Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Welcome to everyday Lets Talk

Post  Laikipia on Fri May 20, 2016 9:10 am

Good morning everyone. Your pond sounds wonderful Safariman, so much going on and yes the mallards really do seem to suffer, they are such rotten parents. We have no chicks at all and no baby pheasants either. Funnily enough we visited a wildlife hospital last Sunday for our Wirral and Cheshire Badger group AGM and on their pond they had some ducklings and one was golden in colour but part of a normal family. I wonder why that happens?

My mother is much better thanks, we helped her find an automatic car a Toyota Aygo low mileage and perfect for her for pop around the place. I'm just getting it serviced and some new tyres and then she's good to go. I took her to see her consultant Tuesday night and he's given her the all clear for driving and sleeping on her side but not for the bath yet, so still showers only. Another check up in 6 weeks and all should be good. It's certainly been an experience for both of us What a Face

I think you're right Safariman - summer has been and gone, it's cold and grey today, so I guess you have the sunshine over those welsh hills WS Laughing

I saw this advertisement in the wildlife magazine for India Safariman and it prompted me to get on and plan something, it's a set itinerary but you can take it any time, the cost varies with the season but it is to see wildlife, so maybe tigers, and of course the Taj Mahal. I would love to see a tiger but for me it's about the whole experience I do hope the scaffolding has gone though!

Have a great weekend everyone.

ps WS I did PM you Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman on Sat May 21, 2016 11:32 am

The pond is still a little chaotic. There are two female mallards with young, 8 and 5; the third has disappeared and so have the young. There are so many predators around at the moment I am surprised any survive. Apart from the cats there are crows and magpies and the local red kites keep swooping down close to the pond to see what may be around.
One of the magpies was even on my bird feeder first thing this morning. I managed to get a not very good quick picture of it.

The India trip sounds exciting Lai; I hope it cools down a little before you go as they are recording record temperatures at the moment. However November should be a lot cooler, the only problem then is the pollution!

Enjoy the weekend everyone even if the weather is lousy.

SM
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Tue May 31, 2016 11:35 am

Strange you should mentiom Magpies SM, we usualy have at least around four, but this year I have only seen one, your post a photo reminded me. Phew been a busy weekend here, loads of people down for the Bank Holiday, and the weathers been lovely lots of sunshine, although the wind can still be a tad cold when its coming off the sea if your in the shade, we have never seen the beach's so packed with lots enjoying a swim, and just lying on the sands. It's been great to see so many adults, and children enjoying themselves so much. Hope you all had a good weekend, and your weather was as kind to you as it was to us

WS

Admin

http://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Tue May 31, 2016 4:06 pm

Good afternoon everyone. Funnily enough we do have a pair of magpie's visiting regularly and eating and drinking at the feeder. I don't bother scarying them away as I feel if they are there they aren't taking little birds from their nests!

I saw that about India Safariman and the intense temperatures, that would be my idea of a complete nightmare being mid 40's What a Face November is supposed to be cooler so fingers crossed.

What a great weekend over the b/h with so much sunshine. Glad it was good over the Welsh hills for you WS. It sounds like you've been busy but it must be much more fun in the sunny Did you take your camera and get any wildlife photos?

Springwatch is back and wonderful so far, I really do enjoy the programme and loved seeing the badger clip last night. I'm recording it the whole way through so I don't miss a single bit

I hope your pond is okay Safariman and the predators haven't wiped out all the chicks. We have not one baby anything just now. We are waiting for more mallard ducklings (hopefully) and maybe some pheasants and although the mandarin ducks have been here they nest in a tree outside the pond area so we only see the parents coming in to feed.

Enjoy the rest of the week and for sunny

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Pleased to see the sun has been shining in the North West WS and Lai. Unfortunately the South East has been cold, wet and miserable. Last night I put the heating on for a couple of hours and looking at todays weather I will probably do the same again tonight.

The pond has quietened down a little, the 4 moorhen chicks are progressing well but the parents have abandoned the nest with the second clutch of eggs. I don't know what the problem was but hopefully they might try again in the future. One mallard duck still has 8 of her ducklings and the other has 3, so they have survived very well and much to my surprise.

The family of 8 ducklings relaxing together at the side of the pond

One of the family of 3 ducklings

The duckling and the daisy!

Water off a duck's back!!

Mrs. Duck making a bit of a splash.

Enjoy the rest of your week everyone. Sunday morning I am off to Kenya, will be staying at Offbeat's Camps in Meru and then Mara North. Should be back well in time to cast my vote to Remain in the EU referendum!!!

