Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melbourne Zoo 2013!

+3
Laikipia
Safariman
gregrowlerson
7 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Melbourne Zoo 2013! Empty Melbourne Zoo 2013!

Post  gregrowlerson Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:20 am

Yesterday I did it! I made the journey into the city (which turned out to be an extra long one after I missed my turn-off and traffic was jam packed and no u-turns allowed No Laughing ) and to the zoo! I do not remember having been there since a child, and I was pretty pumped about it. Once there I lined up for a while in the normal line, before finding out that I could go to the special quick one as I was becoming a member! So I intend on becoming a zoo regular (or freak!) from now on (could call myself a semi-regular already as it's now three zoos in the past fifteen or so months).

The general atmosphere here is just a pretty much happy one, and I'm sure that's a part of why CC goes to the zoo so often. Particularly with the weather being nice and sunny it made the experience all the more pleasant.

CC, do you go on your own or with your hubby? Like with me, I think I would have been just about the only person there on my own; it just isn't something that people go to by themselves. When I became a member the woman was like, "Do you have a partner that you are sharing this membership with? Okay then, do you have kids to add to it?" It was like a major surprise that I was just getting this for myself, though I think it's true that in many cases guys get 'dragged' along by their partner and/or family, or just take the kids cause they think it's good for them (and it is, most kids have a blast there). Well, if there are any females in Melbourne who read this and want to go to the zoo with a partner just post me a PM!

I took a pretty free attitude about this whole zoo experience, not even bothering to look at the map of the place at all. As it turned out I haven't seen about 40% of the animals, and I was there for four hours Laughing But that's okay; I will see more next time!

Near the front entrance are three wonderful meerkat displays/enclosures. I thought there was just one (with about eight of the furries in there), but then there was another, and another! They are most definitely amongst the most smirk-inducing creatures in the world, and they also remind me a little of Bella!

I went to inquire about the 'close encounter' that you can have with them, but it was all booked out, as it's only six people at one time. As advised, I will check out when this is available on another day, as well as with the many other animals that they offer it with (giraffes http://i70.servimg.c ), and book in advance. It's only $20 to do it, so that's really great value I reckon.

The zoo is open from 9-5 everyday of the year generally, though do also have twilight sessions - I know they have gigs here some nights anyhoo; was thinking of going to see Kate Miller-Heidke a while ago, but had nobody to go with - so are open later. This might only be in the summer though.

The whole centre part of the zoo is a massive walkway with gardens and lawns and stuff. It's really lovely, and all the animals branch out from this central area. Continuing straight down from there and to my left, and came to the zebras...and giraffes! They are in the same enclosure. It is probably my favourite single enclosure of the zoo. Giraffes really are such majestic looking creatures. Especially when up close! This did not happen until my third visit there late in the day, and then my camera wouldn't work! My batteries are just total rubbish! I couldn't take a final pic - batteries resave fractionally for a little while once off - until they had wandered off into the distance. Oh well. I am going to go back here a lot I think so I will get plenty of chances to take better photos.

After the initial zebra/giraffe encounter I saw a bongo - but way off in the distance - koala and many birds (probably forgetting a lot of stuff too). They have a really big bird aviary here which is quite nice. Regardless of the birds it is nice with the bridge walkways and plant life, waterways, etc. I think that a lot of areas of the zoo you can just stop and take in the serenity, listen to the sounds, feel peaceful to be in nature.

By the way, the bongo is a possible new favourite animal for me, because it is very much like a lesser kudu. It has the same brown colour with white chalk like markings.

They have a big kangaroo/emu area, and nice wombat dark room/cave. The wombat was certainly on display, but bloody hell it looked like he had had a big night! He was lying on his back appearing to have quite the hangover Laughing It was one of those you had to be there moments.

An even better moment was had in a small hut which hosted more birds. As I walked in I noticed something furry above the five or so people that were here. It was a creature that was being a bit of a possum. In fact it was a possum! We got our own 'close encounter' for free! In case you haven't guessed, these were not official zoo creatures, so it was a wonderful unique experience, especially as possums are nocturnal; I could not ever remember seeing one during the day in my life! And so we all watched it for a while, and it was soooo close to us - and then saw another, a baby! I took many great photos. One of the people there was kinda bad I guess, and fed them a biscuit!

