Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is this?

+3
whitestarling
Anne-Marie1981
Safari Maiden
7 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Who is this? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is this?

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:21 am

Good teamwork Ronnie and WS - I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 am

I suggest for the time being we call her Siri, which means Mystery in Swahili
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Who is this? - Page 2 768480 Good one WS.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Jackson looked at the video but he says he does not know who she is. I asked Mara Triangle and they said one was in the Purungat Bridge area and the other was near the Kichwa Airstrip and she could be the one seen near the airstrip, but still no name as yet.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:18 pm

cheers Ronnie - you'll get an ID soon I am sure.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Who is this? - Page 2 768480 Well done Ronnie, I was trying to find out a contact for Mara Triangle ot Mara Concervancy, but could'nt see one for the life of me. We are getting closer, have'nt had any news yet from anywhere else
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 pm

WS, I just found the Mara Triangle FB page and sent them a PM. I was pleased they responded. I think I'll message them again and see if their females have names. The only reason I suggested it could be Paradise Female is that she did have two cubs. She may be one of the ones spotted or these could be two totally different females altogether. Pepe over on J & A's blog said there are at least 14 adult leopards, many of them females with cubs, and if Jonathan asks him questions His info is as good as gold as far as I'm concerned! If they turn out to be as yet un-named I'm all for calling her Siri, very good idea WS, and a pretty name.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:33 pm

That was a good idea Ronnie, and your right Pepe does know his stuff. I will check J&A's Blog as I left Pepe a message yesterday.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 am

I have sent off another question to Mara Triangle. I asked if the females in their report were named or at least known to them, or if they were new. I also asked if one could be Paradise Female. They answered my last question, so hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow morning. Also, WS I saw your post over on J & A's blog and I also planted the seed that we are calling her Siri in my posts. If she doesn't already have a name we may be in there with Doogs at getting to name a cat in the Mara! That would be fantastic!

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:58 am

Great teamwork again WS and Ronnie.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:36 am

We might be getting there Ronnie, this was Pepe's reply to my post

# Pepe Puyon 13 Mar 2012 at 12:51 am
Good Job Whitestarling, and good name, Siri, I can´t think on a better name for a female leopard as they are usually mistery animals.

Pepe Puy
It would be brilliant if we got to name her
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:38 am

Who is this? - Page 2 768480 WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:37 am

I received a reply from Mara Triangle. None of their leopards are named and they are not familiar with Paradise Female, as she is not normally in their area. So I guess we could scratch her off the list. So if she is the one mentioned in the report she is un-named.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for the update Ronnie - shame they don't name their leopards, it makes life much easier and it's far more fun to get to know them with names.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks Ronnie, thats a shame, but I've posted this on Aatish, and Pauls FB Page for all to see, see if we get anywhere with that.
Hi Paul
I’m hoping you can help. We are trying to identify a Leopard with two Cubs in a video posted on You Tube it was taken on the western side of the mara on the kichwa tembo / transmara side down by the mara river.  Apparently one of the cubs was killed that night by a lion unfortunately. There are one or two suggestions that it may be the Paradise Female, but we have been unable to find any photos of her, for comparison purposes. Does anyone know where there are photos of the Paradise Female on any Blogs or Sites online. If so, could you please let me know, we would be very grateful for any help in solving this mystery Leopard Lady.

Latest Update
This was from Mara Triangle Feb update “ We also have two leopard with two cubs each – we seldom see leopard cubs in the Triangle and hope that they will remain“.
We asked Mara Triangle and they said one was in the Purungat Bridge area and the other was near the Kichwa Airstrip and she could be the one seen near the airstrip, but still no name as yet. Jackson has said he doesn’t recognise her, so we think it’s a good chance it’s the second on these. For the time being we are calling her Siri.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHWQS1x8TsM&feature=player_embedded
I've also put it on WAA's FB Page
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Hello everyone. I've been going over a map of the Mara I found over on Simon King's old forum and the more I look at it the more it makes me think this is the Girl Mara Triangle reported to be seen near the Kichwa Airstrip. Based on the description given by the poster in response to AM's question as to the location where they were in it looks like it's a match to me. I'll include a link to the map I'm referring to so we are all looking at the same thing but I think she is by far the best candidate so far.

http://www.simonkingwildlife.com/images/MasaiMara.pdf

Ronnie

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

I've edited this post to include the link for Adobe Reader, needed to see pdf files in case anyone else has issues. Free to download.

Last edited by RMorr50912 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:03 pm

I'll have to take your word for it Ronnie. It downloads as a PDF File, and my laptop wont open it. I've not had it long so I may need to download something to open it, but it sounds good.
Message from Aatish on FB in reply to our question

Aatish Patel Hi guys,
Sorry but I do not recognize the leopard. Personally I do not think that would be the paradise female. Kichwa tembo is quite far from paradise plains but unfortunately I do not have evidence to prove this since I do not have any records of the paradise female. Will let you know if I get any more info
I think that really rules out the Paradise Female, and its looking more like, the second female from the Mara Triangle update

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:11 pm

It opened for me WS - thanks Ronnie (I should have thought of scanning my map and posting a copy of it on here) Embarassed

she is proving to be a real mystery!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm reposting this bit, as I edited it in after I posted above. Just in case anyone read the intial post, and missed the add on
Message from Aatish on FB in reply to our question

Aatish Patel Hi guys,
Sorry but I do not recognize the leopard. Personally I do not think that would be the paradise female. Kichwa tembo is quite far from paradise plains but unfortunately I do not have evidence to prove this since I do not have any records of the paradise female. Will let you know if I get any more info
I think that really rules out the Paradise Female, and its looking more like, the second female from the Mara Triangle update

WS

Ps Dowloaded Adobe, and I can now see the Map. Thats going to be very helpful in the future as well, now I can relate to places in the Mara that are mentioned
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Glad that was all it was WS. Now you can see, if you read the response AM got from the poster on youtube, that area pretty much matches what Mara Triangle said about the one near the airstrip. I think this is our female. Now we just need to find someone familiar with a leopard whose territory is around the border of the reserve area near the airstrip. The one person I think would surely know who may own this territory is not in the Mara right now. Jonathan may be our best hope for a name if there is one. If not, where do we go to get her named Siri!

I forgot to add, Bob from J & A's blog was credited with helping make this map along with Xavier Van der Vaken.

Ronnie

Last edited by RMorr50912 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add credit for the map)
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:48 pm

I've been thinking Ronnie. The owner of the clip, said thet they heard that night that one of the Cubs was killed by a Lion, as you've been in touch with Mara Triangle, would it be worth asking them if they also heard that information, about the Leopard by the airstrip. If they had then I think that would be conclusive, that it's her.
We will have to have a think about how to get her named, if she has none. Perhaps put some more feelers out with the likes of Jackson, aatish, and Paul
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 am

Good idea WS. I'll send them another message tonight. I'm feeling more confident she is the one. If they confirm she lost a cub, that would pretty much confirm it for me as well. I'll let you know what I find out. They've answered me every time so far so hopefully some news tomorrow.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks Ronnie. Just had another idea. Perhaps we aught to team up, and start a Private Detective agency Who is this? - Page 2 40683
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:21 am

You the man WS - you and Ronnie - the A Team (sorry wrong show) I mean Starsky and Hutch ROFL

Lai Laughing
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 am

I received a reply from Mara Triangle. They said they have seen the leopard in the Burungat Bridge area a few days ago and she still has two cubs, good news. They have not seen the one we are interested in near the airstrip nor have they received any reports about the cub being killed. I guess the info is inconclusive for now. Sounds like they just don't have any more info on her right now.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum