Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Some Bella Pics

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Some Bella Pics

Post  littlewid on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:51 pm

"HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY BELLA"    Great photos GR and it looks as though Bella had a great birthday. Both Bella and Leo look really well.

Yep we look forward to the christmas piccies in January  lol! 

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Fab pictures GR and belated birthday greetings to Bella  I love you  

They are such a pair of cuties   
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks for forgiving me and my slackness comrades  Razz Only three days until the pooches get more pressies. Must charge up those camera batteries!
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Definitely charge up those batteries GR, don't do a littlewid and let them run flat..........that's never very helpful  No .......looking forward to the Christmas piccies  Mouse Stocking 

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:00 am

Sorry I haven't been on here much lately. Everytime I go to a new page I get this search engine on the side of my webpage that pops up, and I don't know how to get rid of it. It can be rather infuriating. Also I am back at work now and rather busy. Had a full weeks work that had built up so it's been a bit of a case of mission impossible attempting to catch up!

So okay, some news about my habits with my dogs. A confession to make for starters. I never pick up after them. Actually most people in Melbourne don't, though it is officially against the law, I think. Anyhoo, I was walking with my Dad last Sunday and a guy really cracked it with us for not doing it, so since then I've attempted to do so. Over the holidays a lot of times I'd be wandering about on the streets and come across cigarette smoke, and that can rather annoy me, as it's just others bringing upon negativity to you when you don't deserve it. So I suppose I thought of that a little with the dog stuff, though having said that, I personally don't see the fuss with them going on someone's nature strip as there is usually no garden there and people don't use it (I've never seen anyone sunbake on it for example), plus that stuff is just natural and good for the environment I think, but then again it's like with a lot of things that people get offended by; there might not be logic to it, but I should still accept and understand their offence taken...

Something I immediately realised with the pick ups is that the fun seemed to be immediately washed away from the walk. The freedom was gone, and attempting to pick up with a tissue in one hand whilst holding a plastic bag and the lead (with 2 dogs pulling to continue walking) in the other is not easy, especially too when it is windy! Also, I really could argue that not picking up is less offensive then all of my  Censored !

So I am interested to discuss this topic with my British friends.

Yesterday I had my first fun walk for a while. We went out to the bike track area and I didn't pick up. I don't see how people can be negatively affected if they go in a non personal place/space which is also not a park area. So for the first time this week I put the music on (Ipod) and smiled a lot  Very Happy 
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:51 am

In the UK we have to poop scoop and to be honest I think we should public parks and places full of dog poop are pretty grim with kids running round. Dog poop carries all sorts of disease and I scoop our garden every 2 or 3 days  What a Face 

If you were running GR and slipped on a pile of dog poop you probably would think about it  affraid 

I know it's unpleasant scooping but it's a legal requirement here in the UK.

Lai

Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 am

Perhaps around my area people just aren't particularly offended by anything. After all, I haven't been bashed (or even yelled at) yet when wearing the Onesie  Razz 

That their 'stuff' carries diseases and that is interesting, but what makes it different or more dangerous than pigeon poop, possum poop, squirrel poop and so on?

I can't believe you scoop out your garden!!! Yes that is most definitely  affraid Laughing You can be sure to know that I will never do that  Very Happy 

Parks for sure should not have dog poop. Tonight Leo went rather early, and I had about a dozen flies for company the rest of the way  Razz It is very warm at the moment though, so that was the main reason. Leo's natural smell is not that bad  Laughing 

I think that a good tactic I can do (especially if I have the energy to walk long distance) is just wander around very locally, then once they've cleared out their system return home, bin up, then walk immediately again with freedom. Or offer them a drink just before that first. My dogs are quite strange in that often they will not drink much water. Leo does a little more than Bella, but even on these really hot days they don't seem to need that much.