A funny moment was also when a boy walked in and said casual as you like, "it's a spider-possum" Laughing

The tasmanian devils could not be spotted, but the monitor could. Before I saw it though I leaned on/over the glass; about twenty seconds later I realised that I was being attacked! By about fifty ants affraid They were all crawling all over this area! Oh well, I survived Very Happy

I saw a tapia - which is quite a cool creature - and then two giant tortoises. Then it was onto the lion enclosure.

There is a big bridge that overlooks their relatively large area, and there was a great crowd of people viewing the three males (strange to have three of them together); as expected, what with the always overated popularity of these big cats Laughing

And of course they were doing nothing but lazying about Razz

There was a big crowd at the zoo in general. It was even hard to find a carpark (and I forgot to pay the small fee for a ticket Embarassed though luckily escaped a fine http://www.picgifs.c What a bad boy! Cool ).

I was really just meandering about, so not looking for any animal in particular. Anyhoo, there was a terrific big lake, with one of those islands in the middle, and there were three lemurs, who could be seen quite clearly. This 'area' is my favourite of the zoo, as it has sort of water fountaineys too (or at least machines sprouting water), so it's very calming, and it also has.....

Wait for it.

Leopards!!!!

I was not expecting this! But around to the back of the lake area and there is was; a snowy! It was laying on top of its possible bed area, but then soon got on the move - unlike those lions - and came towards me. Such a lovely creature. Beautiful coat. I love leopards! It then just relaxed in the left front corner of its relatively small No enclosure. Most of it was not obscured from view.

But then, next enclusure, a persian leopard! This stayed more towards the back of its area, but could still be seen quite clearly, and has the lovely 'stereotypical' leopard coat. Then the next enclosure, another snow leopard! I was definitely thinking of CC now. Melbourne Zoo can compete with Helsinki! One comment from a guy that had me laughing was, "Where are the normal leopards?" Because even with me I had always thought of the leopard with brown coat, not white. It's like with chocolate!

Then it was the sumatran tiger; such a powerful looking beast! It prowled along nicely too, so got some good viewing, though by this time of course my camera was rubbish! And then, to the right of the tiger, would you believe it?........

Yet another snow leopard! I was very happy about this, though also bemused/confused. Three is better than two or one for sure, but why all different enclosures? Though I do not know what sexes they were, and yes I know that leopards are solitary creatures, so maybe there is good reason, but for me I thought that it better that they have a far bigger area together than their smallish areas alone. Any thoughts?

This final snow leopard gave the best viewing of the lot. It was fairly close near some rocks and did some classic yawning, and later slunk off to the back of the area, but sat very high up, and did look very majestic indeedy! A small crowd gathered and snapped away.

I really adore this area of the zoo and think I will spend a lot of time here in future. I wonder if I could bring a seat in? There is only one park bench around here and that is where the tiger is.

Later I saw the big brown bear - amusing the masses whilst scratching his back on a tree, it was very funny - and a host of small cats, including coatis and servals. I had a bite to eat as well, and finished up at the zoo shop buying a giraffe jigsaw - will be a mothers day present as my mum loves jigsaws - giraffe t-shirt and little leopard plushy, which is now sitting on the dashboard of my car Very Happy

Of course I am currently wearing the giraffe shirt Razz

Heading out - after seeing giraffes again - I realised I hadn't even seen the elephants! Plus the oranutangs too - though I did catch the baboons - and seals, and penguins, and some reptilians (once back home I looked at the zoo map!), and hippo! How could I miss the hippo confused No Laughing Oh well, I blame the fact that it's a pygmy lol!

Next time I will probably have it as first on my to see list!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Melbourne Zoo 2013! Empty Re: Melbourne Zoo 2013!

