Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Zambia 2012 - South Luangwa National Park

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zambia 2012 - South Luangwa National Park

Post  Laikipia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:15 pm

I will post photos under a new thread when I have time to go through them properly!
.I am hoping this quality is better .... scratch

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Re: Zambia 2012 - South Luangwa National Park

Post  gregrowlerson on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Wonderful Lai! Our pestering has proved positive lol!

I have to have quick shower now and off to work, but I will try to catch this video at lunchtime. Looking forward to it, especially the yawning leopards Very Happy
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:48 pm

WOW Those are fantastic to see Lai thanks for sharing them with us. Loved all the different subjects, the Rollers, great in flight shots well done the lessons clearly paid off. The Zebras, the little ones gorgous. The Elephants with their small ones as well, and I'm sure GR wont be yawning when he sees the Leopard pics Love the necklace it looks as though its a medallion on a chain round the Leopards neck, and not forgetting the local Children, with their smileing faces, and last but not least great to see Jonathan

WS

Admin

http://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 am

Lovely photos Lai! WOW This really seems to be leopard country. Are they the major predator in Zambia (or at least in this national park)?

I can see that a lot of effort has gone into putting your video display together. Well, I can't even fully understand it as I have no idea of how to make such a video But I am guessing that you put a lot of time into it Thanks and cheers

The giraffe at 1:12 is great. I really like close up pics of giraffes! In fact you seem very close to the animals in many of the photos, particularly the elephants. Or is this just trick photography/excellent zoom?

I am very much a hippo fan, and this 'action' sequence you put together is wonderful. And those are some incredible leopard yawns at 4:30 Very Happy

And the verdict? I am not Sleeping

Laughing

Oh, and the very first picture almost looks likes one of our Australian kookaburras Shocked :)
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks WS (and for deleting the first one + comments from Doogs and I. I deleted it on Youtube so in fact it wouldn't have been there to view scratch ).

And thanks GR, you won't be surprised to know that I had over well 50 shots of that leopard yawning, I shoot bursts of 6 if I am watching action, as we watched him for an hour and he was in the mood for a good yawn!

Yes the leopard is king currently - there are no cheetah and for some reason the lions aren't there this year, last year we saw plenty and lots of cubs. The hyena don't hunt in packs like in Kenya but are solo.

We were very lucky with leopard sightings. The slideshow shows the young male leopard (about one year old) and the one up the tree was there with his sister (missed getting her) and now I can't remember if they were one and the same scratch

We were close to the action and I do have a reasonable lens so a bit of both really. I would love to have a 500 but couldn't lift it so am building up to that for the future!

The first pic is a Pied Kingfisher and he was very obliging sitting on the post in the middle of the river that we were driving through.

As you spotted this safari was about me trying to get some birds in flight as well as the big animals. But my all time favourite will always be the leopard I love you

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 am

Oh My Goodness Lai, that is just the most wonderful video clip So many special photo's and GR is right, you have so thought out how to put them all together, you have done such a fantastic job Like a Star @ heaven and yes, all those lessons have surely paid off and I now have a lot to live up to with my learning Very Happy

I too am a huge Hippo fan and I just loved that sequence, the animal pics are superb but I must say I loved all the people shots as well, they really do give a massive flavour of the country.

Your birds in flight are spectacular, I am so impressed and yes the Leopard Yawning is brilliant.

There are just so many wonderful pictures there and first thing this morning.......about 5.30 Sleep it put a massive Very Happy on my face and I can't wait to see the rest. You must be so proud of all those shots Lai

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:45 am

Embarassed Thanks Littlewid. Although I'm a bit slow at putting it all together, well in fact most of yesterday, (I took a sneaky day off) I do enjoy thinking about it and getting it all together.

My big problem is not putting in too many photos and trying to keep it to 5 minutes (um just realised I went over)

Anyway thanks for all your great comments.

