Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lioness is being STARVED

+4
Doogs
RMorr50912
Laikipia
whitestarling
8 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lioness is being STARVED Empty Lioness is being STARVED

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:17 am

The Petition Link

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/786/840/821/rescue-animals-in-eygpt-zoos/?cid=FB_Share
Media Campaign
We are also starting a media campaign to get newspapers to run this story please email The Daily Mail at news@dailymail.co.uk .In the UK, more newspaper links will be added
The Story
Female Lioness in danger of Death from anorexia at Egypts Alexzandria Zoo
Lioness is being STARVED 121

This is from Ronnie
I know people are contacting every ORG they can think of, Born Free, George Adamson Wildlife trust, and many others. This can't be allowed to happen.
A link to the Story on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=345676072175814&set=a.345676065509148.79248.345657128844375&type=1&theater
A link to Born Free Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/bornfreefoundation
Please post your comments here, and also email Born Free at zoocheck@bornfree.org.uk
Egypt's Shame

More shameful photos that are upsetting to see, but show whats going on
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=345676072175814&set=a.345676065509148.79248.345657128844375&type=1&theater

This Lioness needs all the support the World Of Animal Lovers can give her

WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 am; edited 10 times in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Lioness is being STARVED Empty Re: Lioness is being STARVED

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Sad What a pityful photo of a beautiful lioness.

I will look at all the links later, thanks WS and Ronnie.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks for getting this up so quickly WS. This seems to me to be an urgent matter from her condition in the photo. I'll see if I can find any more info when I get home from work this evening. One thing I do know is the Anorexia story is bunk! Last time I checked lions don't have body image issues! She's not being fed properly!

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:36 pm

I Agree Ronnie. If she isn't eating properly it is down to bad management on their part, illness, boredom or something but most certainly not anorexia!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I agree Ronnie, and Lai. Thats why I put Starving in the title, and not anorexia, thats a load of rubbish Mad . Thanks for looking for any more info, on what we can do for this poor Lioness Ronnie
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:06 pm

I've only recently gotten home from work, but so far I've not been able to find any news stories on this situation. From looking around FB there is a lot of e-mail efforts going on to various animal welfare groups. One post in a group I'm in has over 100 responses. One thing I have done is post the link on the Cee4life FB page. If they get involved they'll keep the heat on if nothing else. I'll keep trying to find out more and will let you all know what I can find.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks Ronnie, I've been looking as well, but like you I've not been able to come up with anything new at the moment. Good idea to send the link to Cee4life's FB page, I'll also put it on our FB Page, and keep looking
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:35 am

Just Googled, Lion Starving in Alexzandria Zoo, and our Forum is at the top of the Page on Google, not sure if this helps, but at least people are going get some information at least. I have also tweeted this on WAA's twitter account, and contacted Big Cat Rescue 4 Paws to see if they can help, or suggest anything
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 am

Great team work WS and Ronnie. I would have thought/hoped that if Born Free Foundation are involved that something will be done - they are normally very pro-active.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm

What a shocking, shocking picture that has made me Sad and also very Mad at how pitiful this poor lioness looks. I saw on FB there are numerous people trying to help this lioness but it seems it's an ongoing problem with zoos in Egypt and its very very difficult to get anything positive done out there Crying or Very sad But if people keep trying you just never know . . . .
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 pm

This was posted by Born Free on their FB page yesterday.

Born Free Foundation
Yesterday
We have received quite a few emails about the lioness at Alexandria Zoo, reportedly in need of medical attention. Sadly, the conditions at Alexandria Zoo are quite common in many zoos in Egypt. The zoo holds many lions, but they do not seem to have the expertise or the funds to meet even their basic welfare needs, yet they allow the animals to breed, which is only adding to their problems.

The s...ituation regarding this lioness is very concerning as it would appear that the zoo does not even have access to vital veterinary equipment. Born Free has raised our concerns with the Egyptian authorities, and also with WAZA and PAAZAB urging them to assist Alexandria Zoo, as both these organisations’ claim to promote best practice in zoos and encourage better animal welfare and husbandry.See more

I am really shocked to see this, disgusted just doesn't cover how I feel. Thanks Ronnie and WS for all the efforts you have made so far inhighlighting this and trying to get help.

It is incredibly worrying to see this Lioness like this, she is clearly starving and by the look of her she is so starved you don't know if it has started to affect her internal organs and her muscles and whether she can actually come back from this. Sadly Anorexia is not just about body image, which obviously Lions do not have, Anorexia also means the inability to feel hunger to be able to eat and starvation is a result of Anorexia, this Lioness has been starved which has led to Anorexia which has resulted in starvation and that leads to a painful death.

I am wondering if we should hit the Newspapers over here and also some of the leading Zoos. Born Free from their FB page seem to have taken the stand of trying to get the Egyptian bodies to step up but as they say there is no control of Zoos over there, so maybe either the British Media can help or our Zoos that do have controls, some may be willing to enter into talks with the Zoo.

I am willing to sit and write/email the papers and Zoos tomorrow evening when I get in from work but if anyone else thinks it's a good idea and want to go ahead tomorrow during the day, please do, we need to try and get help fast.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks for the information on anorexia LW, did realise thats how it worked. Good idea on the Papers, and Zoos, unfortunatly I'm working tomorrow, so wont be able to do anything in the daytime, but I might try to see if I can get a list of Pares, and Zoos email contact information, and post it that might help. Also Ronnie might like to suggest this course of action to the other groups he's a member of who are as concerned as us. The least we can do is try, and I'd rather fail trying, than fail to try
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Sorry WS didn't mean to write stuff that people already knew, I was just trying to clarify about Anorexia.

yes good idea about Ronnie hopefully trying to do the same with the groups he is a member of, the more people on the case the better and as you say, its better to try and fail than to do nothing. I am happy to mail as many people as possible tomorrow evening but yes please anyone else who want to email papers and zoos please do.

Another thing they need to do is to stop the breeding otherwise there are going to be more Lions like this.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:38 pm

No need to say sorry LW, I meant I did'nt realise it worked that way, I thought it was not wanting to eat, not that it created the inability to eat.
List of email addresses for UK National Newspapers for anyone to use
National papers E mail addresses Contact
BBC News mark.popescu@bbc.co.uk Mark Popescu
BBC matt.frei@bbc.co.uk Matt Frei
BBC peter.barron@bbc.co.uk Peter Barron
Channel 4 news@channel4.com Jim Gray
Daily Express news.desk@express.co.uk Peter Hill
Daily Mail news@dailymail.co.uk Paul Dacre
Daily Mail andy.simpson@dailymail.co.uk Andy Simpson
Daily Mail j.harper@dailymail.co.uk J Harper
Daily Mail money.mail@dailymail.co.uk; Money Editor
Daily Mirror andy.rudd@mirror.co.uk Andy Rudd
Daily Mirror investigate@mirror.co.uk Andrew Penman
Evening Standard geordie.greig@standard.co.uk Geordie Greig
Evening Standard news@standard.co.uk Political Editor: Joe Murphy
Financial Times Email the Editor Lionel Barber
Guardian alan.rusbridger@guardian.co.uk Alan rusbridger
Independent newseditor@independent.co.uk Roger Alton
Independent a.hamilton@independent.co.uk A Hamilton
Independent j.hari@independent.co.uk J Hari
Independent s.kelner@independent.co.uk S Kelner
Mail on Sunday news@mailonsunday.co.uk Peter Wright
Metro news.london@ukmetro.co.uk Sarah Getty
MetroMoney metromoney@ukmetro.co.uk Kenny Campbell
MetroMoney news.scotland@ukmetro.co.uk Kie Miskelly
News of the World newsdesk@notw.co.uk Colin Myler
Observer nick.cohen@observer.co.uk; Nick Cohen
Sunday Express news.desk@express.co.uk Martin Townsend
Sunday Times editor@sunday-times.co.uk The Editor
Sunday Times newsdesk@sunday-times.co.uk John Witherow
Sunday Times david.budworth@sunday-times.co.uk David Budworth
Telegraph ian.cowie@telegraph.co.uk Ian Cowie
Telegraph paul.farrow@telegraph.co.uk Paul Farrow
Telegraph joshua.rozenberg@telegraph.co.uk Joshua Rozenberg
Telegraph Martin.Newland@telegraph.co.uk Martin Newland
Telegraph money@telegraph.co.uk Money Editor
Telegraph steeda@telegraph.co.uk; A Steed
The Times news@timesonline.co.uk James Harding
The Times alex.frean@the-times.co.uk Alex Frean
The Times valerie.elliott@the-times.co.uk Valerie Elliott
The Times home.news@the-times.co.uk Home News Editor
The Times foreign.news@the-times.co.uk Foreign News Editor
Freelance paul@paullewis.co.uk Paul Lewis
Freelance rachelfixsen@compuserve.com Rachel Fixsen
Daily Mail letters@dailymail.co.uk The Editor
Daily Mirror mailbox@mirror.co.uk The Editor
Economist letters@economist.com The Editor
Evening Standard letters@standard.co.uk Joshua Neicho
Express letters@express.co.uk The Editor
Financial Times mailto:letters.editor@ft.com The Editor
Guardian letters@guardian.co.uk The Editor
Independent letters@independent.co.uk The Editor
Mail on Sunday letters@mailonsunday.co.uk The Editor
Metro mail@ukmetro.co.uk The Editor
News of the World newsdesk@notw.co.uk The Editor
Observer letters@observer.co.uk The Editor
Peoples press lettersed@peoples-press.com The Editor
Sunday Times letters@sunday-times.co.uk The Editor
The Times letters@the-times.co.uk The Editor

Clearly some are not suitable, so leave them out. At least you can do one email and copy it to the rest. I will try to do some tomorrow from the Forum as well
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 am

The situation at the Alexandria Zoo is worse than we thought. Theses are a couple of comments on the Born Free FB Page
Paul Wain. Alexandria Zoo has actually refused offers of help from local wildlife charities. They have in the last 2 years recieved funding to improve the conditions there, a new watering system was built to all enclosures by a charitable trust yet it is not used! Most enclosures still have buckets (empty, usually) of water for the animals. The place is totally mismanaged and animals are suffering appalling conditions, many simply left to die. Yet the Zoo director has links to CITIES, it's terrible.
Thanks for your intervention.

