Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off

5 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 Empty Re: Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Those a looking really beautiful now Littlewid - such pretty colours.

Ours are looking great, very tall and leggy but plenty of lilac, white, and a few pale pink and no hectic pink What a Face I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 Empty Re: Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off

Post  littlewid Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Sounds like we have similar colours Lai and look forward to seeing yours tomorrow hopefully.

They really do smell gorgeous don't they and I am now wishing I had more of them, I think next year I will try and grow my own little plants from seed and then bring them on, I have really enjoyed seeing all the PEAS grow and then flower and the flowering is not over yet flower

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Just shown Mrs S yours LW, she says they look really lovely. We started ours from plants. we have no white ones yet, creams, pinks, lilacs, and some reds coming.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Thank you Mrs S Very Happy I don't have any dark colours, my Mauve is the darkest I have and on the second pic, I know both of the closest flowers look white but the flower on the left is my very pale yellow one, its the only one so far, I have been watching for a peachy one but so far no luck.

These were started as seeds that my neighbours mum grew and then I planted the little plant but I want to grow from seed next year and see what luck I have and i'm hoping to row a few tubs of them.

littlewid-x-

littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 pm

We were a bit late starting this year, as we had'nt thought of growing them till you posted youre, thats why we went for plants. Like you we are going to do more pots next year, but we are going to buy some pots that are broad at the bottom. The one we used this year is very wide the top, but small at the base, thats why it kept blowing over.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:04 am

Well done on the Pea off. All the flowers are beautiful and the colours are magnificent.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 am

As I am not here on Wednesday as I am off to Monkey world, I thought I would post my PEA Pics today flower
I took this picture last night just before I did my second cutting.
Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 Img-2013
And here are my lovely Sweet Peas......I kept the second cuttings for myself Very Happy
Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 Img-2014
My living room smells gorgeous and thankfully the cats have left them alone.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:57 am

Yours are blooming well now LW cheers , and they look lovely in the vase, and I bet they do smell so good.
Ours blew over in the wind again yesterday affraid So now I've jammed two bags of rock salt that we bought for last winter, but did'nt use, as they've forcast more wet windy weather on Wednesday Mad . So I took our pics today, as Mrs S is going to do our second cut today as well.
You can see their bending a bit with falling over
Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 00411
but we are getting lots of different colours now
Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 00111
including this unusual one. Yesterday it was deep Purple, but today it looks virtualy black
Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 00312

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 71418 Beautiful S.PEAS Littlewid and WS - such delicate colours Littlewid. Mrs S's S.PEAS are superb WS, so tall and a lovely deep magenta red (?)

I picked a tiny bunch first thing this morning but they are leggy now and full of greenfly What a Face they do smell gorgeous though.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks WS and Lai. Mine are quite pale colours but they do pack a wonderful smell Very Happy

Mrs S's are looking gorgeous WS, mine have got a bit be draggled with all the weather and they have been over a few times as well. Like you said in an earlier post about a bigger pot, I am going to do the same next time, put them in a much deeper pot and a heavier one as well so they hopefuly stay upright next time.

I am loving the colours of Mrs S's they are stunning deep colours and the Magenta( going with Lai's description as i'm sure she is right) one is lovely, we must have different strains of S PEAS as it does make a difference in colour and smell doesn't it......is that right?

Right, Help please from the expert growers.......as the flowers die off and you get left with a bean shaped pod, I take it that is where the seeds are, now do you take those off and dry them out and then extract the seeds and use them for planting and if so, how long do you dry them out for and when should you start to plant the seeds and can you keep the seeds from this years plant to plant next year.......or is it easier to buy seeds and plant them up.......advice please expert growers Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:43 pm

We do have some deep magenta ones, but the one on its own in the photo, is a very deep purple. I measured them when we came back today, and they are just over 7ft tall. When you get your post LW, make sure its wide at the bottom, thats where we made our mistake
How to collect your seeds LW
Allow the flowers to age, fade and drop on their own.
Where the blossom was attached to the vine, a string bean-like pod will form to encase the seeds.The pod will first appear as a bright, medium shade of green. As the pod matures, it will "puff" with the growth of the seeds.The color of the pod will phase to a dull yellow-green and when the seeds are fully mature, the pod will turn light brown,about the color of a paper bag.At this light brown stage, they may be pinched from the plant. Place the pods on a plate and allow them to dry indoors for several days.Adjust timeframe for the humidity in your own environment.The pods will begin to split open at their seams as they dry. You can encourage the pod to open by running the edge of your fingernail along the pod seam, then spread the pod open with your fingers to reveal the seeds.Gently push the seeds out of the pod and back onto the plate. Allow them to dry on the plate for a few more days.Store the harvested seeds in a paper packet or envelope until you are ready to plant them

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:53 pm

cheers for that WS, that really explains it well and even I can't mess that up, i'm looking forward to growing mine from seed.

Maybe you could send me some of Mrs S's seeds as I really do love the colours of yours and then I could have a mixture of my light coloured ones and Mrs S's deeper coloured ones........Mrs S and I could do a swapsie of seeds Very Happy

WOW......7ft tall, that is some growing, mine certainly aren't that tall but I will surely get pots that are much wider. My cage thing is fairly wide I suppose but as it's made of cane it's not very heavy so it didn't stand much chance in the wind.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:05 pm

If you look at our first pics. Mrs S bought hooped canes, we had three, and positioned them one over the other at even spaces, Then tied them at the top, and covered it with plastic netting you can get from most garden centres ,and all the times the pot has blown over, they have never moved. So at least they've kept the SP's reasonably safe.
WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Just checked back on your pics WS and I see the canes and netting......I will do the same next time as well, I wont buy another cane thing as they are too light to stop them going over in the wind.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 am

cheers WS - I've been looking at the seed pods wondering whether I should be collecting them scratch

One to remember for later in the week I think.

Thanks.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Sweet Pea seed growing advice
http://www.sweetpeas.org.uk/how.htm

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

cheers WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 pm

More beautiful pictures LW and WS of your peas flower You've both done really well with them. Love the colour of that dark purpled one WS Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 am

Wednesday's PEA off - ours are now very leggy and full of greenfly What a Face but we've a few looking okay.

Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 2012-010

Quite a pretty two tone purple one (out of focus on mobile Embarassed )
Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 2012-011 - oops just spotted all those weeds!

Lai Very Happy

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 am

You should have cropped the pic Lai Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 40683 . You still have some great colours though, shame about the greenfly, perhaps you need to spray them. Yours look quite tall as well. Glad I took the photos of our earlyier, its blowing a gale now, although the rain has'nt arrived yet.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 am

Mrs S's, Lai's & Littlewid's Pea Off - Page 5 40683 I know WS - done in haste with Dropbox. Oooooooh please keep the rain your side of the hills, we're okay here so far!

Hope Mrs S's S.PEAS survive the gales and rain.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

They are really beautiful Lai I love you love all the different colours flower
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks Doogs. Yesterday afternoon we had torrential Raining today they look a bit sad!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Your PEAS look lovely Lai flower and yours are tall as well, mine haven't got that tall but they are leggy if that makes sense. I love the Purple ones Very Happy .........i didn't notice the weeds......you should have kept silent Very Happy

Hope your PEAS are ok with the wind and rain WS. I came home last night quite late and it was blowing a hooley here and my PEAS had blown over, I stood them up but they had received a bashing during the day and the evening. I have just removed any mangled bits and fed and watered them so hopefully they will pick up a bit again.

I wonder how long we are all going to have our PEAS for and I hope you can get those Greenfly to buzz off Lai Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 am

It blowing a gale today, hoping to go and pick some S.PEAS at lunchtime if it's not tipping down.

Hope yours are okay Littlewid after their bashing. It's a rotten summer for S.PEAS.

Are yours still standing WS ?

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next