Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013

+2
Laikipia
Safariman
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  Empty Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013

Post  Safariman Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:45 am

I have started sorting through my photos of my trip to Kenya where I stayed at Offbeat Safaris' Mara Camp in the Mara North Conservancy adjacent to the Masai Mara. These are just a few miscellaneous shots that I have sorted, a much more comprehensive selection will be posted later with stories and hopefully some videos when I get round to editing and sorting everything!! I will keep all my posts under this one thread but with different headings so the thread may end up quite long!!!

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1000510

My tented home at Offbeat Safaris' Camp

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1050810

A small herd of zebras in a hurry

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060410

One of the Marsh Pride 4 Musketeers. (Not sure which one. Can Doogs help out?)

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1050110

A rare sighting of 3 Aardwolf cubs at the entrance to their underground den

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1050510

A Cape Buffalo bull wallowing in Musiara Marsh

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060710

Yellow-throated Longclaw

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060110

One of three 8 week old cubs belonging to an outcast female in the Mara North Conservancy

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060111

Young male leopard yawning

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060010

Male Eland, the largest of the African antelopes

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1050410

4 of the Offbeat Pride cubs playing with an adult female

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060210

A herd of elephants crossing the parched savannah of the Mara

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1050511

Male cub of the Marsh Pride

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1050310

Sub-adult female cheetah

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1050610

Sunset Mara style

Safariman

Last edited by Safariman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  Empty Re: Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013

Post  Laikipia Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:00 pm

http://i73.servimg.c  Safariman.  As ever I love the fact you get stuck in straight away and we get to see a selection of your wonderful photos.

I'm thrilled to see your tent at Offbeat Mara, now Pete and I know what to expect cheers it looks perfect Very Happy   How fantastic to see the aardwolf cubs, I've never seen them before so that's a real treat.  Also great to get a good shot of an Eland, they are normally so shy and flighty and turn and run before I ever get a decent shot.  A really great selection and with all the big cats as well.  

Perfect to end on a lovely Mara sunset, I hope you enjoyed many wonderful sundowners too drunken 

Thanks for sharing.

Lai Very Happy 

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:14 pm

WOW http://i73.servimg.c Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  768480 Those phtos have really made my day Safariman, thanks so much for getting them on so soon after coming back. They really are fantastic, I especialy love that sunset shot. I' now have it as my screen saver. Looking at the Marsh Pride Male I wanted to put Atisshhoo Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  40683 and the Aardwolf Cubs shot is brilliant such a rare glimpse to see them, you did really well to get that one. Great shots of the Yellow Throated Longclaw, and the Leopard yawning. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos, and video, thanks once again for sharing you trip with us

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:13 am

WOW WOW WOW 

Very humble Safariman to call this a mere "preview"! Wonderful images, so clear that they almost put us in the Mara too. Great variety of selection here. I really like the zebras, yawning leopard (no surprises there http://www.picgifs.c ), Eland (that's a really good find), cheetah & sunset, a breathtaking way to conclude this pride of photos. May I call them that? There are a lot of lions in it Very Happy 

Good move WS to highlight this thread on the forum home page Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  768480 

GR leopard in Tree 
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Its a very chilly evening here, quite icy but those pictures have just warmed everything up, they are fantastic Safariman and such a wonderful selection and if thats just a random selection I cant wait to see the rest when you have time.
I am not sure if I have heard of an Aardwolf before and it seems as if they are a little elusive and thats a lovely photo. Im also pleased you got a Buff Boy in there and also those gorgeous Zebras and I must say, thats one heck of a yawn.......Mahoosive!

Thanks so much for that taster to the rest Safariman You the man 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone. I am still busy sorting my photos and have started trying to edit some of the video footage. What I thought I would do is to include an animal specific video with each of the photo posts and stories and also do a general video with short clips of everything I filmed in a separate post but under this thread.
I have managed to edit a short video of the Aardwolf cubs which I will know try to post under a separate thread!! ( change of plan, the video will hopefully now appear under this thread!!!!)