Then again, the past couple of days I've been giving them heaps of treats in a ice-block! They really love it. It's cooling, it's challenging to lick and bite into the ice to attempt to get the prize, and then the eventual outcome is that they do, so everyone's a winner! It takes them about 2-3 minutes to extract the treat. I have a whole tray now dedicated to their blocks. My Mum gave me the idea for this and it's really great.

With the dogs in the heat, Leo is especially a fan of Mr  sunny as he is regularly outside. Like we just had a long weekend and so he could spend heaps of time in the yard with me home, and much of the time he is just content to laze about out there, but he is smart not to get sunstroke as he doesn't stay in the direct sun for long, loving to sit in the shade in his dirt bed that he has carved quite a groove in  Very Happy 

GR  flower  lol! 

P.S. I used to run almost daily but hardly ever stepped on the stuff, so either I just had a sixth sense or people generally do the right thing.

P.S.2. Which is to not walk their dogs where I ran obviously  Razz 
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Oh dear GR, you would definitely not get on in the UK with your Pooches. As Lai say's it is against the law here and you will be fined. Dog Poo does carry disease and its part of the requirement that if you are going to be a responsible dog owner then you have to scoop the poo and personally I totally get infuriated when people don't, its really irresponsible.......and you don't scoop your own yard  affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid  OMG it must stink at times and be a fly and maggot heaven  What a Face 
Pigeon poo is cleaned up by the local councils, every so often they wash things down but its not quite realistic to compare Pigeon poo with dog poo, the Pigeons don't have responsible owners like dogs are supposed to do.
I am totally shocked that in Australia you can just let your dog poo and walk away, not sure I would want to walk the streets there at night time, god knows what you would take home with you  What a Face What a Face What a Face 
For the health of your own dogs you should clean your yard, layers of dog poo is a breeding place for all sorts of disease and maggots, maybe you have been lucky with them so far, but if one of them got a little injury on their paw or leg, you are just asking for something nasty to take up residence and breed bugs.
All public places have poop bins here and rightly so. I have picked up many a poo in the wind and rain with two dogs on a lead, in my mind there is no excuse for it.
I could go on and on about this and I can't even joke about it because its a serious health subject for humans, dogs and wildlife and the environment.

Heres just a few facts about leaving your dog poo lying around GR

I know it's not a nice subject but I find myself getting increasingly annoyed by silly comments made by people in an atempt to justify why they don't pick up their dogs mess.  Like most people I used to believe that the worst thing about dog poo was stepping in it or getting it on the wheels of pushchairs or bikes but after some research I've discovered there is a far more sinister consequence and there is not such thing as leaving dog poo to break down "naturally".

Here are the top 5 things you should know

The eggs from roundworms, Toxocara Canis, are deposited with the feaces and embryonate (becoming infectious) 2-3 weeks later. They can be viable for up to 10 years in the soil and are resistant to disinfectants and to the frost. Each toxocara canis female can lay 700 eggs per day and are only visible under a powerful microscope. If ingested by humans and untreated can cause infections to your organs most commonly the brain (nervous system), liver, lungs and your eyes causing tumours and detached retinas and can lead to blindness.

Dog poo does not act as a fertilizer, when it breaks down it leaves toxins in the ground which are harmful to other animals, humans and the environment. In the past farmers have been blamed for poisoning the land and rivers but it has now been proved that leaving dog waste on farm land can lead to sheep being infected with Canine worms, which doesn’t have an adverse affect on the sheep but if humans then eat the infected meat can lead to cysts on the liver and lungs which have to be removed surgically.

Dog poo being left to wash into rivers and seas is the equivalent of pumping our raw sewage into the water.

It is estimated that 20-30% of stream pollution is caused by the toxins from dog waste being washed in to the water system causing a build up in algae which is harmful to fish and by infecting the water with E-Coli, leading to the closer of some beaches.

It has been estimated that for watersheds of up to 20 square miles draining to small coastal bays, 2 -3 days of faeces from a population of 100 dogs would contribute enough bacteria and nutrients to close a bay to swimming (US EPA, 1993)

In America and Canada scientist are investigating ways to get a useful end product from dog waste, be it fertilizer or energy, a much better option than landfill.

As one learned journalist said "If you think stepping in it is bad, try drinking it!"  Makes you think doesn't it.

It's never good to leave dog poo, use a dicky bag, the complete dog fouling solution and spread the word to dog owners world wide.

Sorry I can't think of anything funny to say GR

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 am

That is good to give your full on opinion LW, and also to share the extra information. I certainly thought that all poo acted as a fertilizer, like nature works with nature sort of thing. On the subject of dog poo causing so much harm to the environment, how does this work with wild dogs, so actual wild dogs, dingoes, wolves (who all dogs are decendents of) etc? I always thought that it was just humans that stuffed up the environment, and therefore that everything in nature balanced itself out. Or is it the fact that humans feed their pet dogs processed food and stuff, and this makes their poo a negative on the environment, differing to wolves and other animals who only eat 100% natural foods?
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:52 am

I will attempt to post some old pics. These are from Christmas Eve last year:

gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 am

Nice pics of Bella and Leo and G  Giraffe   Giraffe  R

Lai  Laughing
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Just caught up with this.
Wild Dogs, Dingo's, and Wolves dont walk on pavements, or roam in play areas where children, and adults also walk, and  play, and have picnics ect. So to my mind anyone who does not pick up their Dog Feces, (and it is Feces, not poo that word seems to say it's harmless call it what it is) is a person who is inconsiderate, lazy, and thoughtless of of their fellow human beings that share the same area where they live. Sorry but thats how I feel about people who do this. It also gives Dogs themselves bad press, you say people do'nt shout at you, thats proberbly because they have'nt seen what your Dogs are doing outside there properties, or on the areas you visit. The times I have stepped in the stuff, if I had caught or seen the culprit with his/her Dog, you can be sure there would have been at least a shout, and I would proberbly have followed them home, and shoved it through there letter box, see how they like, it on their carpets.
Now if you cant understand the disease, and problems it causes I suggest you read the following.

Dog waste is an environmental pollutant. In 1991, it was labeled a non-point source pollutant by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), placing it in the same category as herbicides and insecticides; oil, grease and toxic chemicals; and acid drainage from abandoned mines.

Far from Fertilizer Woof-woof waste does not a good fertilizer make. It is actually toxic to your lawn, causing burns and unsightly discoloring.

Beyond your grass, it has been estimated that a single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans. EPA even estimates that two or three days’ worth of droppings from a population of about 100 dogs would contribute enough bacteria to temporarily close a bay, and all watershed areas within 20 miles of it, to swimming and shell fishing.

Dog feces are one of the most common carriers of the following diseases:
Heartworms
Whipworms
Hookworms
Roundworms
Tapeworms
Parvo
Corona
Giardiasis
Salmonellosis
Cryptosporidiosis
Campylobacteriosis

A Toxic Cycle
If you aren’t worried about the state of your local waterways, you may be a bit more concerned about the impact of dog waste a little closer to home. The thing about persistently disposing of stools improperly (or not at all) is that it kicks off a harmful cycle that can affect your whole family—including your pet.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), pet droppings can contribute to diseases animals pass to humans, called zoonoses. When infected dog poop is deposited on your lawn, the eggs of certain roundworms and other parasites can linger in your soil for years. Anyone who comes into contact with that soil—be it through gardening, playing sports, walking barefoot or any other means—runs the risk of coming into contact with those eggs; especially your dog.  

Some of the hard-to-pronounce parasites your lawn could harbor include Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Salmonella, as well as hookworms, ringworms and tapeworms. Infections from these bugs often cause fever, muscle aches, headache, vomiting, and diarrhea in humans. Children are most susceptible, since they often play in the dirt and put things in their mouths or eyes.  

Please think about all that, and how you are affecting your invironment for other people, especialy Children. Sorry if thats upset you GR, but I feel, strongly that pet owners should clean their own mess up, and yes we've had Dogs, and I hated doing it, but it was my responsibility to do the right thing.

