Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lunchtime Walks

+3
whitestarling
Laikipia
princesspurplehippy
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lunchtime Walks Empty Lunchtime Walks

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Where I work is right by the M40 and on the other side of the motorway is an old road which the building of the motorway cut off and thankfully they've made it into a walkway and cycle path. I regularly go there for a walk at lunchtime as thankfully they build a tunnel under the motorway from the industrial estate where I work to the other side of the motorway.

As you can see by my pics I've taken its a lovely place for wildlife and I find it really great that nature is slowly taking back the road

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100227069702111384952/albums/5893535459451975601?authkey=CLzv976BvOeSAg
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Lunchtime Walks Empty Re: Lunchtime Walks

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:20 am

Amazing how quickly nature takes over and places go back to being wild, it looks a lovely place to have a lunchtime walk PPH, thanks for sharing.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 am

That looks a lovely place to spend your lunchtime PPH, you only have to give a nature half a chance, and it will bounce back. Lovely photos of all the different plants to

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:35 pm

I can see why you go for walks there PPH, lovely photos, certainly plenty to see, thanks Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:54 pm

All looks rather lush PPH; the cows seem to be enjoying the greenery, and many other lovely colours on offer with the various plantation. Some nice incentive to get out for those walks at lunchtime Very Happy 

Thanks for sharing.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:53 pm

I've updated the album not only to add my deer visitor but to add some pictures of a little family I saw this lunchtime
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Aaaahhh and what a lovely little family they are PPH. I'm sure that little one being the 'Chesney Hawkes' (one and only, get it Wink  Razz  ) will get lots of love, protection and tlc from mum and dad I love you Like a Star @ heaven I love you 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 pm

Lovely shots of the Swans PPH, and the little one. I wonder if there was more then one to start with, but as Doogs says at least it will get all the care it needs
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:52 pm

I think that there may have been another one as I was speaking to a man last week who asked me if I'd seen the swans as he had been watching their nest (from a safe distance) and then one day they were chased off the nest. he was worried about them and hoped that they had set up another nest  somewhere else where it was safer

Maybe they had another cygnet and it died or maybe this is a second brood as if they had been chased off then their first clutch or brood may have died
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 pm

I just had a look online and according to RSPB and The Swan Sanctuary about time of breeding then this must be their first brood as they start breeding april to may and eggs take 35-41 days to hatch. it also says that their main predators for cygnets and eggs include Crows and Ravens and there are plenty of them around the area where I saw the swans and around where I work

So it seems this cygnet really is a Chesney Hawkes
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm

The predation rate of the Cygets, and eggs of Swans is really high, as we were saying about the Swans at Safarimans place. Ok I have to admit I'm totaly confused  who's Chesney Hawkes scratch 

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:14 am

Chesney Hawkes is a singer who was a bit of a one hit wonder in the 1990s with a song called 'I am the one and only' The song was in a film called 'Buddy' which he was also in with Roger Daltrey

If I remember rightly he is the son of Chip Hawkes who was in The Tremeloes in the 1960s

princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Aaaaah that was good for a wee sing-a-long PPH Very Happy 

I must confess to using the 'Chesney Hawkes' saying quite frequently !!!
Embarassed 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 pm

I remember the Tremeloes, thats my era of music I grew up with. Vaugely remember,  I am the one, and only. but would'nt have know who sang it

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Just watched your lovely slide show PPH, what a beautiful place to walk at lunch time, I can see why you go there. Great to see your Deer there as well and also the lovely Swan family with Chesney Very Happy  As Doogs says, he will get lots of love and attention from his mum and dad. Its a shame if they had more and they got predated but hopefully little Chesney will do well. I love the pictures of them with the Daisys.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Its with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that I saw the swans today and Chesney was not with them Sad Sad 

It seemed like he has been predated Sad Sad 

I bumped into the man who told me about them a few weeks ago and he said that they originally had seven Cygnets but it seems this year wasnt their year to have any surviving babies. He also said that they have been coming to that area for about 10yrs and have had loads of surviving babies but obviously this year it wasnt meant to be

RIP Baby Chesney

princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Oh dear that really is sad Sad  PPH. It's such a shame when stuff like this happens, hopefully they will have better luck next year.

RIP Little Chesney Crying or Very sad 

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Just had a thought PPH. Yesterday we went to Llanfairfechan, and I've posted some photos in the Camera Club section, in one of them is a little Mallard Duckling thats all on its own with its Mum. I think we'll call it Chesney in honour of your baby Cygnet, and hopefully it will carry the name on

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Thats a really good idea WS Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 pm

That is so sad PPH, we know it happens but it's still very upsetting when it does and even more so for you as you actually saw Chesney. It must be so hard for the parents to, to incubate the eggs and then to try and keep them all safe but it must just have been such bad luck this time round as they are experienced parents.

RIP little Chesney I love you 

Nice idea about the lone Mallard being called Chesney WS to keep his memory going Group Hug 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Awwww that's so sad to hear PPH and especially as there was 7 to begin with Crying or Very sad 

That's a great idea WS, goodbye to one little Chesney and hello to another
cheers 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 pm

me and a friend went for another walk up there today and we saw mummy and daddy swan. it was a good job my friend came with me as she noticed that daddy swan had a ring on his leg.

unfortunately we couldnt get all of the details but I sent what we had so maybe we will find out something about him. I will of course keep you informed
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Interesting about the ring PPH, the male swan on my local pond also had a ring on one leg although the female had nothing. I think my neighbour managed to get the number but I an not sure if they have followed it up, I will try and find out.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 pm

the swan I saw today had a large orange ring on his left leg with 3 letters in black. we only managed to get that it began with a B and ended in a G. According to the site the WWT uses those rings to ring swans in the south of england. So we know he mustve been ringed in the south of england and I'm hoping we can find out more

One time when we were on hols in York I got a picture of a greylag goose and I filled in the form on the BTO website and they emailed me back with all the info about the goose. Not only her age and where she was ringed but also all the information on when she was spotted and reported to them before by other people. It was really interesting to see that she was a a local York goose who didnt travel very far but the bonus was that she hadnt been spotted for a while and mine was the only spot theyd had of her all year (I went in August)

I did put the details on a thread on here and I'm sure its somewhere in the bowels of the forum
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:54 pm

You are right PPH you did put it on this site somewhere and it will still be here, it may take a bit of looking for but I am sure it can be found.

Lets hope they can give you a little more info on the Male Swan, that would be really nice, I wonder if he is from as far south as I am, it would be lovely to know and I look forward to hearing more.

The same with your Swan Safariman, more news would be good if at all possible. I think it's lovely that we get involved with birds/animals that we see that its nice to have that extra information on them, so fingers crossed both you and PPH get a little more news on them both.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next