewa boys.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Meet Elvis - One of the Hand-Reared Black Rhinos on Lewa

http://www.lewa.org/stay-connected/news-on-lewa/single/article/elvis-the-black-rhino-establishes-his-territory-on-lewa/?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=75&cHash=fcd09cb18b923c5c4de52d5b38f7bd48

Some great photos and an interesting story

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:33 pm

That looks great but i need time to read it will have a look tomorrow Lai thanks for the nudge WS
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52 pm

What a brilliant story Lai, I bet those people were really worried as to what or who was outside their door, how amazing for it to be Elvis and Lola (what great names) what an experience that must have been.
The pictures are gorgeous but after spending so long together it was a shame they had to be split up, that was rather sad but it's good to know they are both doing well and I look forward to more Elvis updates, he and Lola sound real characters.

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Some very sad news from Lewa about Stumpy the black rhino

http://www.lewa.org/stay-connected/news-on-lewa/single/article/poachers-strike-again/?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=1&cHash=78d62eda774312cf82a63a8b9772892e

I am not posting the article as I can't get the photos to work, although you may not want to see one of them as it is quite sickening. I can't believe poaching has got so bad now. What a sad day for Lewa.

RIP Stumpy.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:29 pm

I've copied the article Lai, but I've left out the photo you mentioned, as I agree with you it's rather sickening, and I dont think members would like to see it as it's of Stumpy when she was found after the poachers had finished with her body Sad

WS
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 am

Thanks WS - it makes me sick to see what is going on again now. For a short while it seemed that poaching was on the decrease but now it is increasing at an alarming pace. How on earth do we get to educate the chinese? I don't know how they can live with themselves - killing all these animals for unproven medicinal purposes. Imagine how the rangers must feel when they find these beautiful animals mutilated. Some times in just makes you want to cry with despair.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Nice news from Lewa Wildlife Conservancy

Congratulations to Prince William and Kate Middleton
November 17, 2010
On behalf of the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy we congratulate Prince William and Kate Middleton on the occasion of their engagement. We are aware that they visited Lewa last month for a private holiday.

Lewa is immensely proud to have played a small part in this significant step in their lives, and in the lives of the British royal family. We are particularly grateful that Prince William continues to confirm his immense commitment to wildlife conservation, to Kenya, and to the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy by taking this step whilst visiting Kenya. We offer them both our very best wishes.

I've always dreamed of being proposed to in Laikipia or Lewa - could someone please drop a hint to Pete please? Laughing

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Lai get him to look in on the site and we will all drop him a massive hint or just get him to read this.......

PETE YOU HAVE AN AMAZING WOMAN IN LAI......GET ON A PLANE WITH HER TO LAIKIPIA (LEWA HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE)......DUST THOSE KNEES OFF....KNEEL DOWN.......AND PROPOSE TO THE MOST AMAZING WOMAN YOU WILL EVER MEET.......YOU'D BE A NUTTER NOT TOO

It may help a bit Lai....fingers crossed.
littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:21 pm

That is so sweet Littlewid - thank you. Pete has just come in, maybe I will show him your post

And yes, actually Laikipia is the place for me ............... (not that you would have guessed)

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 am

Some good news from Lewa -

Breaking news - Elephant makes use of underpass on New Year's Day

http://www.lewa.org/stay-connected/news-on-lewa

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Another Blow to Conservation Efforts in Kenya

The Lewa Wildlife Conservancy Loses Four Rhinos to Poachers

(Isiolo, Kenya) – In the past week, the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy suffered the demoralizing loss of four rhinos to poachers. Two male black rhinos and two female black rhinos were slaughtered, bringing the population of rhino on Lewa back down to 71 individuals. In a country where the population is slightly above 600 animals, these incidents are a devastating blow to conservation efforts and show the enormous pressure that these animals are under.

Rhinotek, an 11-year-old female rhino was found dead at mid-day on the 1st of December. The initial assessment did not give a clear indication of the cause of death but further veterinary examination established that the animal died from a bullet wound to the stomach. Nyota, a 20-year-old female and Serian, a seven-year-old male were shot dead at approximately 1:00 am, on the 2nd of December. Another carcass, later on identified as Jazz, a male rhino, was discovered mid-afternoon on the 2nd of December. Three of the rhino horn sets were intact and have since been recovered for safekeeping. The poachers managed to remove the other set of horns.