Post  gregrowlerson Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:34 am

Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1016
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1110
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1111
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1112
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1113
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1114
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1115
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1116
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1210
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1211
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:06 am

Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1212
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1213
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1214
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1216
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1217
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1218
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1219
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1220
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:30 am

Sounds as if you had a great time at Melbourne Zoo and that you are going to be a regular visitor. I have been to Melbourne a couple of times on business when I was working several years ago but I have never been to the zoo. You appear to have seen a considerable variety of creatures however I was a bit thrown by the photo of the strange looking animal with the sun hat, I have never seen one of those before!!!!!
Don't worry about going on your own, I had some strange responses when I started going on safari on my own after my wife died. You can do and see what you want without having to worry about pleasing anyone else. I know its nice to be able to discuss what you see with someone else but my motto is just enjoy it.
Does the zoo have any ordinary leopards as all the ones you saw seem to be of the exotic variety? Looking forward to more reports on your next visit.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm

http://i73.servimg.c GR you did it and became a member, what a great idea and I'm positive you'll be going many times so it's well worth it. Thanks for the great story as well as the photos, it's really good to know what you saw and thought about the different animals.

Leopards as you know are my all time favourite big cat so I'm thrilled to know that Melbourne zoo has leopards.

Looking forward to more when you next visit.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremecat Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 pm

GR, I consider you hooked!!! Melbourne Zoo 2013! 40683

Thanks for the zoo report and the pictures, they are amazing!
GR you have to see the elephants on your next visit, the baby boy was born in January so he really is a tiny one!

I usually visit the zoo with my hubby or daughter, and I must say they are very patient with me! They understand completely that sometimes we must stay for 30-60 minutes in front of some interesting enclosure, or that we have to re-check the most important enclosures (= those of the big cats) several times during one visit... lol!

But in fact I would not mind going there alone. I have my camera with me to show I am a serious freak. Melbourne Zoo 2013! 40683

By the way, did you know that snow leopards are genetically closer to lion than leopard?

CC
Cremecat
Cremecat

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Melbourne Zoo 2013! 768480 Thanks for the photos, and news about the Zoo GR, looks like your on the way to being a Zooolygist Melbourne Zoo 2013! 40683 I agree with CC your going to have to get us a pic of the baby Elle http://i77.servimg.c
CC I did'nt know that about them being closer to Lions, thanks for the info, another thing I've learnt on the Forum
WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 am

cheers CC - I didn't know that either Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks heaps for the responses guys and gals! I really am soooo happy that there are leopards there! It's making me more keen to go back as a regular! There seem to be just the 'exotic' ones there Safariman (four is heaps though Very Happy ), but wouldn't it be amazing if there was another somewhere else that I haven't been. On the official map it mentions 'tiger' in another part of the zoo, so there is at least a second tiger. Surely a fifth leopard is asking for a bit much though!

The animal in the sun hat is an endangered species; A Half Man Half Boy http://www.picgifs.c

Safariman, I may not have anyone to go to the zoo with, but I have you all to discuss it with! Just another awesomey thingy about this forum Group Hug

I might even return this weekend. It's cool that I can just rock up when I like and walk straight in. It is not meant to be good weather, but I will see how I feel in a few days time.

And the elephant enclosure I have to see of course. I will try and get a good pic of Sanook for you WS; hopefully one that does its high cuteness levels justice Very Happy

"They understand completely that sometimes we must stay for 30-60 minutes in front of some interesting enclosure, or that we have to re-check the most important enclosures (= those of the big cats) several times during one visit."

This made me ROFL CC, especially "MUST" Melbourne Zoo 2013! 40683

"I divorced my husband because he wouldn't stay at the snow leopard enclosure with me for more than thirty minutes." lol!

Another court case for you Mrs Kipia farao

Amazing fact about the snowies being closer to lion than leopard. But don't try to make me hate them Laughing But now that I've seen them though, I can declare that they may look lionish, but they have a leopards SOUL http://i70.servimg.c

Not quite a hooked parrot just yet. It will be official when I take a sickie from work to go lol!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 pm

ROFL GR - don't start farao Mrs Kipia on that one ................ Laughing

I can look at leopards for hours/days - not sure Pete would agree Razz

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Another Divorce Lai ? ROFL
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremecat Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Razz
Maybe there would not be a divorce, but I would simply leave my husband home and go alone. Last summer at Vienna Zoo he kept standing beside me for one hour because I wanted to see the black jaguar. I think that was very kind of him. Razz

GR, I think the Persian leopard is called Kashmar. She is very old, over twenty if it is really her. Did you see her face properly? Kashmar has only one eye.