Jonathan is a star teacher and has taught me masses. He has such an eye and when we were walking round the school he pointed out the shadows from the window frames and the shadows from the containers (the one with him walking through).

Littlewid, you know we love your photos and you've a good eye so we always look forward to your pics.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 pm

"Yes the leopard is king" - so therefore Zambian society is a model that ought to be adopted the world over Very Happy

That is interesting about the hyena's only working solo. I would have thought that everywhere they were pack hunters. And now I also know about this Pied Kingfisher. I learn heaps on here! Thanks

On a side topic, I have started watching a documentary series called Wildest Africa. Each episode showcases a country or area of the continent, and they have a good balance of about 70% animal life viewing, and about 30% dedicated to the tribes that live there. Oh, I would have to change those figures because weather is discussed a lot too, in all its extremes. The show is really well done and enjoyable.

gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 pm

WOW Lai, loved that montage of photos from your holiday WOW

Very well done for capturing the LBR's in flight - they are lovely and clear, nice one Wink - believe me I know how hard it is to get those shots so I know you've done a good job with them. Was that a Bee-eater you also managed to get in flight ?

Great to see some Grevvy zebra - that little one was all legs Very Happy

Lots of wonderful leopard pics, the one with the black sky is amazing then of course lots of my favourites, the yawning shots, they are brilliant, my what a big mouth he had !! affraid And yes after looking at a few shots I started yawning !! Laughing

Lots of great pictures of the kids, they are beautiful and obviously loved you going to visit I love you

Had a wee chuckle at the photo of Jonathan lol!

Really, really good Lai, loved looking at them Thanks
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:42 am

Gee thanks Doogs. Yup birds in flight Rolling Eyes practice practice practice and the LBR's are my favourite so I really tried, I have to confess I missed zillions though! That was a Carmine Bee-Eater in flight (well spotted) and also a Yellow Billed Kite.

The zebs are actually Crawshays (look similar to Grevy)

Crawshay's Zebra

The Crawshay's zebra is a subspecies of the plains zebra. It is native to eastern Zambia, east of the Luangwa River, Malawi, southeastern Tanzania and northern Mozambique south to the Gorongoza District.

Jonathan was posing for Ali and I to try and capture the shadows (a bit of a lesson going on) but I thought it was a fun shot so added it!

I really enjoy the kids they are so funny and natural, and love having their photos taken.

GR what channel is Wildest Africa on? Is it something we can get? I would love to watch it.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:53 am

Wildest Africa was on SBS television in Australia, but was originally from the UK I think, so it's likely that you could see it in a shop Lai, or just buy online.

I have it on DVD, so it should be a relatively easy find :)

Crawshay doesn't sound great, but it's a damn sight better than Lesser lol!

Greater-Lesser; why must we consider some thingys to be solely black and white.

zebra
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks GR. I'll check that out on Amazon or Ebay or something.

Is it this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wildest-Africa-DVD/dp/B0034DCMRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354800981&sr=8-1

Loving your thoughts on Greater and Lesser ....

So we've got Woodpeckers, Siren (looks like an eel What a Face ) Apes, Birds of Paradise, actually quite a few birds!

That's enough education for today cheers

Lai Reading
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:16 pm

That series was on here on one of the Sky channels, as you said GR they did one for quite a few continents inc Africa, and there was also one on China. Cant remember the others, but knowing Sky it will be repeated some time in the future
WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Oh that's even better news then. Thanks WS, I will keep an eye out for it.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Lai, here is a link for the DVD:

http://www.sbs.com.au/shop/product/category/DVDs/8587/Wildest-Africa

So actually I think the show did originate from Australia. On the back of the DVD it has 'Origin' with the union jack; perhaps that just indicates the language of the narrator Razz

Lots of greater and lesser! Thanks for the research buddy :)

WS, did they really do one on each continent? That could be a different series to this one. But there are soooo many animal docos around that it is easy to get confused
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Dont know if they are seperate series, but I found this on Eden Channel
Sky 532 | Virgin 208 | Also available in HD
Wildest Africa
Okavango
Awe-inspiring series exploring Africa's natural wonders. The Okavango Delta is a tranquil oasis within Botswana's desert, and the largest inland delta in the world.

When is it on?'Okavango' is on at 11.00am on Tuesday 8th January on Eden
When else is it on?
Awe-inspiring series exploring Africa's natural wonders. The Okavango Delta is a tranquil oasis within Botswana's desert, and the largest inland delta in the world.
On at
3.00pm on Tuesday 8th January on Eden
4.00pm on Tuesday 8th January on Eden +1
8.00pm on Tuesday 8th January on Eden
So you'll need to set your Sky box Lai as you'll be away in (Wait for it)
Wildest Africa lol! lol! lol!
But if you cant wait to see it on TV you can watch it on Daily Motion on this link
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xltk5g_wildest-africa_shortfilms

This is Wildest Asia its one hour documentary on Daily Motion so you need to give yourself time to watch it. Best idea is to click the link, and save it too favourites
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xltk9o_wildest-asia_shortfilms

WS
There is also a Wildest India that has been showing on New Zealans TV

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:35 am

You are spot leopard in Tree on with this WS. The first episode in my DVD collection is on the Delta!

By the way, I like your Lai travelling to Wildest Africa joke Razz
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks GR and WS for all those links and info.

WS - that's a good one and yes we sure will be in wildest Africa

I was looking through Sky etc last night and there are zillions of Africa related programmes and zillions of Wildest related programmes. I found one on Patagonia, Argentina which I've recorded (another stunning place) so I'll go and set my Sky+ now and then will have to give up work so I can watch all these amazing programmes cheers

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:10 pm

I watched the Wildest Asia one last night on my laptop. Some great footage, and the Snow Monkeys are fantastic, along with Tigers, baboons, and all sorts of Animals the only downer is that they are all under threat from poaching, and habitat loss. Which is so sad, but its well worth watching. There's also a Wildest South America, so as you say Lai loads to see
WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:48 am

A lovely collection of pics Lai, putting them all together as a video gives a great feeling of your trip. Trying to get birds in flight I find is very much a hit and miss affair, you need a very fast camera and lens to get the perfect focus and unfortunately my camera is not quite fast enough. I loved the shots of the carmine bee-eaters. Were they getting ready to migrate after the breeding season? The spotted cats are my favourite and to spend an hour with a leopard is a rare privilege. And did I see a shot of a genet? Although not a member of the cat family (part of the mongoose family) it could be easily taken for one. I look forward to seeing some more of the photos of your trip, if you have the time to post any before your next trip!!
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 pm

I agree Safariman Lai has some great shots there. Strange you should mention the Genet. I got a shot of a Larger Spotted Genet on Petes Pond Web Cam, you can see it on this Link
http://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t594p390-wildcam-africa-pete-s-pond#40167

WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks Safariman. i'm not sure about the migration of the bee eaters, they'd lost a whole load of the bank which had collapsed so less hanging around to photograph but still fun to try.

The genet was fast and to be honest I wasn't ready! None the less it was good to see it. Sadly I completely missed the civet which ran across the road, I think I was too busy albino after sundowners.

Looks like more photos may not happen before Christmas, but I will have more once we're back from Kenya.

Meantime we're looking forward to yours Safariman.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Lai, your pictures are amazing as always. I have to entirely predictable and say that tiny little ele is gorgeous. So small, must have only been a couple of weeks old? The ele's at the lodge gorgeous as well. Did you see Wonky? I'm sure I read she hasn't been through for a while.

The LBR are such beautiful birds. That baby zebra was just too cute. Loved the leopard pictures, still my favourite big cat.
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:31 am

Thanks Anne-Marie. Sadly you are right Wonky hasn't been seen for a while Sad everyone is hoping she is safe and well. The baby ele was only a few days old I think and just totally adorable I love you

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum