Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger poachers can be shot

+2
Doogs
whitestarling
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tiger poachers can be shot Empty Tiger poachers can be shot

Post  whitestarling Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 am

Tiger poachers can be shot Wa18Tiger poachers can be shot Wa116Tiger poachers can be shot Wa214

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Tiger poachers can be shot Empty Re: Tiger poachers can be shot

Post  Doogs Thu May 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks WS - As much as I don't condone the killing of another human being - if they are going chance their own lives by killing these rare animals then quite frankly they deserve to get shot. I hope this makes a difference to the Tiger numbers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Mixed views on this 'an eye for an eye' not sure but actually in the case of poachers and poaching I would probably agree.

Interesting read. Thanks WS.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu May 24, 2012 2:32 pm

I had the same thoughts myself, but perhaps in this case, as nothing else seems to deter them, the ultimate deterrant might do, and they cant sat they have'nt been warned

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 24, 2012 2:36 pm

True WS. It will be interesting to see if it does deter them or if they think it is worth the ultimate gamble?

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 24, 2012 10:17 pm

I doubt if many will be shot as they state they poach and kill during the night, so the guards would also have to be patrolling during the night.
I agree with paying informants for information thats a positive step forward, as for killing poachers, in this one I have to agree, if it's the only deterant they understand then go for it. Sad it has to come to that but they can't keep killing all these Tigers and get away with it.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:30 am

the big hands of tiger poaching often target poor and illiterate villagers for their benefits so that will be sad to have someone innocent killed

but again we have reached a do or die situation to protect this majestic beauty at any cost so let it be :)

i beleave this rule was in effect in Rathambore and many other NPs long back where forest guard often engage in gun battle with poachers to save the wild

hats off to their dedication that they are doing their part to save the rapidly decreasing wildlife

radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:49 pm

I completely agree with what you say Radhu, this kind of policy really does'nt target the ones really responsible for the poaching, and who are we to say as we sit in our comfortable homes, that if the situation was reversed, and we lived in a poor village, and our children, and family was starving because we had no money for food or other basic items. What we would do, if we were offered what seems like a lot of money to kill, a Tiger what we would do. At the end of the day, like the Tiger its about survival, and protecting our young, and many parents will put their lives on the line to do that. Its Villagers like these that need to see tangible proof that in the long term they would be better off in the long run helping to save the Tiger, and increase Tiger tourism, that would benifit them in jobs, and small business's that would give future generations a sustainable living. One day the money from poaching will stop, because there will be no Tigers left to kill, then like the Tiger they will have no future.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 am

very true WS
i have seen people doin bad just to feed their children
the power of poverty gives them the strength to go to any extreme

as sastras say a hungry mans basic need is food he will see god in a peace of bread ...hard facts which we cant run away from and as u said we cant judge them coz we live comfortably

but if the common man realizes the need of protecting wildlife then tiger conservation will definitely be a success coz local villagers will know very well to protect the wild life from the evil hands of poachers

radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Tiger poachers can be shot Empty please give me some guideline about whom to contact to save 3 tiger cubs

Post  zabeen Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:23 am

hello,
few days back 3 royal bengal tiger cubs were rescued by the police from a house in Dhaka city, the cubs are now kept in a private zoo...but unfortunately no one knows how to take care of them! one of them is already very sick....so please can someone give some advise on how to save them or give the address of an expert whom the private zoo authorities can contact!
please help the cubs...you can check the news in (the dailystar, Bangladesh) website online..thanks
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

Hi Zabeen
Thanks for contacting us with this story.Here are some contact details to Zoos who have Tigers, I'm sure they would give advice to the Zoo Authority if they asked
This organisation is involved in Tiger breeding, and conservation, and proberbly the best one to contact first
http://www.zsl.org/conservation/species/mammals/tiger-conservation/zoo-tigers-and-tiger-conservation,359,AR.html
Contact email address cp@zsl.org

Contact Link
Isle of Wight Zoo,Yaverland Seafront
Sandown, Isle of Wight
PO36 8QB
Tel: 01983 403883
enquiries@isleofwightzoo.com

This is a contact link to Chester Zoo who have a good reputation in the UK, that have Tigers
http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/contact-us-and-map

Daily Star Link
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=238110

This is the story from the Bangladesh Daily Star
Tiger Cubs
No one knows how to take care
The tiger cubs recovered on Monday from the house of a wildlife trader are kept in a small bird cage at a private zoo in the capital yesterday.Photo: STAR
Staff Correspondent The fate of the three tiger cubs rescued on Monday from a wildlife smuggler's house in the capital is in the hands of experts who will sit this afternoon to decide their destination.

One of the cubs, which are for now kept in a private mini zoo at Hatirpul in Dhaka, has already fallen sick and is too weak to stand.

Asked why those cubs were handed over to a private zoo, Rab Magistrate ASM Anawar Pasha said he had contacted the Dhaka Zoo authorities and many other government wildlife organisations but no one wanted to take their responsibility.

The forest department then formed a committee of five experts to decide where and how the tiger cubs should be reared since it also lacks expertise to deal with such young tiger cubs.

Suggested by a veterinary surgeon, Malekur Rahman of Dulahazara safari park, the cubs are being fed on milk powder four times a day and fine-chopped meat for once.

"I have no experience in dealing with tiger cubs, but once took care of lion cubs as those were born in the safari park," he said.

Yesterday, the cubs were seen in a cage beside a cage of a gray parrot. The veterinarian said he feared that the cubs could get an infection from birds.

Meanwhile, the environment and forest minister said an international wildlife trafficking ring was active in the country. On Monday, the trafficker's son Zakir Hossain, who was arrested with the cubs, told the press that the animals had been brought in from the Sundarbans for Tapan Kumar Dey, chief of wildlife section of the forest department.

In a press release issued yesterday, Chief Conservator of Forest (CCF) Yunus Ali outright rejected any forest official's links with the trafficking network.

The members of the experts team are Anawarul Islam, executive secretary of Wildlife Trust of Bangladesh; CCF Yunus Ali; Ishtiaq, country representative of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN); wildlife expert Anisuzzaman Khan, and tiger expert Manirul H Khan.

I think this is the Private Zoo they have been taken to Dr. Wadud and his Mini Private Zoo, but I cant find any contact details, to pass the Links on. Perhaps you can find out that end Zabeen
I have posted the Links as Wild About Animals Forum on the Daily Stars story in the comment section, hopefully they will be passed on

WS
Whitestarling The Admin Team
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:11 pm

That's shocking news. Tigers are so precious, to think of them not being properly cared for is deeply worrying.

Well done for making some suggestions WS - you are a Like a Star @ heaven

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:13 pm

I Agree great suggestions WS for those little cubs.

What an absolute tragedy they don't know what to do with these precious cubs, very worrying Crying or Very sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:08 am

just a correction the logo on the cover page says indian authorities whereas it is not in India its Dhaka in Bangladesh :)

just a trivial info but still i wanted to update :)

radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:12 am

Another suggestion might be the Born Free Foundation.

They have rescued and saved so many different animals, they might be able to help and advise.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Good idea Lai, but it looks like it's getting sorted. this is the latest from the Daily Star
The tiger cubs rescued on Monday from a smuggler's house in the capital are to stay in the hostile environment of a Hatirpul mini private zoo for another one or two days.

When the Dhaka Zoo authorities and other government wildlife agencies refused to take responsibility of the three cubs, Wadud Hossain, an exotic bird breeder, kept them in his mini zoo.

At the meeting arranged by the forest department at its office yesterday, wildlife experts could not come to a decision as to where the tiger cubs, about two months old, could be given proper care.

The forest department may keep them at the tissue culture centre of Dhaka Botanical Garden, a source, who was present in the meeting, said.

"We will keep the tiger cubs somewhere in the capital or nearby but are yet to fix the place," said Yunus Ali, chief conservator of forests, after the meeting. He added that the experts would visit one or two places today.

Prof Anwarul Islam, a member of the expert committee, visited the mini zoo yesterday. Expressing apprehension, he said, the cubs were kept in a very filthy environment and they should be moved from there immediately to any government facility.

"It is pitiful," Anwarul said, “that Rab had had to hand the cubs over to a private zoo due to a lack of government facilities.”

The curator of Dhaka Zoo, Shahidullah, was widely criticised as he appeared reluctant to keep the cubs in the zoo, sources in the meeting said.

"I am reluctant as I am not sure if they [tiger cubs] carry any disease," he said, adding no medical test had been done on them yet.

Dhaka Zoo had animals worth millions of taka and the authorities could not put them at the risk of getting infections, Shahidullah noted. He, however, did not take any move to conduct the medical tests.

Yesterday, it was observed in the mini zoo that the tiger cubs, underweight and weak, had been transferred to a bigger cage from the one they were in the previous day. And a sticker on the cage names them Hira, Chuni and Panna.

Meanwhile, Rab filed a case accusing trafficker Abdul Kader and his son Masud Hossain with Sher-e-Bangla Nagar Police Station on Tuesday for poaching the tiger cubs in the Sundarbans, said Officer-in-Charge Zakir Hossain Mollah.

AHM Anwar Pasha, executive magistrate of Rab, on Monday jailed Zakir and his mother Jahanara Begum for two years as they confessed to the crime while the main culprits, Abdul Kader and his elder son Masud, were on the run

Comment
I contacted Wildlife Protection Society based in India and Washington DC. I am pleased to get the following assuring response from the New Delhi based Society: We are already in dialogue about the rescue and possible rehabilitation of these three cubs. I understand that the Bangladesh authorities are already in touch with international zoos that have been particularly successful at hand-raising small tiger cubs.

The know-how for raising small tiger cubs is well documented. However, releasing captive-raised cubs back into the wild is a very, very tricky business. The chances of success are probably enhanced if they can eventually be placed in a large enclosure in their natural habitat, with the bare minimum contact with humans. This method succeeded with two small female cubs that were rescued in Kanha Tiger Reserve in May 2005, and eventually released - six years later - into the wild in Panna Tiger Reserve in March and November 2011.

With best wishes, Belinda

Belinda Wright

Executive Director, Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI)

: Robin more comments (1)
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks WS. I really hope so, it doesn't bear thinking about, those poor little cubs.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks WS - I hope these little ones are moved and looked after property ASAP Crying or Very sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:44 pm

thank you WS for all these! :)
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 pm

i am trying to find the email id or contact number of the person who is in charge of the 3 cubs...by tomorrow hope i will find some details! i even sent an email to the daily star news reporter to forward your message to the authority...lets see how much they will do!
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Tiger poachers can be shot 768480 Well done Zebeen, the faster these 3 Cubs get some expert advice the better, they can go downhill very quickly. I am surprised the Authorities, or Dhaka Zoo, have no knowledge of how to care for Tiger Cubs, and the Directors excuse for not having the Cubs due the threat of disease is pathetic. They must have isolation facilties, for any animals that are ill. At least the Wildlife Society of India in New Dehli have got involved, and that should be good news for the Cubs, as long as indecision, and politics, dont get in the way

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Nice one Zebeen - I hope you bring us a good update Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 am

Well done Zabeen, fingers crossed you get some good news for us and most importantly the cubs.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Tiger poachers can be shot Empty tiger cubs update!

Post  zabeen Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:07 am

thank you all for the encouragement! :)
well i do have some mixed updates, ...the good one is i got the contact number of Dr. Wadud, the 3 cubs are with him now at Hatirpool Mini Zoo..his phone number is 880-1715-327133!
i spoke to him 10 mins back and he told me that no one here knows anything about raising the cubs, no expert is here and he is having a tough time! and if some foreign expert is not involved the cubs wont be able to survive long! i even asked him that according to the news of Daily Star today, the cubs will be shifted to Botanical Garden, under Forest Department...but he told me that its not true...the cubs are still with him and no one has taken the responsibility yet to shift them anywhere!

i even asked him about his email id but he told me that anyone from abroad can call him on his cell phone as he doenst use email much!
so if possible please contact Dr. Wadud directly or suggest me what to do next! thanks....
zabeen
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:40 am

Zabeen the only organisation I can think of is Born Free Foundation. They have just recued a lion cub so know about all different types of big cats.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next