Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updates On Olive's Children

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Updates On Olive's Children Empty Updates On Olive's Children

Post  Ghost2k25 Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:53 am

I wanted to create a place were people can post and update about any of Olive the leopards past offspring. She has had many cubs and i have always wondered if anyone keeps track of them or knows were the are.

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Updates On Olive's Children Empty Re: Updates On Olive's Children

Post  gregrowlerson Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 am

Can't say I know anything Ghost, but I think it's a good thread you've created. We might get some info from our very knowledgeable big cat fans on here.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi Ghost there are posts on here about Olive s Cubs, but I need to check where they are
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:09 pm

As far as I am aware Olive has had the following offspring:

Kali
Ayah and Binti (twins)
Pacha and Nkayioni (twins)
Bahati
Saba

I haven't heard anything to the contrary but all are still alive albeit only Bahati and her current cub Saba remain in the Mara area, the others have moved away.

She is a truly wonderful mum (just like her own mother Bella I love you was) & has done brilliantly to raise 7 cubs so far Like a Star @ heaven
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:53 am

Oh my! Olive was really Bella's cub! At what stage of Big Cat Diary did this happen? How long after Chewey? I remember that there was a female cub that was assumed dead; that wasn't Olive was it?

GR
aka Big Cat novice Razz tongue
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 am

Laughing GR. Doogs is very S http://i77.servimg.c with keeping up with the big cats. I forget who is who but I do have the most recent book so can check later.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks Eccentric http://i77.servimg.c

And Doogs is obviously very well Reading
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 am

She's mad keen on the big cats and the Mara and a very regular visitor so keeps up to date with them all Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 pm

I may also be mad in other respects !!! Wink Laughing
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:08 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Doogs and possibly I Agree but I didn't like to mention it ROFL

Lai

ps GR just got out the latest book by Jonathan Scott on BCD and it doesn't have a family tree that I can find. Google might be easier!
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Updates On Olive's Children 40683 Lai Wink
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Updates On Olive's Children Empty Info

Post  Ghost2k25 Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Yes Olive is Bella's daughter is the older sister to Chui or previous litter cub. I forgot were i read the info but it was on Jonathon Schott's website. He and and this guy named Pepe observed Bella throught her whole life, and saw her on and off.
Leopard Family Tree: Request for information
April 26th, 2011

Pepe has a fascinating record of Bella the leopard as a cub (see his comment on the Blog a couple of days ago). He first saw Bella during the Long Rains of 1995 (so end of March to June?).

I first saw Bella when we lost Zawadi/Shadow while filming Big Cat Diary in Sept 2000 – we found her in a Fig Tree on the Talek River with a cub who turned out to be Olive who at the time was only around 6 months old. So that makes Olive 11 years old! Not bad going! But we found Zawadi again so did not feature Bella on BCD until Big Cat Week 2003. By that time Zawadi was not being followed very much and was more difficult to find than in the past, and in the meantime Bella was accompanied by two 3 month old cubs – Chui and his sister – along the Talek River. The rest is history as they say!!
On a related matter. I want to put together a record of the number of litters that Zawadi/Shadow and Olive have had over their lifetime – so any information you might have on the sex of any cubs and how many survived to independence will be invaluable. If any of you want to help with this we would be very grateful for your input.

Here is the link http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/main/wordpress/2011/04/leopard-family-tree-request-for-information/

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Updates On Olive's Children Empty Thoughts

Post  Ghost2k25 Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:53 pm

The link above has some very interesting info about the cub comparison between the two leopard families.From my knowledge of information gathered and read from (Rekero Camp,Jackson.L and others on FB) Leopards

Binti-is alive but seldom seen, or documented
Kali- is still alive and seen,(i asked rekero camp on FB and they say they see him often)
Saba, and Bahati- are always seen, and heavily reported on(many pictures and updates from Rekero Camp and others)
Ayuh-Is a mystery, ive never heard any updates or anything about her for many years, i think last time i read an update about her was on Jackson.L forums but that was a couple of years ago.Some say she may be dead?
Pachu and Ny.-The Rekero camp person told me they are more harder to see than Kali, and are seldon seen.
What i find really interesting is that Olive has taken over her mothers territory and strived to have raised more cubs than her mother. I think she may have also surpassed her mother(bella) age wise? It amazes me though because people were stating that Bella's territory(next to the Talek River,now olives) is more dangerous and thus explain why Bella died at a semi early age, compared to Shadow. I really wish we knew the exact cause of Bella's and death, ive always wondered what happened to her.

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 pm

It's shame that with so many of the Animals we've come to love we never know what happens in the end, and thats especialy so with Leopards they are so secret in the way they live their lives, and only allow us to see them if they want. You beat me to it with Pepe's comments, I was going to ask you if you'd checked out J & A's Blog. I knew he was compiling a list of who's who, he started it sometime ago, and I know Jonathan relies on him for a lot of info. I have'nt had time to catch up with how far he's got yet, but I will check it out thanks for the link Ghost
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost2k25 Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:14 am

If you can talk or get infor from Jonathon please ask him about Shadow/Zawadi...im really hopping to hear it from that she has passed away. Maybe he can shed some heart warming stories. Can you ask him to check whether the current female leopard occuping Leopard Gorge is Zawadi's daughter or related to her in any way?