Safariman

Last edited by Safariman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information and change of plan!!)
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  Empty Aardwolf Cubs Video

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:38 pm

This post has been moved to this thread on behalf of Safariman

This is just a very short, one minute video of the Aardwolf cubs. They were filmed under a spotlight which has a special filter to avoid disturbing and blinding the animals too much.
Aardwolfs are part of the hyena family although they look more like the striped hyena rather than the more common spotted one. They are not related to the Aardvark which has a similar name but like the Aardvark their diet consists entirely of termites, specifically Harvester Termites and they can consume something like 200,000 in an evening. The adults (which I have never seen) leave the den when it becomes dark to forage until dawn. The cubs were left to there own devices but never strayed much from the entrance to their den which was only about 400 metres from camp!!

Safariman
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  768480 Thats a great Video of the Cubs Safariman. I knew they were Hyena related, but did'nt know that their main food was termites.It was really good that a special lamp was used so not to frighten, or blind them. I'm not sure what the numbers of Aardwolves are, but it must be rare to get a chance to see them. I've increased the video screen size, hope thats OK with you

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Moved to this thread on behalf of Lai

.That's a great clip Safariman, and a first for me. Really exciting to see the aardwolf cubs so clearly. I do hope they'll still be around in February

Thanks for sharing, another wonderful clip.

Lai.
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  Empty Aarwolf Cubs Video

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Moved to this thread on behalf of Littlewid

What a gorgeous clip Safariman, they are so lovely arent they and those ears are just spectacular   I had never heard of the Aardwolf before, so its a new one to me and I really like them. That must have been an amazing experience for you and to have them so close to your camp must have been thrilling. What a lot of termits they eat in one evening, thats some meal isnt it.
Thanks so much for sharing with us.

littlewid-x-
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks  WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  2224760601  What a way to start off Safariman Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  2224760601 

All photos you have posted are fantastic Very Happy 
Pretty sure your Marsh Male is Morani, lovely shot of him.
http://i70.servimg.c to seeing the Aardwolf cubs.
Stunning leopard shot, love it.
Elands have such amazing horns Cool 
Missed out on a good sunset like that this year, have to go back again next year to get one  . . . .  Wink 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:26 pm

WOW what a fantastic clip of the Aardwolf Cubs, that is really special.  I will confess that I have never heard of them before so very intrigued with with, they are gorgeous little things.  I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you Lai that they are still around come February time, albeit a wee bit bigger Cool 

I always thinks its amazing that so many animals (Lions, Leopard, Cheetah, Hyena, Aardwolf's etc etc) can leave (usually 'cause they have to go out and hunt for food) their little ones in their various Dens and they never seem to stray very far.  You have to wonder what mum tells them before they leave scratch it's amazing and just a natural instict of the wild I guess.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  Empty Mara Safari Video

Post  Safariman Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 am

I have now managed to compile a short (4 minute) video of my trip. As you will see the visit was dominated by big cats and big herds of wildebeast and zebra deciding whether to cross the river and go back to Tanzania or not. I spent a couple days at the river crossing sites and although they gathered in vast quantities did not cross only putting their feet in the water and then turning away; it was probably too cold to go swimming!!!
I will be doing posts on the various encounters with the big cats with additional videos and photos.

Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:24 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Safariman that's fantastic.  What a wonderful selection of different animals and oh to be back in the plains of the Mara Crying or Very sad  Glad to hear your trip was dominated by Big Cats Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  853843 

Did that elephant at the beginning of the clip have no tail ??

Looks like you may have some rather special leopard shots to share with us Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  71418  Was that a male ?  Such a stunningly, beautiful cat and it is such a priviledge and thrill to see in the wild I love you 

If you are lucky enough to come across a lioness and cubs when you have a video camera you can really capture the relationship between the family with them all the playing together and of course the noises they make - I sometimes think it's difficult to achieve this with photos.

We were amazed but very pleasantly surprised at how many wildies and zebra were still in the Mara, it was great. We saw a couple of 'crossings' as such - the wildies passed through gullies where there was no water, it was amazing to watch and listen to Cool 

My mum shot a couple of hours of footage on her video camera when we were away but we have no idea how to edit it Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  615959 scratch  - we'll have to suss that out as she should have some good footage which would be a shame to waste.

