Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip

+4
Laikipia
whitestarling
Cremecat
littlewid
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Empty Re: Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip

Post  Doogs Tue May 13, 2014 11:23 pm

These are the remainder of the photos I took on our day, the penguins were a perfect ending to a great time LW and I had together.  This is the first time I have been in a zoo since going on safari in 2006 & I won't deny I had mixed feelings about it.  I was delighted to see the gorillas and the tigers but will admit I hated seeing a female Asiatic Lion pacing back and forth (even though she did have space to walk about further), she looked very unsettled.  When she finally did lie down LW & I were glad that she had and we were a bit happier leaving her like that.  

I don't like see bigger birds (i.e. vultures) being kept in cages that are obviously too small for them and as a result we didn't take any photos or give these as much time as other enclosures.  There was a walk through bit for which smaller birds were able to fly about which was much better and much less restrictive for the birds.

One of the last things we did on our day (before checking round at the tiger enclosure for the cubs !) was to watch the Penguins being fed at Penguin Beach.  They have a lovely big enclosure / pool which looked like they really enjoyed.  

Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Pengui10

Will I or won't I go for a swim . . .
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Pengui11

The youngest member of the group when we were there . . .
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Pengui12

Thanks again LW for a brilliant day  Group Hug 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Empty Re: Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip

Post  Laikipia Wed May 14, 2014 8:42 am

WOW You the man http://i73.servimg.c  Doogs. Some lovely photos and a great commentary on your day at the zoo. I am chuckling about saving your battery just in case ..... we've all been there  Laughing 

It sounds like you had a really good time and saw plenty, I totally agree with you about zoos and about birds in cages. It's a hard one to accept, and I know zoos are trying to improve enclosures (well UK zoos anyway).

Penguins and meerkats are both such appealing little creatures, both of which I could spend hours watching  Very Happy 

A really great selection of photos and thanks so much for sharing. It must have taken you hours to upload them all so  cheers  for doing it.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Wed May 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Some lovely photos from you both. The tiger looks very impressive, people do not realise how big, "big cats" are, especially the males; the size of their front paws are enormous and one swipe spells trouble!! The meerkats and penguins are always fun to watch with their antics and make good photo subjects.
Doogs you will have to remember to always carry a spare battery whenever you take your camera out, there is nothing more frustrating than having to ration the number of photos you can take.
I am very ambivalent when it comes to zoos, I do not like to see animals in restricted spaces and have not visited one in a long time. However I have been very fortunate in being able to watch a lot of wildlife in their natural surroundings but the majority of people will never have that opportunity. Their only chance to see the incredible diversity of wildlife from huge mammals to tiny insects is through zoos and wildlife parks. Children in particular need the chance to see the actual animals in real life and not just on the tv so that they can develop an understanding of the fantastic world we live in and hopefully be encouraged to conserve it. There is nothing better than seeing a real animal full size a short distance away from you!! Sadly some of the bigger mammals are not suited to a zoo environment and life can be very difficult for them, perhaps it is the price we have to pay for protecting them. If people never see real elephants or hippos they are not very likely to be interested in preserving them as they will never relate to them or properly understand them!!!

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed May 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks Lai and Safariman for your kind words. Lai they didn't take too long to download as I didn't have a heap 'cause I was watching my battery !!! Yes your right SM, I should really get a spare, 'just incase'.

I have to agree with you re your comment on male 'Big Cats' they are so much bigger than you expect them to be, I do love their big paws !!

I hear what you are both saying about zoos and because we are so lucky to have witnessed animals in the wild and in their natural environment / habitat it makes it harder for us. LW touched on that very point you make SM that the only chance she (and many other people) will ever have to witness many of those animals is in a zoo/wildlife park environment. I just wish that some of their enclosures were bigger and better - mind you, they are a joy in this country compared to many abroad  Sad Crying or Very sad  I also agree that for children to see all these magnificent animals in the 'flesh' will hopefully encourage them to take an active interest in preserving their futures in the wild, that can't be a bad thing.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Glad you all liked the photo's of Jae Jae, he is one very magnificent male Tiger for sure.

