Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satao the Elephant

5 posters

Go down

Satao the Elephant Empty Satao the Elephant

Post  Doogs Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Famous elephant Satao known for his tusks so large they touch the ground has been killed
for his ivory in by poachers in Kenya

Satao had roamed Kenya's Tsavo East National Park for at least 45 years

He was killed by poachers with a single poisoned arrow, the park said the elephant was admired by thousands of visitors to the park every year

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658305/Famous-elephant-Satao-known-tusks-large-touch-ground-killed-ivory-poachers-Kenya.html#ixzz34o0dxpwa

Mad Sad Mad Sad  Mad Sad Mad Sad  Mad Sad Mad Sad  Mad Sad Mad Sad  Mad Sad Mad Sad  Mad Sad Mad Sad  Mad Sad Mad Sad  Mad Sad Mad Sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Satao the Elephant Empty Re: Satao the Elephant

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:00 am

I saw this on FB and it really is the most despicable and unforgivable thing that is happening to the eles  Twisted Evil   Evil or Very Mad  I just cannot understand how it still goes on, except to say the corruption in Kenya is obviously allowing it and it comes from the top.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad 
I really am too angry to trust myself to reply to this at the moment. I will have to come back to it

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:09 am

Just stumbled on to this as well.

Imagine the agony the elephant while it waited for him to die a painful death before hacking off his face to remove his ivory.

My main concern:

This elephant died despite his high profile which resulted in special protection i.e for the past 18 months, the Tsavo Trust and the Kenya Wildlife Service have been monitoring Satao's movements by air and on foot.

This just shows  even if some efforts are made to protect the elephants the authorities cannot protect them.

Chris

P.S. the national geographic article resulted in 29000 Facebook shares
Beloved African Elephant Killed for Ivory
Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

http://www.africa-wildlife-detective.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Good points Chris, very sad despite all the protection / surveillance this happened to him  Crying or Very sad Sad 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Polite words really fail me with this news. Such a senseless killing and so distressing to read about. His death must have been awful for him but I am only thankful they waited for him to die before they did what they did. The pictures in your link Chris are quite sickening and my heart goes out to Satao.

They talk about how he was such an attraction and it's obvious he must have been but for me the important thing is that an innocent Male elephant has lost his life in a disgusting way so that part of him can become an ornament. Where is the love and respect for these magnificent creatures.

It's also disappointing that even the protection Satao had could not save him from such a gross death. You are right Lai, Kenya is corrupt.

This forum gives you the highs of new Snowie cubs to the extreme lows of news like this. It makes me mad and sick to the stomach. I just hope the poachers realise that what goes around comes around, whether it be in this life or the next.

RIP Beautiful Satao  I love you  you didn't deserve that  Sad 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Saw a link to this article on FB :-

Three suspects have been arrested by Kenya Wildlife Services rangers in Mackinon in relation with the killing of Satao.

Satao, the biggest elephant in Tsavo National Park, was killed by a poacher’s poisoned arrow on June 2.

KWS deputy spokesperson Paul Muya said the three were tracked down by KWS security personnel following intelligence.

Speaking to the Star on the phone yesterday, Muya said the suspects are being interrogated at Mackinon police station.

At the same time, KWS rangers in Taveta  yesterday morning gunned down three suspected poachers and recovered one firearm and several bullets in Tsavo West national park.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:46 am

Thanks  For the update Doogs. Whatever happens to the suspected poachers that beautiful ele Satao is dead and all for mans greed.  Evil or Very Mad   Twisted Evil 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down