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 am

Ghost you can ask Jonathan direct by going to his website and blog and posting a question or use his Facebook page.

He is normally very good at answering when he is around and able to.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks very muchly for that info Ghost! It seems that Olive was definitely an earlier litter to Bella than Chui was. It allows me to put some pieces of the puzzle together, though I still know very little!

Lovely banter Mrs Kipia and Doogsy ROFL
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 am

Bella & Olives Family Tree GR
Bella and family
Bella and her son Chui appeared on the show together for three years. They first appeared in 2004, when Bella was mum to two small three month old cubs, Chui and his sister. Months after filming ended, Chui's sister vanished. It later became clear she was dead, probably killed by lions. In 2005, the public and crew said goodbye to Chui and saw what should have been the final shots of them together, as he would leave Bella's side and protection sometime after filming. In October 2006, it was announced on their website that Chui had now been chased away by the resident male and Bella was now mating again. Chui has now been reported to have moved to a new territory downriver, where he was seen mating with a new female in Bella's adjacent territory. In Big Cat Live, viewers were introduced to Olive. Olive is Bella's daughter from 2001, before Chui was born. Olive has three cubs, one male, eight-month-old Kali and two females, Ayah and Binti, independent from their mother. Bella, Olive, Ayah, Binti and Kali were nicknamed the "Jackson Five" after new presenter Jackson Looseyia, who was following their progress. The names Olive, Kali, Binti and Ayah were given these leopards by Paul Kirui, veteran safari guide and a spotter for the leopard filming crew since 2006. The "Jackson Five" is intriguing because three generations of the normally solitary cats are living together.

On 2 September 2009, Looseyia posted on his blog a picture of Olive carrying a cub in her mouth. She has a new litter of cubs. Looseyia stated it would appear to be two cubs. Kali has been chased away by Olive. Bella has since died.
You will find Bellas Family Tree on this link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bigcat/animals/leopards/index.shtml
Hope that fills some bits in for you GR
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:45 am

WOW WS on that info; and so very quick with it (very http://i77.servimg.c like)!

So in the last 5 years or so Olive has been the most famous leopard on the Mara? I think it was Doogs who met her some times on safari, or perhaps I forget, but she is really like the leopard that people strive to see?

She also lived to about 12, is that correct (Bella)? And is that about as old as a leopard lives in the wild? Well this could be hard to tell given their secretive nature and perhaps they have a special leopard retirement home that nobody knows about Very Happy

I guess that with this Big Cat TV shows, they film a multitude of cats and then tell the stories of the best ones? So maybe Olive was being filmed in 2004, but her story wasn't as interesting than as Bella's and Chui's?

I suppose that in more recent times it was just Olive, Ayah and Binti hanging out in that patch, though maybe this has even changed again. It would be difficult to keep track of!

Anyhoo, for your tracking of this down, a You the man is warranted!

gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Great info and link WS Thanks

Olive is one of the leopards I've been lucky enough to see and photograph and she will always be one of my all time favourites, she's not vehicle shy and somewhere I've plenty of photos of her!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 am

12 Twelve is a good age for a Leopard in the wild GR. I think Zawadi/Shadow was around 16 when she vanished. I think you'll be able to find out more on Leopards ages on Chris Awds site
http://www.africa-wildlife-detective

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 am

I guess that leopards live a similar age to Jack Russells then!

Thanks for the info WS Updates On Olive's Children 768480

You have probably posted Olive stuff here in the safari section Lai, but likely I've just been too lion lazy to track it down Updates On Olive's Children 40683
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm

You're probably right GR as I've been to the Mara a few times so no doubt posted a few photos Very Happy

Lai

ps. Not Olive I know but found this on FB which I thought was interesting

If you guys ever wondered about Chui(Bella's son) he is now known as Lemayian, and the FB page "Mara Triangle" keeps track of him. They said he's around 10 years of age now

Worth checking Mara Triangle FB page for other information as well perhaps.

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:49 am

Chui (even better if spelt Chewey Razz ) was such a cute name though!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Updates On Olive's Children Empty Kali(Olive's Older Son sighting)

Post  Ghost2k25 Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm

"Good Morning! So far two nights know of no rain but it is still fresh and muddy. The Talek river came up which was good as it was starting to get rather stinky! Guests saw Kali yesterday by the Serena Pumphouse; they also saw him in the mor...ning but he was very shy and ran into thick bushes. The evening however he was more relaxed. Amani and her threee are still hanging around Rhino Ridge and are doing well. No sign of the lone female cheetah (beleived to be one of the daughters of Shakira) and her young cubs. A young bull elephant was in camp during the night and feeling playful; he kicked our water tank like a football for 50mts then speared it with his tusk! naughty! Have a great day :)" Rekero Camp FB
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=554425034577919&set=a.252819974738428.64055.249498485070577&type=1&theater

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next