Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Lions Killed in Nairobi

4 posters

Go down

6 Lions Killed in Nairobi Empty 6 Lions Killed in Nairobi

Post  chui Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 am

Coverage of the tragic loss of 6 lions butchered in Nairobi yesterday near the Nairobi National Park - sad day for wildlife in Kenya! My blood boils!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Death of lions a big loss, says Wekesa - http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Outrage+as+morans+kill+six+lions+in+night+of+terror+/-/1056/1431868/-/h6kx2y/-/index.html

Police, KWS pursue Kitengela lion killers - http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000060174&story_title=Police,--KWS-pursue-Kitengela-lion-killers

Six lions killed in Kenyan capital Nairobi - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18522190
chui
chui

Back to top Go down

6 Lions Killed in Nairobi Empty Re: 6 Lions Killed in Nairobi

Post  chui Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:59 am

chui
chui

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Chui

Thanks for coming back and posting that as distressing as it is to read about and to also see the video.

We have often spoken about Human/Wildlife conflict and the effect these conflicts have on the humans source of income and the devastating effect it has on the lions and one that can't really be afforded with the numbers dwindling.

I find it very sad that cubs were killed, the future of Kenyas Lions and also Lionessess, the very lions that bring further life to the lion population of Kenya and also a valued income to the country.

To me, patience wasn't an issue here, waiting for the KWS vets to arrive, it sounded like a mob killing for revenge.

It seems to be an ongoing battle, we hear that farmers are recompensed for the loss of their livestock but in the video the villagers say they are not. I appreciate that their livestock are their liveliehood but surely the money from tourism that the lions bring in must surely count for something and with only about 2,000 left and loosing about 100 lions per year, they really need to help protect them and not mob gang kill them.

I understand I live here in England with no threat from lions at all and my life is very different from the Massai but I still find it very hard and extremely sad to get my head around this.

The other thing I want to mention is, Lions kill swiftly and cleanly, these poor lions were tortured to death by spearing and stabbing, how awful must that have been........on this one my heart truely goes out to those poor cubs, Lionessess and Juvenilles.

RIP Little Lions, the Lion world will miss you greatly I love you

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:22 am

That really is a big loss, especialy for the park as they only have 46 Lions, and for the Lion population in Kenya as a whole, its a shame they did'nt wait for KWS Rangers, and Vets to arrive. At the same time as LW said it's easy for us to sit in our homes, and criticise, we dont have the problem. From what I heard on the Video,it seems there is no actual Law in a Human Wildlife conflict situation, and they are also saying that they do not recieve compensation. The sooner a law is passed, clarifying the situation, and legaly binding compensation levels made, the better for all. We know the economic benifits of wildlife tourism for Kenya, and so it appears do the Government, and Parks, but I wonder how much actual benifit villagers like these see. They need to see an economic, or community benifit, to realise that long term its better to try to live along side wildlife rather than destroy it, and that if they see their livelyhoods being killed by predators, then they should be confident that they will recieve proper, and prompt compensation. I also think that, as that suburb of Nairobi is encroaching even further towards the park, that they need to put a stop to it before, there are more incidents like this, and even more Lions lost.
Thanks for posting Chui

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  chui Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:35 am

Picture gallery of the Gruesome Killings! Grrrrrrrrrrr!

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/-/1056/1432016/-/yct8x7z/-/index.html
chui
chui

Back to top Go down

Post  chui Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:36 am

The 2 lions still out there went back on Wednesday night and killed more livestock! Dont know why KWS cant put them back in the park! They will be butchered for sure!

Kenyan lions in revenge attack in Kitengela - http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000060264&story_title=Kenyan-lions-in-revenge-attack-in-Kitengela
chui
chui

Back to top Go down

Post  chui Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:53 am

chui
chui

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 pm

This news just gets more upsetting Chui. To me it doesn't sound like it has to do with revenge for the livestock they have lost but just a huge game to kill Lions and obtain tails as trophys, there does not seem to be much respect for the lion at all.

I now pray the two remaining Lions stay safe ( for some reason I couldnt get the first article to display the story).
Why on earth aren't the KWS tracking them down and getting them back in the park, especially as they know what will happen to them, we are going to end up with two more dead lions.

As the second article says, lions do not diferentiate between wildlife and livestock, to them they are just more prey, it is not their fault.
WS makes some good comments in that the communities need to see the benefit and have some of the benefit that lions bring to the economy of Kenya to help put a stop to the awful killings of animals only doing what comes naturally to them.

I just wish there was more we could do to help.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:25 pm

I could open the first one, really sad pictures. I could'nt find the article on the second, I think the paper, has updated to the latest issue.
I get the impression that what started out as livestock protection, turned into a killing frenzy, that went completely out of control, thats clear from the fact that they were taking trophys.
I cannot understand why KWS, have not taken any action over the two remaining Lions. Anyone who's interested in wildlife knows that once a predator finds an easy prey scource, they will return time, and time again. It aplies to all species, not just Lions. So to me it's unbelievable that KWS have not sorted this out, and as LW says will proberbly be killed. We have not only lost 6 Lions, and potentialy 2 more, which is a loss numericaly wise, but is also a devastating blow to the gene pool of the area, given the reduction in number of Lions in Kenya

WS
Ps Chui do you know any news of what happened to the 3 Cheetah Cubs that were removed the Mara to the Nairobi Orphenage. The last we hear was that they were waaiting for a decision from the head of KWS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Panthera Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 pm

No LIONS!!!

Panthera

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content