SM
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:25 pm

affraid I've missed you Safariman, you've gone now!!!

Lovely pics and update on your pond.

I hope Meru and Mara Offbeat are fantastic and you have a brilliant time.

Ooooooh the Referendum - now that is a controversial subject Shocked What a Face pale

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:24 am

Sorry I missed you SM, hope you had a safe journey, and have met up with lots of friends both human, and animal. You do have a really busy pond there, and its great some of the little ones look as though they will make it. Thanks for the great photos lovely to see them.
Hope your weathers been as good as ours on that side of thehills Lai sunny

WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:46 am

Good morning WS - well it had been great and now it's affraid What a Face Raining Rain what on earth happened to summer?

Looking forward to the final week of Springwatch and unsprung - but I wish it was on for longer I am so enjoying it

Our little birds have all fledged and so have the woodpeckers so it's noisy and busy at the feeders, but lovely to watch.

Hope everyone is okay

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:52 am

Hi Lai
Yes same weather here, bit of a downer after all the sunny we had Sad Our bird life seems quite quiet, although we don't get to see them on the feeders after I had to move it last year after the high winds so we only get to see them when we are outside, and that's no good in this weather.
Yes Springwatch has been great, and certainly not long enough we will miss the endings of so many little stories.
I feel really sad for the Avocets on the scrape, the chicks are being devastated by the Gulls, I know they have young to feed themselves, but it does seem so unfair on the Avocets, they'll be lucky to get in chicks away. Love the Golden Eagle, and the Sparrow hawk .Hope your having a good week

WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Afternoon WS. Wow I enjoyed Springwatch but as you say not long enough. Nature is so tough and it's hard not to feel empathy with the avocets and all those little tits and woodpeckers that the stoat killed. I think Chris Packham puts it across very well and I am trying to think more like him!

Summer now but where is the sunny

Hope all okay with you and Mrs S.

I'm off to Namibia with my friend Ali and J&A on 1st July can't wait!

Catch up soon.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:29 pm

Afternoon everyone.
Am back from another great trip to Kenya and trying to start looking at and editing my photos and videos which hopefully I will post on the Safaris thread.
The exceptional rains of last November and then the follow up rains of April/May had caused an explosion of greenery in Meru. Instead of its' usual dry, arid appearance it has been transformed into a lush, verdant tropical wilderness. Even the ellies, and there were big herds up to 100 strong wandering around, soon got lost in the undergrowth. The wildlife was difficult to see but I still had some amazing sightings and lots of photos.
The Mara North Conservancy had also had good rains resulting in bonnet high grass everywhere. A lot of the plains game had moved out as they prefer shorter grass which meant that both the Offbeat and Acacia Lion Prides had gone walkabout in search of food which made them hard to find. This was compensated for by two cheetahs, Imani and her three 18 month old cubs and her daughter Amani and her 2 three and a half month old cubs, who had taken up residence close to camp which meant I was able to see them every day.

Back now to our "glorious" summer which seems to be wet, humid and pretty miserable and will probably continue that way as Wimbledon starts soon.

Your trip to Namibia with JS sounds great Lai. I assume you will be going to the sand dunes, Skeleton Coast and Etosha. It's somewhere I keep thinking of visiting but as old age creeps up on me the thought of having to fly to SA and then on to Windhoek would probably be too much for me. The 8 hours to Nairobi is about my limit!!

I hope everyone votes in the referendum tomorrow whichever way you decide. As stated previously I am a remainer and talking to the safari people in Kenya they are of a similar view. They feel a leave vote will lead to a devaluation of the £ against the $ making safaris a lot more expensive and putting them out of the reach of many potential visitors. They are also concerned about any trouble at next year's Kenyan Presidential elections which are scheduled for August at the height of the tourist season.

SM
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:35 am

WOW WOW Namibia with J & A fantastic Lai I hope you, and Ali have a great time. I was worried I was going to be home alone Sad , but SM has returned just in rimw to save me from looking for the hermits hut lol!
Sounds as though you've had a great time SM, from what you've said the conditions there are so different than whats happened in SA, and Botswana. They are so dry, and in the Kruger they are culling Hippos, and Buffalo, because the food resources have been virtually wiped out because of the drought which is so sad, but at least it will help save some of them, and the other grazers plus the meat is being given to the local communities. Nature would have performed its own cull in those conditions anyway, and it will prevent lots of dead carcasses lying around creating disease Sounds like some great Cheetah sightings which is good. looking forward to seeing your pics vids, and stories SM
As for summer its not been as bad here for a change it seems that so far west is best this year for a change

WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Good afternoon everyone and welcome back Safariman. It sounds like you've had a great time in Mara North and Meru.