CC
Cremecat
Cremecat

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Looks like another eye pic GR Very Happy
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Mrs Kipia! lol! Well on this occasion I wasn't referring to you about the divorce Laughing Just CC, with you to be the judge or her lawyer! But since CC's hubby stayed with her for an hour to see the black jaguar - very Hugs story - and Pete doesn't much care for leopards, then I think your take is pretty spot on Razz

You could look at leopards for days?! If that was in one stint then you should definitely go into the guiness book of records Very Happy

Hmmm...persian leopard pics. I have some more. Let's see some of them...

Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1225
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1226
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1227
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1228

She was certainly trying to be especially leopardy and hide, but you may well be right about the right CC Melbourne Zoo 2013! 768480
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremecat Wed May 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Cremecat
Cremecat

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed May 01, 2013 1:24 pm

http://i77.servimg.c Melbourne Zoo 2013! 768480 Melbourne Zoo 2013! 853843

Spot on the mark I'd say!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 02, 2013 8:22 am

lol! GR - don't worry about farao Mrs Kipia and the leopards. My friend Ali and I are going to Namibia in July 2014 (ages away I know) with J & A and will be able to watch big cats and hopefully leopards for hours on end Melbourne Zoo 2013! 71418 Pete is really very patient and really getting into his photography now.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 02, 2013 10:18 pm

Oh boy to come back on to this thread was a delight GR. Loved the Intro to the zoo, I felt as if I was wandering around with you Very Happy so many lovely animals but I must say, it was brilliant to know you enjoyed the Meerkats, I love them and the photo is great, they really are fantastic creatures. Loving the Leopard pics but you have a great selection of pics.
Well done you for going on your own, it is nice to share the excitment with someone but it's true what Safariman says, at least you can please yourself and go and see what you want and spend as much time as you like at one enclosure without worrying if the other person wants to move on.
Brilliant that you have become a member as you can now visit whenever you like. I am a me, ber of our local wildfowl and wetlands trust and it's great to be able to go whenever you like, even if it's just to go for a coffee and watch the various birds on the huge lake in front of the restaurant.
So looking forward to heari g about your next visit there and seeing more pics..

Must say I am joining the giraffe club, at the weekend I brought some lovely pj's and the top has a really pretty and classy giraffe on it.........it hasn't made me look any taller though!

Thanks for sharing your visit, I really enjoyed reading about it and seeing the pics.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Fri May 03, 2013 11:40 am

I took a lot of pics at the zoo (despite the poor camera batteries Laughing ) LW. Here are some more of the meerkats.

Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1018
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1019
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1020
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1021
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1117
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1118
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Fri May 03, 2013 12:26 pm

July 2014 will come around just like that Eccentric http://i77.servimg.c ! Terrific to hear that you will be off to Africa again relatively shortly http://i70.servimg.c

LW, wonderful message from you. Meerkats just have a look about them that says, "I'm cheeky!" I know they are wild animals, but it does seem like they would make an awesome pet!

It's a good point that you make about a positive for making the zoo trip by yourself is the freedman to go where you want when you want. Well maybe some like CC do this anyway, but then later might feel just a little guilt lol!

I have always been a very individual person anyhoo. This doesn't mean that I don't crave loving companionship as I most definitely do, but I'm still more individual than others. I've made journeys to music gigs on my own, trips overseas on my own, plus numerous other thingys I am sure. And tomorrow I return to the zoo! Yep, I couldn't wait more than a weeks break Laughing In addition to my general walkies around the place (returning to the loveable leopards and seeing the hippo's and elephants especially) I have booked in for a 'close encounter' with a bongo at 2:30, so am pretty pumped about this! New batteries have also been purchased this evening; Melbourne Zoo 2013! 431638 that they work!

Also at lunchtime today I checked my mail to find my zoo membership (they could not give me an official one last weekend), so I have a card now, plus lots of other zoo info. The card has a possum on it, which is really apt for having had the close encounter with them last time!

LW, that sounds like a nice giraffey outfit you have now Very Happy One thing that I realise I need (or want, not going to die without it Laughing ) is an animal hat, so will possibly check those out tomorrow. I only went to the main Melbourne Zoo shop last time, and there are a couple more I think. There is a place with leopard in its name. Just imagine if there was an entire shop of leaopard gear affraid cheers http://www.picgifs.c http://i70.servimg.c
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 03, 2013 1:34 pm

http://i73.servimg.c GR - lovely meerkat photos, they are such appealing little animals and so photogenic.

Mmmmmmmm Littlewid in giraffe PJs - that's got me thinking now, I may look for leopardy jimjams Laughing

Good news you've got all your membership stuff now and info, that will be fun to read through. If you find a leopard shop you must tell us GR, I will be out there on the first flight to check it out lol!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Just loving the extra Meerkat pics GR, they are fantastic and it made me laugh because I was checking out the pictures and I was thinking to myself, I know it wouldn't be right as they should be in the wild but I would love a gang of them as pets, it would be brilliant and then you say about how awesome they would be as pets, that really made me smile, glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way Very Happy
How brilliant that you are going back to the zoo tomorrow, hope the excitement doesn't keep you awake bounce and great that you now have your official membership, I am sure you are going to have a fantastic day and to have the encounter with the Bongo as well, can't wait to hear all about that.
I love zoo shops, there is always so much to choose from, from clothing, hats, umbrellas, jewellery, fluffy animals, pens, books etc, I hope you find your hat and also lots of leopardy things.
Whether people are individual or not I think its great that people whether they be solo people or not can go to places on their own and enjoy themselves and don't miss out on things they love.

My Giraffe PJ's are lovely, a few nice sparkly bits and some silver clouds with the giraffes head in the clouds and the bottoms are covered with tiny words saying my head is in the clouds, quite apt for me really! Now all we need is Lai in her Leopard jimjams Very Happy

Have a fantastic day tomorrow GR and look forward to more pics and hearing about your encounter and good luck with finding your hat.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sat May 04, 2013 11:17 am

Apologies for the false alarm Mrs Kipia. There was a function room called a leopard function room or something. It had nothing to do with leopards and I couldn't even go in there!

LW, it would be smirk-inducing to cuddle up to half a dozen meerkats during the winter months Very Happy

Bella has just given me a dirty look Laughing

There was no hat to buy; well, just kids sort of ones with 'Melbourne Zoo' written on them. Not very exciting Razz

Nothing wrong with "head in the clouds" as too many people are staight laced and don't enjoy life too much because of it. I'm always "off with the fairies" Laughing

Please no gay jokes WS Razz

In fact my head has been in the clouds for much of this past week, and that I always liked. But fortunately I was able to get some story ideas out of my system and into my phone before entering the zoo. So my head was clear. Kinda Very Happy

It did not rain today which was great! The sunny was also out at times, so it wasn't all that cold, though I did wear a jacket.

I had my mind on those leopards, but made a short detour to the giraffes/zebras (after another detour to get a sausage roll http://www.picgifs.c Laughing ) firstly. Then rushing around to those cats, bowling over any small children and old ladies who stood in my path. No, not really Laughing Though I was jogging a little to get there just a bit quicker!

Spotted the big brown bear on my way and then the leopards were viewable, though from a distance, and all were pretty Sleeping this afternoon. I did not see the snowies move around at all. One was high up in its bed and the other two high up the back on their rocks. Kashmar (and I have 100% confirmation now that you are correct CC!) was also just sitting under her tree, though late in the day I did spot it up and about, but only for about ten seconds and then it sat again, so I only got one picture of slow motion and without any zoom!

I went to leopards area three times on this visit.

The tiger near the leopards was out of site all day, but I made some new discoveries Melbourne Zoo 2013! 853843

The elephants were next on my hit list and there was one big boy (I presume a male) in its own enclosure, and then walking a little further I found the joy of Sanook. He really is a gorgeous little thing and his interactions with mother are lovely to see. It is very peaceful just to watch them. In fact I probably should have gone back there a second time only I was getting tired. There was quite a crowd there at this enclosure and I believe that the elephants bought a Very Happy to many zoo goers.

Before getting there I came across two more tigers. Sumatran also, and they were highly viewable and definitely one of the main highlights. Their area is a very lovely one, though of course still too small really for a wild animal. They - and I have seen last visit with a leopard - regularly stalk/pace backwards and forwards; I suppose this is out of boredom. In fact later on a wombat was even doing this!

The highlight of my day was still to come though, and I think this was the hippo. First it was past the gorilla enclosure (one was laying down as if it was passed out Laughing ) and then to the small river. I couldn't see it from the outside. But there was a small crowd in the inside section behind the clear glass. Bingo! A hippo! It was really totally cute and smirk-inducing Very Happy It was staying under the water right by the looking glass (let's call it Alice) for long periods, so must get in big gulps of air when it does come up. It was sort of nuzzling its nose against the wall at one point which was making some of us laugh and just generally floating around. It reminded me of one of those elephant seals.

He/she (I am not sure confused ) then went out into the middle of its body of water and so once walking back outside could be seen clearly from the initial viewing area.

Incredibly I was the only person to have a close encounter with the bongo! And a booking is up to six people and everything else was booked for the day, but they said that not many people have heard of this kuduesque creature. It was not explained well where I should go to meet the keeper (just to go to its enclosure), and I had to wave to someone when I saw them from across the other side about to feed it! They motioned for me to come across to that side, so it was a bit of jogging to get there! My encounter was with the adult male that they have there, who is currently separated from the female and baby (those two are viewed by the public normally, he is being kept hidden at times I think). His name is Indigoo I think, and the mum is Binti. She is coming into season soon and they are going to get them together and hope that they breed heapsy!

I want to live in a human zoo Laughing

They are one of the most endangered creatures on Earth. They used to reside in much of Africa, but now it's solely Kenya, and only in its forrested areas (not a savannah animal). It has not been due to humans killing them though as they are viewed by many tribes as like a devil creature. Just loss of habitat I think which I guess is due to humans though. There are approximately 1,000 left in the wild, which is not many in anyones language.

Another weird fact was that offspring are 60% males 40% females, and so it can be a struggle to find females for breeding programs. It makes no sense within nature as their groups are similar to other animals, in that there will be one or two males 'servicing' five plus females, and the other males live in their own groups. If nature is meant to balance things out for mere survival, then wouldn't it make more sense to be 60% females? Oh well, I'll have to get David Attenborough to explain that to me!

Anyhoo, the zoo keeper really knew her stuff, and Lai, she was quite the albino er Melbourne Zoo 2013! 40683

I asked her about their male lions and the 'quirk' of all three being male and she said they were all brothers, and they would only fight if there was females around. I asked about the leopards too, saying it strange that there are none at Werribee Zoo, which is all about Africa! So yes, Kashmar is the persian leopard! And there is a Meo and Leon too; I forget the name of the other, but you were right CC, it is Meo and Leon's daughter Melbourne Zoo 2013! 768480

I probably should have asked more questions actually because she seemed to be like a Melbourne Zoo encyclopedia or something!

The horns on the Bongo were huge, and to feed him was fun, though had to do it through fencing, because like she said, if he got aggresive than it would be easy to get injured, even suffer a fatality. But he was very docile when we were around him. He nommed on a great deal of celery.

Hmmm...what else did I see?

Lions, seals (very nice enclosure), penguins (all huddled together), plus some small cats. I may bother to post some pics soon http://www.picgifs.c
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sat May 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1230
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1231
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1232
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1233
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1234
Melbourne Zoo 2013! Img_1310
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat May 04, 2013 2:04 pm

WOW Thanks for sharing your Melbourne zoo day with us GR. It sounds like another great visit and lots to see. Shame about the 'leopard function room' but hey I am on the trail of leopard PJs Very Happy

I'm so pleased you met a fellow rabbit albino good to know we exist on both sides of the world! It also sounds like she told you lots of interesting things so well worth the rabbit albino

Bongo - I have never seen one, not sure I have been to the right part of Kenya but found this on them

Bongo

Bongos are the largest and most spectacular of the African forest antelopes. The main population is in west Africa, however, a much smaller and critically endangered subspecies is found in the mountain forests of Kenya. Bongos are well equipped for a life in the forest - impressive, long, spiralling horns can be used to break branches and a long flexible tongue can grasp leaves with ease. Despite their bold appearance, bongos are shy and reclusive animals that stay out of sight in the cover of the forest during the day

Please do post some pics soon GR, P Melbourne Zoo 2013! 3525291757 Onesie Man, king rabbit albino you know how we love pics.

Mrs Kipia

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next