WS

Admin

http://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Loving the pics of the Pooches at Christmas GR  I love you  I love you  I see your candles burning as well, I recognise those from a previous picture you posted, I think they were owls if I remember rightly  Owl 

I must say I totally agree with what you have written WS and GR for you I have found two articles in answer to your question, the first one is about Dingo poo (faeces) and the second one is about Wolf poo. Both are dangerous to humans and the environment. However, we can stop dog poo from being hazardous as we can pick it up. It is impossible to scoop all Dingo and Wolf poo in the wild so realistically you can not compare the two with picking up dog poo and being a responsible owner as we are talking about domesticated dogs with owners and wild animals with no owners.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/dingos-spread-deadly-parasites-to-humans/story-e6freoof-1226093394261

http://saveelk.com/wolf_081.htm

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:13 am

It was Bella's birthday on Saturday, so here are some photos, agreeable laptop permitting Razz

Ummm...forgetting how to do it, or it's slow. I did upload some photos onto facebook.

The day was all well and good...in the end. Bella got a new toy and is still quite pleased with that at the moment. I spent some quality time with them out in the yard taking in the sun too, though that's pretty usual on a weekend day Very Happy

Our walk was good; well most of it. We had a bit of a scary experience with another dog bounding up to us, and it was huge. It was fair to say that I went rather overboard into 'daddy' mode; would have fitted in well with Gordon Ramsay for about twenty seconds.

Fortunately the stranger got the message and didn't bite; turned around and went home. Bella was shaking (and hiding under the doona) for a while in the aftermath once we made it back home, but it just made me appreciate those fabulous furries all the more.

They are both in good spirits overall at present. I have them taking their flea/worming medication in pill form now, which is much easier and less stressful as they always used to roll on their backs with the liquid form and try and get rid of it and then lick it! Typical Jackies, always keeping me on my toes! But these pills are heaps better; it was worth the small effort to have the vet order them in specially; only was a few days wait.

I have continued to pick up after them too. Funnily enough there was a guy the other day who approached me and tried to get me not to do it! HaHa, but he just thought that I wasn't 'free' enough by doing that; in actual fact when he approached I was at total peace, listening to music and smiling, but he wouldn't have got that. It hasn't been a hassle doing it; I've got into routine, and the dogs don't mind waiting.

I really can't imagine my life without Bella and Leo. I still get a little overwhelmed by their love sometimes, and how much they make me smile. They're just awesome.

gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:38 pm

I saw your photos on Facebook G Giraffe R and it's good to know all is well with Leo and Bella. Well done for keeping up with the poop scooping and the flea and worming meds. We use tablets for worming and liquid for fleas, it is a pain as they do like to share the liquid!

Sorry to hear about the walk but knowing Leo and Bella I am sure they recoverd quickly with the odd scooby and new toy Very Happy

You are so right, our pets are just the best Group Hug

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:38 am

Yes, our pet's are the best!!

Funny that yours like the liquid meds too!!
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Bella I love you that walk sounded a bit fraught GR, Poor Bella but i'm glad to hear she is ok. Well done for keeping up with the flee and worm treatment and also the poop picking, you are a Like a Star @ heaven

Good to know the pooches are fine and i'm sure they had a glorious Christmas with you......spoilt rotten I bet Very Happy

Sending them both Group Hug

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:22 am

A Like a Star @ heaven sometimes.

A flower sometimes.

And at other times more like this Twisted Evil Laughing

Thanks for catching up on this thread LW! And great to have you back on board with us. This is wonderful cheers

GR Razz

P.S. Hope your furries are keeping well too Group Hug
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Awwwww thanks flower it's great to be back Very Happy. The furries are all fine thanks and keeping well which is always a bonus.

Keep the Bella and Leo pics coming, it's always great to see them........and you too of course you little Twisted Evil

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum