Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leopard Hunt Video

5 posters

Go down

Leopard Hunt Video Empty Leopard Hunt Video

Post  SafariCam Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:59 am

Was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to capture this whole leopard hunt on video in the Masai Mara last year:

They're such beautiful creatures, and seeing one in action was amazing. I can't remember the name of this female - don't know if anyone on here can help.

Still shots for ID purposes from Safaricams Video
Leopard Hunt Video 616

Leopard Hunt Video 510

Leopard Hunt Video 310

Leopard Hunt Video 210

WS
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Leopard Hunt Video Empty Re: Leopard Hunt Video

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:54 am

Hi Safaricam
Welcome to WAA, and thanks for giving us the link to your Video. WOW talk about being in the right place at the right time, you certainly were. She was so fast at the end amazing how they explode into action when they are within striking distance. There are a few of the Guys on here that visit the Mara, on a regular basis, and may be able to identify your leopard. To help, what part of the Mara were you in, and what Camp were you staying at ?.
I hope you don't mind I've edited your link so that the Video shows so the Guys can get to it easier.

WS
(Whitestarling The Admin Team)
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SafariCam Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks WS that's great. Wasn't sure how to embed it. Glad you enjoyed the video - like you I just couldn't believe the sheer power once she was up close. We were staying at Intrepids Camp in the Mara and this was within half an hour of the camp I reckon, though not sure exactly where unfortunately.. I think it was a female but may be muddling it now I think about it with another leopard we saw prowling round further west... Sorry!
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:28 am

Great video Safaricam. A once in a lifetime chance to see a leopard hunting and killing in the daytime!! It is amazing to watch them stalk and then see their power and speed when they pounce. They have to be able to get very close to their prey compared to the other cats before they can make a kill. I was lucky enough to also see a leopard kill in Zambia but that was at night.
I can't help with the identification of her as I normally stay in a different part of the Mara in Mara North, but I know Doogs always stays at Intrepid's Camp and is a leopard addict so she might be able to help with the i.d.
Many thanks for sharing, I am very envious!!!

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am

Doogs should be on later Safaricam. I could with your permission take some still shots from your Video to help with the ID, it's important to try to see as much of the facial spots as possible, and also the necklace, which I think I can get a partial side shot of.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SafariCam Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:52 am

WS-Yeah of course - that's fine! Thanks for the help! I have some stills too which I can dig out.

SM- would love to see one at night too! And in a tree! It's an addiction now I feel!
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:08 pm

OK will do, and your welcome, you can try to post some stills, but you normally have to wait 7 day from joining, but give it a try. You will find plenty of Leopard photos from the Guys here in the Members Safari Trips section on the Home Page. Doogs will have posted some from the Intrepid Camp area from last year, and she is going again in November, you may find the Leopards name there as well.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  WMTravellers Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:06 pm

Wow! Amazing footage and nicely edited too! You were so lucky to watch the whole event unfold in front of you. http://i73.servimg.c

Thank you for sharing Very Happy

Last edited by WMTravellers on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
WMTravellers
WMTravellers

http://www.wmtravellers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SafariCam Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks WS

Here's a still that might help:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/18/98/57/40/img_2010.jpg
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  SafariCam Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Last edited by SafariCam on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't upload properly)
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:16 pm

That, by the markings and the location I am 98% sure is our darling little Bahati I love you

How fantastic to have seen that, what a thrill.; It's amazing just being able to see a leopard but a kill WOW

Thanks for posting SafariCam cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  SafariCam Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Bahati? Wow thanks Doogs. Great to know. It was lovely to see her, such a beautiful creature - and yes a real thrill! You're obviously a bit of an expert then?
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:38 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Leopard Hunt Video 768480 Brilliant Doogs RESULT Safaricam. Bahati, is the Daughter of Olive who was sadly killed in a Lion attack last year. Olives Mother was Bella who was one of the stars of the Big Cat Diary series. There are photos on here of both Bahati, and Olive in Members Safari Trips

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:48 pm

I wouldn't say that SafariCam but I've been the Intrepids 6 times before and seen at least one of this family (starting with Bella back in 2006) on each visit - they are a very, very special leopard family I love you   Bahati eluded us last year but was lucky enough to see her little sister Saba.

Here is a picture I took of her back in 2011 - see if you agree  . . . .

Leopard Hunt Video Bahati11
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Just been checking the spot markings, and I agree with Doogs Bahati. her name in Swahelli means Fortune. Sarfaricam you are able to upload photos, after being a member for 7 Days so if there are anymore you would like to share of your trip, I know we would all love to see them. You can post them in Members Safari Trips on the Home page.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SafariCam Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:23 pm

Looks spot on to me Doogs - markings around her nose look identical! Thanks! Lovely to find out a bit about her.. I'll go and have a look at some of the other photos in the forums now...
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  SafariCam Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Thanks WS, I don't have time at the moment to upload photos I'm afraid (starting new term tomorrow - teaching) but there's more footage that I've already uploaded to youtube. I'll try embedding them in another forum post.
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:39 pm

No problem Safaricam, quite understand about the new term. Glad we have been able to ID your Leopard, and as you say it's nice to know who she is, and some of her history. If you have any problem embedding don't waste to much time, just post he links, and I'll embed them for you like your Leopard vid

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SafariCam Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:40 pm

Have embedded my other videos here:

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t3275-masai-mara-safari-2013

More to follow when i get time!
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:42 pm

You're welcome SafariCam, she is a beautiful little lady who I sincerely hope like her mum Olive and grandma Bella will become a great mum in the future - she was taught by the best so she should be !! I love you

Thanks for uploading those videos again will have to check them out when I get more time, never tire of looking at animals in the Mara Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Leopard Hunt Video Empty Written account

Post  SafariCam Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Just realised I never posted a written account to go with the video. Here it is:

I was lucky enough while out in the Masai Mara last year to witness a leopard hunt in the region of Intrepids Camp.

We arrived as the female leopard (thanks Doogs for identifying her as Bahati) had come down from a tree and then emerged from bushes by the track. As you can see from the video below, she rolled in the dust and then appeared to spot gazelle nearby. Instantly her posture changed, she slunk down onto her haunches and crept into the long grass. It was amazing to see how low she could stay, and the stealth with which she moved. As she approached the oblivious gazelle, we watched on from the jeep, and despite standing and looking down at the scene, eventually we lost sight of her too in the grass. Such incredible camouflage when seen in their natural environment!

we waited patiently, holding our breaths, and with my camera trained on the gazelle. Minutes passed but we were all intently waiting and watching. Suddenly, as you see in the video, she exploded out of the grass and around the closest gazelle, who didn't stand a chance, gripping it by the windpipe. Such speed and power was phenomenal to watch - you can see how I jumped on the video!

After it's prey was subdued, Bahati paused to give us a few more photo opportunities and then dragged the gazelle off back to through the bushes. It made me realise how small a leopard is compared to some of the larger cats, as it seemed quite unwieldy for it. We watched it toy with its food in the bushes for a few minutes, and then it disappeared into thick bush (presumably back up a tree again - though sadly I didn't get to witness that).

The whole event lasted about 15 or 20 minutes I should think, and I barely breathed through all of it. It felt a real privilege to be there to witness such a moment..

Safaricam.
SafariCam
SafariCam

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:03 am

A big Thanks Safaricam for posting the account of what transpired on the Leopard hunt, it does make such a difference knowing how it all came about. From the video I wouldn't have guessed you were watching that long. I don't know about holding your breath, I don't think I could have held the cam that steady with excitement, you did brilliant there.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down