Safariman I completely understand where you are coming from with animals being in the wild but as you rightly say and I have said before, if it wasn't for good wildlife parks and zoos, many of us would never see them in the wild I have the means to go to Kenya but also I can't have the vaccinations, so for me it's wildlife parks and zoos........mind you I would simply love to go to Kenya or South Africa but that's why I enjoy all you safarigoers photo's.......so all please keep going so I can dream I am there when looking at all your glorious photo's.

Doogs your pictures are fantastic, so lovely and I knew you would be getting the eating ones of the Otters.....you are far braver and less weedy than I am  Very Happy  Love the photo of Jae Jae's paws, they are something else aren't they but then again the whole boy is just magnificent. You did good with the little Meerkats that were wriggling around, my photo's of them like that were a blur, definitely didn't do that right  Embarassed 

I agree about the female Lion, she was pacing around a bit, I couldn't make out if she was stressed or wanted the male lion to get up and move and she didn't want to move without him but at least she did eventually settle which was good. They did have more room to move if she wanted to but she was definitely staying put with him wasn't she.

The thing I liked about the zoo was that all the animals looked really healthy, not one of them looked thin or if something was up so that's a credit to the zoo and it's keepers.

I was far too busy watching the bird of prey show so you getting the owl picture is just fab  cheers  she was a fine Owl wasn't she.

Here are my last few pictures of the day. Not up to Doogs standard and the bird pictures are not fantastic, I so loved being able to see them but boy they were hard to photograph, just when you thought you had the right setting it was the wrong one, I have a couple of still shots but then they moved and then others were just right but then they flew off.......I suppose birds will be birds and I need thousands more practice but there were some really beautiful birds there and I loved seeing them but Doogs is right, the vultures etc did need more space I thought but then again they are being ambassadors for their kind so they are doing good.

Not sure what this little bird is ( I forgot to take a mental note of the breeds) but just so colourful and pretty.
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_0931

This little one hardly ever kept still, it was just wriggling all over and was making Doogs and I laugh. I did manage to get one of it being still for about a second but I will post one of it wriggling at full speed, it was a crazy bird but so comical.
Standing still
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_0932
Doing the Hippy Hippy Shake Shake - it goes at quite a speed
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_1039
This little bird is lovely but as soon as you spot them they fly away and getting one of them out of the trees was not going to be possibility because as soon as you saw it, it was off, so here it is hiding
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_1040
Am I too big for this perch?????
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_0933
These two were so cute snuggled together but you were not allowed to use your flash and these two were in the shadow so the photo was dark, this is my only tweaked photo, I had to lighten it so you could see them sort of ok.
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_1041
A couple more of my Meerkat photo's
little one
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_0934
Plane watching
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_0935
On guard
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_0936

Doogs has the best ones of the little one but mum had such a relaxed attitude to him
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_0818

Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_0819
Classic feeding time
Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 Img_1042

Doogs I didn't realise you had reservations about going to the zoo, so thanks heaps for such a wonderful day. I really had a ball  cheers 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 15, 2014 5:38 pm

http://i73.servimg.c  Littlewid, lovely photos, thanks for sharing them.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:36 am

So glad to see that you two lovely ladies managed to make it to London Zoo!!

Some fantastic photos taken and shared  Thanks That purple coloured bird is spectacular and a climbing tiger! Who knew?! Not me  Embarassed Laughing 

Some interesting points made about the pros and cons of zoos too, especially by Safariman. Yes, in many cases it would be better if the enclosures were larger; or quite frankly weren't 'enclosures' at all. But not possible, and of course this is the most accessible way for most of us to witness wild animals first hand.