Many experts highlight that Africa’s rhinos are facing the worst poaching crisis in decades, with the most serious poaching upsurges in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya. Although population figures for both black and white rhinos have increased since 2007, because of the increase in poaching, there is still grave concern for the rhino’s future. The Lewa Wildlife Conservancy is not immune to this crisis and has lost 10 rhinos in the last three years.

“These incidents serve as a constant reminder of the harsh reality and rapidly escalating threat faced by rhinos. Lewa is now more than ever determined to counter these threats by increasing our security and monitoring efforts, reinforcing the important contribution that Lewa’s wildlife is making to local communities, and minimising the risk posed to the remaining rhino population,” Mike Watson, Lewa’s CEO reaffirms the commitment towards rhino conservation, despite this most recent setback

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks Doogs. I had just read my e-mail from Lewa. Simply tragic and with no end in sight for poaching at the moment.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Mountain Bull is a bit of a celebrity around Lewa. The 45-year old bull was propelled to fame a few years ago as a result of his dedication to using the traditional elephant migration routes in northern Kenya. Like several other elephants in the Laikipia, Samburu and Mount Kenya ecosystems, Mountain Bull (often referred to simply as MT Bull) has also worn a collar fitted by Save the Elephants for the past few years, and has been tracked using Google Earth Interface. However, the very clever elephant has of late developed a penchant for risky behaviour: using his tusks to snap fence wires and open gates, granting him a free pass into farms.

MT Bull was also gaining notoriety for his refusal to use the elephant underpass, preferring to go through both commercial and small-scale farms while migrating between the Ngare Ndare Forest, Lewa and Mount Kenya, causing human-wildlife conflict in the region. Amongst the Lewa team there was well-founded fear of retaliation, especially from the small-scale farmers. Lewa soon realized the need to intervene to curb the bull’s destructive behaviour and steer him towards using the underpass.

In consultation with the Kenya Wildlife Service, Lewa trimmed MT Bull’s tusks on the 31st of October, 2012, in the neighbouring Borana Conservancy. Close monitoring of the elephant’s behaviour since the exercise has shown a great decline in the rate of fence breakages, with only one recorded case since the exercise took place!

On the 13th of January, the famous elephant made a great stride; he used the underpass for the first time since its construction in January 2011. And on the 22nd of January, on his way to Mount Kenya, he walked the full length of the corridor without veering off his path, another first for the legendary elephant!

MT Bull’s use of the underpass marks a very significant step towards alleviating human-wildlife conflict in the region. We hope that he continues to embrace this route that will not only connect him to the ecosystems that he so dearly loves, but will also put him out of danger.
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks Doogs great update. It's fantastic that Mountain Bull is taking the underpass, and that trimming his tusks has slowed him down breaking fences. But its a shame that it has to come to this as he's just following his natural instincts, and the ways of his ancestors.
WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Received from Lewa just now

A (Disappointing) Update on Nicky’s Scheduled Surgery
Dear Camilla:
Yesterday (February 26th), Lewa’s baby rhino Nicky, who is blinded by cataracts, was scheduled to have an operation that would help him regain some of his sight. The surgery, scheduled to take place at the nearby ranch of Ol Jogi, was to be carried out by a specialty optical veterinary team from South Africa with assistance from Kenya Wildlife Service's vets. Alfie, another blind rhino from Ol Jogi, was to also be operated on.
The vets had to first perform ultra-sounds on both rhinos to establish the viability of the surgeries. It was very disheartening when the results of the scans indicated that removing the cataracts would not help either of the rhinos; it would not enable them to see. The vets say that both Nicky and Alfie will most likely remain blind for the rest of their lives.

Nicky came back home to Lewa yesterday evening. Although visibly tired, he seemed very glad to be in familiar territory, and in the loving care of his two dedicated keepers, Yusuf and Tonga. Lewa will continue to give the best care to little Nicky to ensure that he grows to adulthood and has a long life despite his blindness. On behalf of little Nicky, we thank you all for your support

see also their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150281258829996.71085.59974894995&type=1

That really is such tragic news

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Oh no, that really is Lai Sad Even more disappointing that both Rhinos cannot be helped.

At least Nicky will now be well looked after by his dedicated keepers at Lewa, poor thing Sad
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum