Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Scarface speared!!!"

5 posters

Go down

"Scarface speared!!!" Empty "Scarface speared!!!"

Post  Safariman Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:09 am

Just been reading on Facebook that Scarface ,one of the Marsh Pride Four Musketeers has been speared. Probably in a confrontation with Masai cattle herders. He has been treated by the vets and appears to be recovering well. This seems to be an ongoing problem at the moment as mentioned in Jonathon Scott's recent blog. On the one hand the Masai are taking their cattle into the Masai Mara Reserve at night for grazing and at the same time the lions are moving out of the Reserve and into the Masai Conservancies looking for food, unfortunately confrontations are inevitable. With the wildebeest and zebra staying late in the Conservancies and Reserve before returning to the Serengeti the grass has all but disappeared leading to overgrazing and the rains were also late meaning the grass has had very little time to recover. At this time of year there is not a lot of prey available for the predators and not a lot of food for the cattle with the inevitable results as recently seen. A difficult problem to solve.
I thought I would post an old photo of Scarface taken last year!!

"Scarface speared!!!" P1060128

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

"Scarface speared!!!" Empty Re: "Scarface speared!!!"

Post  Laikipia Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks for the update Safarman and your photo.  It is indeed an ongoing problem sadly.

Here's the link to the news via Governors FB page

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.685230634844371.1073741849.195784723788967&type=1

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Safariman thank you for the news. It is such a shame that this happens isn't it but as you say it is a difficult time for all at the moment and lions will be doing what they naturally do and that's hunting for food and they don't know the boundaries that shouldn't be crossed, they want food and there is food to be had with cattle. It would be just perfect if this could be solved for all concerned.
I am pleased the vet treated him and his wound wasn't infected and from Lai's link, he has ben seen up and about albeit a little bit sore, but he is lucky to have his life, a spear could have killed him and that would have been dreadful.
Thank you for the picture, his name really suits him doesn't it, you can tell that boy has had a life for sure.

Thank you for the link Lai, it was good to read he is ok and that they intervened to help him out and to see the pictures they took at the time.

Lets hope he can stay out of trouble.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:59 pm

This really is a big problem in the Mara that is going to have to be addressed. The Masai should not be allowed to take their cows on to the Reserve at night, I'm sorry but it's only asking for trouble as the lion is only acting naturally. It is very unfair of the Masaai to spear lions in these circumstances.

Thanks for the info SM and great picture of old Scar. He's been lucky this time, I just hope there's not a next time.

Good info and pictures on that link Lai, again (as in the circumstances with the missing cub) this is when it is appropriate to help these wild animals. Glad to see that it looks like he will be ok  I love you 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Video of Scar taken this morning (30/01/2014)

2 mins 15 secs he stands up and you can see where the vets have treated him.

Looks like he's got a sore front, right leg/paw, unsure if this is related to the spearing  Crying or Very sad 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153766725070713
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:23 am

Thanks Doogs, good to see Scarface and I love all the bird sounds in the background (shame about the mobile)  What a Face 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Totally agree Lai, on both accounts !!

One of the birds at the beginning is what Vincent always calls the 'work harder' bird 'cause if you listen to his tune it sounds like he's saying 'work harder, work harder' !!! I think it's actually a dove (will ask Vincent to clarify).
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:53 pm

You're right Doogs the bird is a Ring-necked Dove, also known as a Cape Turtle Dove. Its call is one of the most distinctive and as soon as I hear it I am transported to Africa!! In the morning its call as you say is "work harder, work harder" however after mid-day it changes to "drink lager, drink lager"!!!
Good to see Scarface up and about, lets hope he will soon be able to hunt. I will have to try and get David my guide to spend some time and to locate him when I return to the Mara on 9 Feb.

"Scarface speared!!!" P1050111

Ring-necked dove

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:08 pm

I was about to add that Safariman 'drink lager, drink lager' is always my interpretation (Tusker being a good lunchtime drink  Laughing )   We'll also go in search ...  cheers 

Nice photo.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks for that link Doogs but for some reason it's playing at about half a second every 5 seconds, so I will have to look at it tomorrow. Not sure why it's doing that but its great to know he is ok.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:34 am

I see a lot of the Cape Turtle Doves on the Petes Pond Cam

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for clarifying that SM  cheers  Loving the "drink lager" version, that's one I haven't heard before  Cool 

You must hear them calling as well WS ? Once you know the alternatives to their 'song' you'll never get it out of your head !!! Very Happy 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm

Doogs there are so many bird sounds on the different Cams from Africa it's really hard to differenciate which one is coming from which Bird, but I will have a search online to see if I can find a copy of the calls. Love the larger discription SM, wonder if I could teach them to say Boddingtons instead  lol! 

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:54 pm

WS, if you go back to the link for Scarface from FB you'll hear the 'work harder' 'more lager' bird right at the beginning, it's sooo distinctive  cheers 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153766725070713
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:45 pm

"Scarface speared!!!" 768480 lol! Got it Doogs thanks, stll think it would be better if it was Boddies  lol! 

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Possibly but it doesn't blend into the 'tune' as well as lager  lol! "Scarface speared!!!" 40683 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down