This year so far I have been back to Melbourne Zoo and more recently to Healsville Sanctuary (where they were celebrating their 80th birthday; made me feel you again  lol! ), where I had some great times.

"Did you hear the one about LW and Doog's visit to the Zoo . ."  Laughing Great meerkat pics too. I am happy for LW that they were there for her!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:37 pm

We did indeed GR and a great time was had by us both.

Good to hear you've been back to Melbourne Zoo and also Healsville Sanctuary  cheers 

Yes LW was tickled pink to see the Meerkats  Cool 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Absolutely fantastic to read last month that LW's and my favourite at London Zoo, Mjukuu gave birth on Wednesday the 10th of December Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 853843   I've googled to see if there are any updates but there doesn't appear to be but these are the links from London Zoo's website and the BBC website.  Here's hoping the little one grows up to have a long and healthy life I love you

http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/news/baby-gorilla-born-at-zsl-london-zoo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30437471

http://i77.servimg.c http://i77.servimg.c http://i77.servimg.c
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 305898 Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 305898 Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 305898 Mjukuu I love you How exciting is that and that meant she was expecting when we were there Doogs Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 853843 A lovely write up and gorgeous pictures of our beautiful Mjukuu and her little one. Loved the video.

I feel another trip to ZSL London Doogs, the little one is a got to see before she goes off else where for the breeding program. I know that wont be for a while but how fantastic to see her whilst she is still little..........Are you up for another trip Doogs Very Happy ........that should be a massive grin smilie Laughing

I am sure I will be visiting the Zoo, just let the weather get a little better and then ofskie to the Zoo.......would be fab if you could come Doogs Group Hug

I get up dates from ZSL but need to make sure I sign up for the updates on this little one and Mjukuu

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Yes it does LW - had to google it but the average gestation period for a gorilla is 8½ months so Mjukuu was definitely carrying the little one when we were there Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 853843

Yes to see her (is it confirmed as being a girl ?) would be great, I'd love to but I unfortunately can't commit to anything at the moment until legally things are sorted out in my personal life which will hopefully in the next few months. There is an offer on the table I'm awaiting a reply.

Remember to post any updates you get Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:50 pm

The little girl has got a name . . . .

"This adorable new arrival has been christened with the name ‘Alika’ – meaning ‘most beautiful’. And as the first offspring of resident silverback Kumbuka, we certainly think her father would approve of the name.

Since her birth, both Alika and her mother are continuing to do well, and the rest of the troop are very settled with the new arrival".

What a lovely and very appropriat name I love you
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:40 pm

What a gorgeous name Doogs, I really love it and it does sound perfect doesn't it I love you Thanks for letting us know. I am a bit behind with my updates and emails Embarassed

Doogs I am sure she will be there for a while, so once you get things sorted on a personal level maybe we can sort something out to try and get to see her. No pressure and I mean that genuinely al I want to say is I am up for it if you are able to at some point in the year........we can take some little camping chairs and just sit there all day and watch them http://i77.servimg.c

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks LW Group Hug Sounds good to me Doogs & Littlewid's London Zoo Trip - Page 2 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  seewildchina Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:40 am

Littlewid and Doogs, your photos, videos and stories at the Zoo last year are so lovely! I enjoyed them very much, the tigers, monkeys, meerkats, otters, giraff, penguines..., so many nice shots! I have much to learn from your photo techniques. Kudos! http://i73.servimg.c And thank you for sharing!

SC (SeeWildChina)
seewildchina
seewildchina

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:00 pm

cheers Thanks SC we had a great time so glad you enjoyed reading about it and looking at the photos
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:17 am

That's great news that you might both be heading back to London Zoo, Doogs and LW!! It means you especially enjoyed it last time. It's nice that you caught onto that update about the gorilla birth too; makes your trip there mean all the more. Alika is a cool name. Pronounce it like "A like her" Very Happy
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:32 pm

WOW They really have grown haven't they. Thanks for the update Doogs. Hope LW has seen it

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2