Thanks again SM loved watching that and a great choice of music to accompany the video, very appropriate cheers 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:59 pm

You the man  Safariman.  A truly wonderful 4 minutes, which I wish I could have seen on a huge screen to appreciate the amazing wildlife you have captured.

All those lovely big cats looking so fit and healthy and for me the favourite has to be the leopard always, and all those wildies were great to see you really get a feel for life in the Mara watching that fabulous clip.

Oh yes the ele with no tail had lovely tusks so I hope he keeps them.

Thanks for sharing and can't wait for more ..................

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks.
Yes Doogs the elephant was tailless, probably lost it as a youngster to a lion or hyena. I was fortunate to see 3 different leopards, the two males in the video and a female Nelangu who is Zawadi's daughter who I also saw on my trip last December. Nearly all the lions I saw seemed to have young cubs and so I have lots of photos and videos to post. I have an Apple Mac which has its own video editing software which makes life quite easy for me, I am not sure what you need for a PC.
The music was Enya, Storms in Africa which I thought was rather appropriate considering the weather we both experienced.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Safariman I am naving a bit of trouble with my connection tonight, well my screen keeps freezing, so I will nave to check out your video tomorrow........it will give me something to look forward to tomorrow evening Very Happy 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:46 am

I recognised the music as being Enya but I didn't know it was Storms in Africa, very good choice Safariman cheers 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks for the video shares Safariman! When my connection is working a little better I will try to watch them.

Amazing fact about the aardwolf only eating termites!!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Oh WOW Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  768480 You the man Safariman That was brilliant to watch, and I'm not just saying that I really mean it. Such a beautiful selection of clips put together in a fantastic video, and the music really compliments it. Too many different species to comment on individualy, because they were all so great. Thankyou so much for putting that on for us Safariman

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:12 am

Safariman I've shared you Videos with the Guys on Ustream chat at Petes Pond, and they think they are brilliant, one Guy thought compilation was that good it was a TV production. You've had 36 views on the Aardwolf Cubs, and 37 on the compilation

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks for the compliments WS very much appreciated. I am always willing to share my safari experiences particularly with people who have never had the chance to see things first hand.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  Empty Encounters with lions in the Conservancy.

Post  Safariman Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:21 pm

As previously mentioned wherever I went on this safari I came across lions often with small cubs. These are just a couple of those encounters.
The first was on a bright and sunny morning heading north in the Conservancy and having just crossed the Olare Orok River (more of a stream really) we were confronted by 3 small cubs in the middle of the track enjoying the early morning sun while mum kept a watchful eye on them about 20 metres away. David my guide explained that she was an outcast female who had been part of the Chelli Pride but had moved out to try and set up her own small territory. She had chosen a sort of no man's land between the Offbeat Pride to the south and the Chelli Pride to the north. Being on her own with 3 small cubs about 8 weeks old and with no help or back-up from a pride was going to make life very difficult for her although she looked in very good condition and well fed. Soon after our arrival she summoned the cubs and moved off but not before I had managed some lovely photos!!
The second encounter was on my last morning on my way to the airstrip for my flight back to Nairobi. David and Kapeen noticed that some of the gazelles and zebras in the distance were standing to attention and alert rather than grazing which can be a sign of predators around. And sure enough as we went to investigate we saw 3 lions approaching, walking quite quickly. These were 3 members of the River Pride, the third pride in the Conservancy who spend most of their time on the other side of the Mara River away from the Conservancy. There were 2 males and a female, a male of about 4/5 years old almost an adult, a younger male about 3 years old and an adult female. They did not appear interested in any of the game around which nevertheless scattered but had some mission in mind and seemed very focused on whatever it was. Sadly we could not follow them as we had to get to the airstrip but it made a fitting end to my safari.
I have included some photos and a short video (no music) of the two encounters.

The first encounter

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060011

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060012

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060013

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060114

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060014

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060112

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060113

The second encounter

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060711

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060712

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060713

Masai Mara Safari Nov. 2013  P1060714

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Another great selection of wonderful photos Safariman. Those lion cubs really look so adorable and I hope that being a single mother the lioness is able to support them. All your photos are fantastic and the clip really gives a great flavour of what the Mara is like.

Thanks for sharing.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next