Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lunchtime Walks

+3
whitestarling
Laikipia
princesspurplehippy
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lunchtime Walks - Page 2 Empty Re: Lunchtime Walks

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 pm

There you go PPH, York Hols, and your Bird ring post
https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t1118-york-hols#22604

WS Very Happy
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks for finding the thread WS.

No news yet from the BTO but it may take them a bit longer to find him in their records this time as I don't have the full info

I went for another walk/swan hunt but didn't see them. I've devised a cunning plan that I'll take some bird seed to work with me so I can take it on my walks and tempt them a little bit closer so I can hopefully see the rind a bit clearer.

I took a few more pics today and I'll update the album tonight with them
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I'm glad WS found your original post for you PPH. Good idea to take some bird seed with you on your walk. lets hope it does entice the swans a little closer so you can see the ring properly.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 pm

I haven't written on here for a while as things I was a bit worried about the swans as a couple of days after I wrote on here last I went to see if I could see the swans and maybe get a better look at the leg ring. I had a bit of a shock as the swans were nowhere to be seen but what could be seen were lots of white feathers floating on the river.

I feared the worst and thought they may have been predated and I kept going back day after day and no trace of them. Then yesterday I went for a walk and still couldnt see them but as I was walking back under the motorway there they were. It turned out they had been molting (hence all the feathers) and apparently as they cant fly when theyre molting they tend to keep out of harms way.

Thankfully I had my camera and my bird food with me and I managed to get a better look at the leg ring and the letters are BBG. I sent the sighting to the BTO and today I heard back from someone who works for the WWT (who ring all the swans) and he said he has sent it to the person in the WWT who was responsible for ringing that swan and she would get back to me. Of course I will keep you all informed when I find out all about him

Last edited by princesspurplehippy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:37 pm

Ooooooo I thought that was going to have a horrible ending then PPH, so glad all is well with the Swans and that you have seen them again, thanks for letting us know. Fantastic that you got you got all the letters on the ring, looking forward to hearing more about him when you get some news.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:43 am

http://i73.servimg.c  PPH for tracking them down and keeping us updated.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Finally I have some results from the BTO.

The swan was first ringed in Stratford upon Avon so not far from here, below are the details I received from the BTO of the earlier sightings

First-year 10-02-2011 Stratford-on-Avon: 52°11'N 1°42'W (Warwickshire)

Alive (colour rings seen) 09-05-2012 River Cherwell, Banbury: 52°4'N 1°19'W (Oxfordshire) 29km ESE 1y 2m 29d

We are also very lucky in Banbury as there is another pair of swans which are on the canal that goes through Banbury where the male was tagged, luckily this pair have a grown up baby with them so they were successful in breeding . I heard back from the ringer of this bird who is based in Worcester and had the following details from him

22-09-10 River Severn Worcester - Cygnet Flew in to join local flock of 120 - 150 swans

18-05-11 River Severn Worcester

The ringer was really happy as this is the furthest away from the ringing site one of his swans has been seen breeding and he feels the swan was only passing through when he ringed it and he is happy that he has been seen breeding. I will see if I can get picture of this family
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Thats brilliant that you have been updated on the swan PPH and also that you have another pair that have been breeding, that is lovely news and hopefully they will breed again next year, I think if they are settled they will breed in the same place again.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Great news that they have been in touch with you PPH, and you have been able to learn the history of your Swan. Also that the pair of Swans on the canal, have been breeding, and hopefully you will be able to get a photo of them. Thanks for sharing the news of the Swans with us

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm hoping that both pairs will stay around and breed again next year. I'm really enjoying finding out about ringed birds in my area. I keep on looking for birds on the river that have rings but unfortunately apart from the swans I can't see anymore.
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Hopefully both pairs will stay around next year to breed PPH and its always nice to follow them up if possible. I have had a pair of Collard Doves nesting in my garden this summer, they have had 4 clutches and all have survived and the last pair are practising their flying, they can f, y quite well now but they always come back for the night at the moment. I am hoping mum and dad nest here again next year but as they are not ringed, if their is a pair next year I can only presume it is them.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Here  you go, I managed to get a quick picture of them this morning on my way to work. As you can see they are enjoying being fed by a canal boat owner
As I was on my way to work and they were interested in being fed I couldnt get them to get close enough to see which one had the ring

Lunchtime Walks - Page 2 Img-2010

Lunchtime Walks - Page 2 Img-2012
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Brilliant that you got some photo's PPH and lovely that they were being fed, somebody else obviously admires them too Very Happy  hopefully when you see them again you will be able to spot the one with the ring but for now thanks for sharing the pics. Swan photos are always beautiful arent they.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Lunchtime Walks - Page 2 768480 Lovely shots of your Swans PPH, and its great that they are being fed. Hopefully that will give them more reason to stay, and you will see baby ones next year

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Looking good PPH, thanks for posting the pics cheers 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down