Paul Wain. The zoo director actually tried to claim the lioness had anorexia!!
They have refused independant vets access to the lioness so they can only assess her state from outside the enclosure. She is desparatley in need of medical attention but I fear it will never come.

Perhaps we should also be contacting CITIES. I fear we may be to late to save this poor Lioness, but perhaps we can help save the other Animals there from a similar fate

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 am

Excellent Idea WS and LW! It certainly can't hurt to get the word out to as many as possible. Paul Wain is a member of the group I am one of the admins for. He has really been doing a lot of work trying to contact as many of the animal welfare orgs as possible, but so far most of the responses have been typical talk about resources and how they wish they could help but, maybe if you try this group, you know how it goes. Seems a lot of passing the buck. I'll make the suggestion, like you've both said I too would rather fail trying than fail to try! If any of these news groups can be interested into doing a story at least it will put this in a bigger spotlight.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 am

Thanks Ronnie. I've had another thought, I'm not sure how it would work, and it does'nt matter which group starts it, because its to save Animals, but how about a Twitter campaign to get Tourists to boycott Egypt over the treatment Animlas are getting in their Zoos, it proberbly would'nt get many to boycott, but the it might make the Egpytian Aothorities sit up over bad publicity, as they really need Tourists for their economy. I've not used Twitter much so someone with experience would be best to kick it off, then we could all pile in behind
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks Ronnie, WS and Littlewid for all the updates. Deeply shocking and distressing especially as help has been offered.

Remember how the Daily Mail got behind the story of Anne the elephant? That was a good example of how the media can help.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Some great ideas on here everyone and I will try to get round to doing something positive to help.

Just some info re CITIES that I saw from someone on FB who seems to have a connection with animal welfare issues :-

"We've been fighting CITIES for ages about conditions of zoos etc for a long time. All animals go to a zoo called Giza Zoo which is a terrible zoo and the manager of Giza is in the employer of CITIES. All the zoo's Directors, CITIES are all in it together and sticking together" Sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm

No Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad two very bad links Doogs. Tragic to see.

Taken from Born Free Foundation website.

Zoo check
The Welfare of Animals in Captivity

Throughout the world, millions of animals are kept captive for our entertainment. Whether in zoos, circuses, animal shows or marine parks, wild animals suffer physically and mentally from the lack of freedom that captivity imposes. Born Free believes such confinement and exploitation should be a thing of the past.

The Zoo Check programme is at the heart of Born Free, and since 1984 has worked to prevent captive animal suffering and phase out zoos

and

About travellers' animal alert
Born Free receives thousands of reports from the public concerning the exploitation of animals witnessed in the UK or whilst travelling abroad. Travellers’ Animal Alert in action:

Born Free responds to travellers’ concerns about animal exploitation in captivity or in the wild:

Born Free addresses public concerns and seeking improvements to animal welfare or relevant national legislation within the country

Born Free encourages the public to alert Born Free of any wild animal welfare problems they may see on their travels both at home and abroad

Born Free generates greater public awareness of the issues surrounding wild animal suffering and exploitation

Born Free influences and encourages a greater respect for animals

You can help – send us your reports

Have you seen animals in poor conditions in a zoo, or abused in a circus or dolphinaria? Did you experience bad practice during a wildlife safari or viewing excursion? Are you concerned about a dancing bear you’ve seen, or animals in a side show or used as a photographic prop? Born Free wants to hear from YOU. The more information we receive the more animals we can try to help.

Surely this lioness comes under this description.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Have'nt got much time to respond to your posts Guys, but I will more in depth later.
Yes Lai she certainly does, so whats Born Free doing about it, by the looks of their response so far Nothing
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:42 pm

I am totally confused by the reaction or lack of reaction by Born Free. I realise you can't just go in to another country and demand to treat an animal or animals but surely they are the organisation to put pressure on.

Another case they were successful with was the two dolphins. They are the only organisation I can think of so perhaps it is now over to the media.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm short on time too, my lunch is almost over but there is a lot of activity on FB concerning this. Who knows if anything can be done to save this lioness at this point but something needs to be done for all the other animals suffering in these horrid zoos. Hopefully Born Free can get some attention on this at least.

PS
I added a link to the FB page where the picture originated to the WAA FB page

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks Ronnie I will check that out. I've been thinking some more about emailing papers, I think it could be a good idea if we picked just one and then cordinated so that everyone emailed on the same day it might have a lot more effect, and I think as Lai says media pressure is the way forward at the moment, as no wildlife organisation seems to be making a move on this. The Daily Mail would be a good one to start with here in the UK, thy did do a great job on Anne the Elephant
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next