Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari

+3
whitestarling
Laikipia
littlewid
7 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 Empty Re: Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:43 am

We can do a few words each week and then we'll all be fluent Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 40683

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 Empty Re: Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:46 am

Cool - Build up the vocabulary :)

I see the Dollar rate is slowly but surely picking up again which is good for booking a safari - most are charged in $ then converted to £ - we're keeping a close eye on it before going in for the kill !!! Razz
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:48 am

Good idea Doogs. This year Pete and I did okay with the $ rate but our friend Ali who was hedging her bets got the timing wrong! Always the way.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:23 pm

I returned from safari with 1702 photos.......will need to book another holiday just to sort these out!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:01 am

Welcome back sahara Very Happy it would be lovely to see some of your 1702 photo's bounce with that many it sounds as if you had an amazing time, look forward to hearing all about it cheers
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:25 am

Karibu mgongo makazi Sahara

1702 photos Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 71418 how fantastic Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 853843 i thought i had done well with 1362 !

Can't wait to see them when you have time to post some. Did you have a wonderful time? I am guessing you did.

Kwaheri kwa sasa

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:11 am

Ooooh exciting, please please post some of your photos Sahara and let us know how the safari was cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:45 pm

I am still buried under photos but have more exciting news....I have signed up as a volunteer to help with research into saving the Black Rhino's......it is based at Ol pejeta conservancy near Mt Kenya and involves walking (yes walking) sections of the park logging animals, excrements, vegetation etc using gps etc under the direction of scientists hoping to prevent Rhino extinction. Have to be able to run and climb a tree in a hurry!! More soon.......

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Good to hear from you Sahara, it sounds as though you had a great time, looking forward to seeing some of your pics. If you need any help putting them on the Forum there is a section in Membership Rules/ How to that explains what to do, if you get stuck just ask,on the Forum or PM me. How exciting going to Ol pejeta I'm sure there was a TV programe about it, is it run by 2 Englishmen ?. It's great you have volunteered, its such a worthwhile cause, and the Rhino needs all the help it can get. A pair of running shoes with spikes might help, and the spikes could be good for climbing trees Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 40683 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 40683
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:36 pm

WELL DONE to you Sahara, that certainly needs applauding Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 768480 I know you are not doing it for the applause but all efforts to save the Rhino and other wildlife we love so much certainly needs recognition.
How long are you doing it for? I know you can sign as a volunteer for weeks, months or a year. I hope you will be able to keep us updated as to how it's all going and i'm sure you know we all support you on here.
Lovely to hear from you again.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:47 am

Wow what fantastic news Sahara. Ol Pejeta is where Toki the cheetah (one of the cubs hand reared by Simon King) ended up. We've always wanted to go and it's on the wish list.

What a great experience you'll have - when we were in Lewa we did a walking safari one morning and came across a couple of black rhino - a scary moment and a quick about turn very quietly! Needless to say we had proper rangers/guides with us but it was still a very exciting moment.

Can't wait to hear more about it when you have a moment.

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:05 am

Sahara nice to hear from you.

I would love to do something like that but think my husband and work would not be impressed if I upped and disappeared on them.

It sound fantastic. I hate to put you on the spot, but would you be able to do a blog or update for us, as being on the ground with first hand information on the wildlife and events would be wonderful, no pressure, just wondering.

SM

Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:16 am

Hi. Thanks for all of your comments. The project I am going onto is run by Earthwatch and I am going to spend two weeks on the conservancy...I am really looking forward to being able to hopefully do a small bit toward preventing the extinction of those marvellous creatures. It seems I will also be involved in counting elephants and monitoring ant activity in the acacia trees!! I am so excited about it all and can't wait for February to come around. (Back to practising the tree climbing!!!) :)

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:30 am

Its sound like a truly wonderful experience Sahara - whatever you end up doing it will be amazing.

I've just looked up Earthwatch (on Easysearch) - some great opportunities all over the world.

http://www.earthwatch.org/europe/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:32 pm

I thought this may help you Guys going on Safari. Google Translator might be a handy tool for going on Safari, or abroad with. It translates loads of languages, and you can listen to the translation as well. So you could make up your own little phrase book, where you ask questions not normaly in bought phrase books, and learn how to say phrases as well. Apparently Afrikaans is the Language used in the Motswari Area, and there's Swahili for those going to the Mara, and Kenya

If you'd like to try it out this is the link
http://translate.google.com/#

WS

whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:20 am

Brilliant idea WS. As you know I attempt a bit of Swahili from time to time but much practice is needed and for SM and Littlewid a few Afrikaans words will be useful. Mine is a bit limited affraid

Asante sana = thank you
Baie dankie = thank you. Sounds like 'buy a donkey' but with an A (I lived in SA briefly) Laughing

For anyone wanting useful information on planning a safari Wanderlust Magazine has some good tips and this April/May issue has an article on the Migration.

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/search/migration

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 pm

That's a brilliant link, very handy WS, thanks. 4 months tomorrow we leave for Nairobi so not long now Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 853843

Thanks also for the links Lai. I know we're lucky to have been before but it's always interesting to read other people's thoughts. Will read the migration article later, cheers cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 am

4 months Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 71418 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 71418 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 71418 which means we must be 4 1/2 months Doogs Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 45922

Lai Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 853843
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Quick question (I'm doing this from my phone hehe) all those that have been to Kenya ... Should we apply for our visa before we go? Or do it when we arrive?
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Do it when you get into Nairobi AM.

First couple of years we did it over here but you've to send your passport & docs by Special Delivery (inc an envelope for them to post it back to you) & it costs a fortune. It takes no time at all to do it once you get into Nairobi & it will save you a fair bit of money :)
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Either Anne-Marie. If you apply in the UK it will cost you more, you can send it to a company like Travcour with a couple of passport photos. The visa costs £30 (single entry) and they will charge you £30 for the service.

To be honest, it's just as easy to get it when you arrive at the airport, sometimes there's a bit of a queue but unless you are in a mad rush I would get it when you arrive. You don't need any passport photos for this just fill in a quick form which you'll find just before you go through passport control.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 768480 Doogs - both with the fast fingers tonight Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 853843

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 3 768480
Thank you Doogs and Lai. I think we'll do that. Plus saving money is good at the minute. Will it make sense where we need to go when we get there?
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:01 pm

You're welcome AM and at least we both gave AM the same info Lai !!! Laughing

Sorry, what did you mean by "Will it make sense where we need to go when we get there?" scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Sorry,is it clearly signed where we need to head to get our visas? It was very confusing in Egypt.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next