Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 Cheetah Cubs

+5
littlewid
whitestarling
RMorr50912
Laikipia
Doogs
9 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

3 Cheetah Cubs - Page 2 Empty Re: 3 Cheetah Cubs

Post  Doogs Mon May 28, 2012 1:09 pm

What a lovely but sad poem WS Crying or Very sad

Good response to the Petition but more name would be good.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:04 pm

On May 14, 2012, you signed the petition, Release 3 Wild Cheetah Cubs back to Mara Conservancy for Rehabilitation in the Wild. The petition author, Cee4life, has now closed the petition and sent this message to all its signers:

---------------------------------

Thankyou for signing the petition for the Mara Cheetah Cubs. This petition will be presented to the Minister for Wildlife, Kenya and all other relevant parties.
There is only one way to make change happen and that is to step forward and begin to make that change.
Thankyou for having the courage to speak for these cubs.
Never Give Up
Cee4life

Lets hope Guys

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Got that text too WS and like you and many others, I am really hoping the petition does make a difference for these cubs.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 am

Same here WS and Littlewid. Let's remember there is always hope Group Hug and be positive.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  cheetahlover Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:47 am

I hope the petition makes a difference for the sake of those poor little cubs. Every time I think of them I wonder how they must have felt, being taken from home to a prison and not knowing what they had done to be treated that way. Here's hoping. Crying or Very sad
cheetahlover
cheetahlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:00 pm

I Agree Cheetahlover - a life at the orphanage is no life for them, at least if they were returned to the wild they would have some chance however remote it might be. I can't bear to think of them in a tiny cage.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Cheetahlover, we are all hoping that the petiiton carries a lot of weight to let these Cheetah live a more natural life and not one encarcerted in the orphanage.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi Cheetahlover, totally agree with what you've said, none of us on here wanted those cubs to end up where they are. I fear the Petition may be too little too late - will they already be 'non returnable to the wild' after spending the time that they have in the Orphanage ? Crying or Very sad Mad Sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 am

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:20 am

So so sad.

Is there any chance the other 2 will be returned now though?

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:15 pm

I would somehow seriously doubt it - we can hope though.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:59 pm

I saw the news and it really breaks my heart, just like the article says, it never had to happen. I certainly hope the corruption can be cleared up and the true welfare of the animals be the real reason KWS exists. Right now with all the goings on over there be it lion killers not being prosecuted, or the events surrounding the cubs being taken I really have lost faith in KWS.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:52 pm

I Agree Ronnie - sadly I think KWS is very corrupt like a lot of the Gov. Departments in Kenya. No more on that from me.

Such a tragic waste of a beautiful liitle cheetahs life when they are such precious cats.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 pm

That is just devastating news, a complete waste of a precious life and it should never ever have happened, there was no reason for them to be removed to the orphanage.
I pray the remaining two cubs will be ok but they must be suffering loosing their sibling like that.

I too doubt if they will ever be released back to the conservancy, I think once the KWS has them there is no chance for the cubs and that just breaks your heart.

RIP little cub I love you Sad I love you .....I hope you are now running wild and free.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Forgive me for lacking knowldge on this, I read the original articles and topics but still don't fully understand.

On what legal grounds are the cubs taken from the place they are born?
- where they are being provided with care, open enclosures and everything they need, and taken to a concrete cell, where one of them then dies.

I am assuming there is some legal reason why KWS can claim the cubs? is it for conservation? no real reason? or something else?

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:39 am

There seems to be a sad inevitability that this was going to be the outcome of KWS intervening in the rescue, and care of these cubs, and a great many people predicted something like this would happen. KWS seems a very long way from doing what it's supposed to be doing under its mandate. It shows in whats happened to the Cubs, and as Ronnie said, the way it reacted to the killing of the Lions near Niarobi. There should be a deep investigation into how KWS operates, and what has been going on, by an independant review, as it's a Govt Dept.
RaD this is KWS's mandate
Our Mandate

•Stewardship of National Parks and Reserves, including security for visitors and wildlife within and outside protected areas
•Oversight of wildlife conservation and management outside protected areas, including those under local authorities, community and private sanctuaries
•Conservation education and training
•Wildlife research
•Input into national wildlife-related law and policy, and adapting and carrying out international conventions and protocols.
For more information on their aims, and what they are supposed to be doing , this a link to their website
http://www.kws.org/about/

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:53 pm

whitestarling wrote:
RaD this is KWS's mandate
Our Mandate

•Stewardship of National Parks and Reserves, including security for visitors and wildlife within and outside protected areas
•Oversight of wildlife conservation and management outside protected areas, including those under local authorities, community and private sanctuaries
•Conservation education and training
•Wildlife research
•Input into national wildlife-related law and policy, and adapting and carrying out international conventions and protocols.
For more information on their aims, and what they are supposed to be doing , this a link to their website
http://www.kws.org/about/

WS

So basically they can do what they like, with animals from any reserve, private or otherwise.

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  cheetahlover Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 pm

This is so davastating, for the cub that died, for the siblings and for the Mara Triangle who were doing such a good job initially. I feel they were only moved to their prison as a draw for the zoo and the conditions for a born wild cheetah are abominal. If, as it seems, corruption is involved, what can be done to start to tackle this, as the populations of some of the species involved, especially cheetahs, are vulnerable enough as it is?

It is very sad, but at least the spirit of this little dead cheetah is now back with his mother on the Mara. If the other 2 cubs can't be returned alive to the Mara Triangle, the same fate will wait for them.

R.I.P.
cheetahlover
cheetahlover

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:44 pm

RaD, I think your sentiments are right about them being able to do what they want. As we all know a Mandate can be written for anything and say anything but sadly they are not always adhered too but it is always their fall back to say they were doing what was best and that they have the authority to do it.

I agree with WS that an Independent body needs to investigate the KWS but my feeling is that as they are a Government body in somewhere like Kenya it would be hard to challenge them as I am not sure the Government there is as corruption free as it should be but that should not stop some of the large organisations getting involved.

It would seem cheetahlover that they were moved there as an attraction and that should not have happened to any cheetah who had a chance to be put back in the wild where it belongs. Like you I worry that the remaining two cubs will go the same way which is such a waste of precious lives, whether they be endangered or not, it's not right.

I feel that the KWS is a powerful organisation and it would take a massive investigation by a body just as powerful to investigate them and to take them on.

For us it is hard to accept that they put out such a mandate as protectors of wildlife and then back peddle on their supposed commitments. It's shameful.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Absolutely gutted to hear that one of the little cubs has died, what a waste of a precious life Sad KWS certainly has a lot to answer for and it seems obvious to everyone out there how corrupt they are and for all the wrong reasons why they took those cubs to that hell hole in the first place.

We've been to Nairobi 5 times and I was also keen to go to Nairobi National Park but we never got round to it, I now know I never will visit this place No

Would love for the two remaining cubs to be returned to the Mara Triangle but unfortuantely the time they have already spent at the orphanage will have determined their future and it's not wild Crying or Very sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 pm

This is not easy watching Crying or Very sad Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad :-

Doogs Cheetah

Last edited by Doogs on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 pm

That is absoloutely shocking Doogs. How they can get away with treating Animals like this, and are not prosecuted is unbelievable. As we all know they should never have been pu there in the first place. KWS is an organisation that is losing all credibility.
WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 pm

You beat me to it Doogs! I saw this earlier and have been absolutely livid since! There is no excuse for this type of treatment, And I agree totally WS, they should still be in MT and never have been kidnapped! I certainly hope that there can be some recourse for this. Maybe the only option left is a lawsuit. Not sure how it would go but something has to be done!

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Doogs that was not only disturbing, it was heartbreaking, incredibly tearful and so distressing and thats only on my part, how must that have been for those poor cubs, I tell you and I never ever thought I would ever say this but the little cub who died is far better off now. The remaining two are going to be so traumatised, what must they have been feeling. I am so damned damned angry, infact I am Bl**dy angry right now.
There really has to be an investigation into the KWS and I hope that the team that filmed this follow this up, surely you can't post videos like that and then do nothing.
I fear that as those cubs grow, but I am also wondering if they will ever make it to adulthood, their treatment will get a lot worse.
Oh boy, i feel pretty wrangled after that and helpless too sitting here. I will say a prayer for those cubs tonight and also think how in some small way I may be able to help, I don't know how but even if it's writing to someone it's something.

littlwid-x- Sad
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:23 am

Dear God that is so shocking and distressing, I like all of you are distressed and saddened. This has to go viral for people to see what goes on at that place. Presumably not to all the animals, but the young and defenceless ones. I have visited and found it hugely despressing but that's another story. I like you think the cub that so sadly died has gone to a better place. If the two remaining cubs have to exist like that it is no life for such beautiful endangered animals.

So is there a petition or someone we can write to bearing in mind KWS appears to be so corrupt.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next