Mmmmmmmmm I am not sure I should start on my political rant except to say what a huge mistake the UK has made (in my opinion) and chaos will now prevail - enough on that otherwise I will go on like a party election broadcast!!!

We're visiting the Skeleton coast to a camp called Hoanib and then back to Serra Cafema which is on the boarder with Angola and simply stunning with the location being on the river. Also back to CCF to see the cheetahs and try some more photography.

Sorry I'm in such haste just now but so much to do before flying out Saturday midday via Frankfurt to Windhoek (only 2 flights Safariman) so easier than via J'Burg but still longer than Nairobi Very Happy

Look forward to catching up mid July cheers

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Have a great trip Lai and I look forward to seeing lots of photos.

Being able to fly direct via Frankfurt should make the trip a little less arduous with only having to change planes once. On my recent trip back from the Mara to Nairobi Wilson I visited 4 different airstrips in the Mara and the flight eventually took over 3 hours!!

The referendum has now turned into one of the great political fiascos of all time and if was not so serious it would be hilarious.

SM
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:45 pm

Have a great safe trip Lai, hope the weather and sightings are good for you

WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Good afternoon everyone

I'm back from a brilliant safari in Namibia - lots of photos to go through and much to catch up on.

I hope all is well with you WS and Safariman Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:24 am

Welcome back Lai, pleased you had a great time in Namibia and look forward to seeing your pics etc.
You go away for a few days and when you return the world has completely changed!! That's life in the 21st. century.

SM
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:47 am

http://www.picgifs.c Back Lai, great to hear you both had a really good time, and looking forward to see what you've captured with your camera
WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:32 pm

I think the world has gone mad Sad Rolling Eyes

I may be some time with my photos - only 1510 taken (a mere nothing compared to Safariman I realise Laughing ) and now down to 976 but still going through them

Enjoy the week everyone - and for sunny  they have said Lightening Rain Raining  and I can't believe it!

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 am

The weather has certainly gone mad, no rush on the photos Lai take your time. The time to worry about the alzimers SM is when you open the fridge door, and think NOW am I supposed to be putting something in, or taking something out scratch lol!

WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:50 pm

I was a little worried Lai by your statement" I might be some time' as it put me in mind of Captain Oates and "Scott of the Antarctic" and we know what happened to him so try not to be too long!! Only 1500 photos you must be slipping or becoming more discerning!!

The weather here is extremely hot and the temp. on my patio is 35 degrees in the shade as you say WS the weather has gone mad and they are predicting thunderstorms for Wales so I hope you survive ok.

WS I have the fridge problem cracked as I know if it is a cold bottle of beer in my hand I must be taking it out, anything else I put it in!!

WS as I have started a new thread on my recent trip to Kenya on the Members Safaris slot could you delete my wrongly labelled video from the Imani thread to avoid any further confusion!! Thanks.

SM
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:02 pm

SM I've deleted the video, and all the related comments after to avoid confusion.
Ree the Fridge your a Man after my heart, I came up with the same answer except that in my case it was a can of Boddingtons http://www.picgifs.c lol! .

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:22 pm

You the man WS and Safariman enjoying your fridge comments

Oh that's very good Safariman I like that comment about Scott (especially as I have just been with the Scott's) - I thought I had taken masses Safariman - if I took anymore I would take a month of Sundays to even get through them once scratch

Thankfully today's it's cooler as Monday and Tuesday were scorchers here and we're exhibiting again at RHS Tatton Flower Show so less sunny needed and a little cooler would be good. This year I'm so thrilled and proud of my wonderful team of gardeners as we were awarded a Silver Gilt we'll be celebrating after the show for sure.

Have a good rest of the week everyone and hope you're all okay and enjoying the summer.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:42 am

Congratulations to you and your team Lai on your Silver Gilt Medal at Tatton you must be very proud and I am sure you had a great celebration.

I am still slowly going through the photos from my last trip but the unusual warm weather is keeping me outside rather than stuck ion front of my computer!!

Have a good week everyone.

SM
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks Safariman. I'm over the moon and we all are. Celebrating has to wait until 3rd August as we've a few staff holidays and of course now a couple of days at Tatton to break down the garden! The other exciting bit was it featured on the BBC2 programme on the RHS Tatton flower show on the Thursday night with Rachel Thame in the garden talking about it happily I had set the programme to record so I can show it to everyone who ever visits Laughing

I agree about the weather, it's better to be outside while the sunny is shining, the photos can wait ................................................. cheers

Enjoy the week.

Lai

Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum