Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Cat Diary Family Tree

+4
Safari Maiden
whitestarling
Laikipia
Doogs
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Big Cat Diary Family Tree Empty Big Cat Diary Family Tree

Post  Doogs Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Lai this is possibly up your street and I'd be interested to know if you or anyone else has the info or knows where the info is.

I'd love to see a family tree of our BCD stars, past and present. There is one of Bella etc on the BBC's Big Cat Website ( www.bbc.co.uk/bigcat/animals/leopards/index.shtml ) but I wondered if there was the same sort of thing for the lions and cheetah ? I know it's not so easy for them (espcially the lions) as there has been a lot of comings and goings and there's also more of them but I know I've been confused in the past about which lions have been in which Prides etc - The Ridge Pride being a prime example scratch Even if it wasn't a proper FT but even to say who's been in who's pride etc etc

I'm sure it's a long shot but it would be so good to have and so interesting Big Cat Diary Family Tree 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Big Cat Diary Family Tree Empty Re: Big Cat Diary Family Tree

Post  Laikipia Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Interesting one Doogs - I am not sure if some of the info might be in the BCD book. I have it at home and will have a look later.

Here is a link http://www.livingwithlions.org/mara/ which helps a bit.

I will see what the book says and get back to you Doogs. I find the lion prides really confusing especially with all the sub adults.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks Lai, yer a Like a Star @ heaven x
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Another BCD question - I've got the 4 DVD's that have been released (first one features Bibi, Kike, Bella and her two cubs inc Chui) etc etc. Was/is there nothing available on DVD pre this time - ie. early Marsh Pride (Blondie as male) when Saba covered them, Half Tail / Shadow / Safi etc etc when Jonathan covered them ???
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Doogs - i've no idea, and i'm not sure who would know. What about getting in touch with the BBC

I had a quick flick through my book last night and it doesnt have a family tree. Short of reading it all again and trying to fit it together I am not sure how to answer. J & A blog has quite a lot of info as he was trying to piece things together - might be worth a look back through.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:28 pm

No problem Lai. There's a wee clip on You Tube from the very first programme but can't seem to find any more. Was interesting to read Wikipedia as they refer to cheetah's Kidogo and Fundi from the early series (never heard of these cheetah) and also did you know that Duma's mum (from 2006) is Shakira ? 'cause I didn't !!!

Will have a good look through J&A's Blog one night to see what I can find.

When are they back Lai, do you know ? No updates since 26/08 which was nearly 3 weeks ago Crying or Very sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Well I'm home Doogs and just looking at my two Big Cat week DVDs - first one is the complete 1st and 2nd series and the other is complete 3rd series.

Reading from the back of the boxes

1st series covers Simba (Marsh Pride male) and Bibi with 2 young cubs. Kike with cubs and Bella with 2 cubs.

2nd series - Cheza and Sala. Kike's 3 cubs on their own. Chui going solo.

3rd series - Notch faces a takeover for the Marsh Pride. Chui is still with Bella. Little Toto is alive.

Yes, I did, I think SK revealed that - but it doesnt half get confusing trying to keep up Doogs scratch

What we need is a complete run through of all the series once a week until we are up to speed Big Cat Diary Family Tree 71418 well we can dream Big Cat Diary Family Tree 853843

Not sure when J & A are back - they were at Governors for 10 days and then on to Germany. Hopefully an update soon.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:47 pm

Yes that's the same as what I've got Lai.

Series 1, according to the DVD's we've got was not actually Series 1 as per when the programme was screened. If you look at the back of the DVD's they give you a date of production, think our first series DVD's might have been 2005 or 2006 but BCD started in 1996, wonder why they didn't put the proper first series and a few more after that on DVD ??? !!!! scratch

To clarify that point possibly, on J&A's Blog, Big Cat Diary - What is Happening, J&A say in their responses "I agree that it would be fantastic to have the Complete Big Cat Diary on DVD – multiple box sets. Sure it would be popular – a great gift for all your friends. But as far as I know it is not about to happen sadly".

I didn't realise J&A were going to Germany after the Mara, cheers cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:12 pm

What a brilliant idea a complete family tree of BCD. That would be fantastic, it is difficult to remember all the favourites in the right order . I would really like to see that.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Big Cat Diary Family Tree 305898 well volunteered WS

Lai Big Cat Diary Family Tree 40683 and Big Cat Diary Family Tree 431638
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:11 pm

confused confused confused Who are you? Vounteered for what ????? scratch scratch scratch
WS Big Cat Diary Family Tree 40683 yourself
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:33 am

Good try Lai lol! and good idea Big Cat Diary Family Tree 768480 Razz
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm

oooh Thanks WS!

I have the 3 DVDs too but if WS if sorting the Tree then happy days Wink Wink

Big Cat Diary Family Tree 768480

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:17 pm

I found this bit of info
The lion prides
The Marsh Pride
They have been the most successful group to be filmed for Big Cat Diary. In the first season, the pride was numbered at 4 male lions, 7 lionesses and 16 cubs, making them one of the largest prides ever. The longest-standing member of the pride to be featured on the show was Khali, who was eight years old when Big Cat Diary started in 1996. As of 19 January 2010, the surviving cubs of the 1998 buffalo attack are now the oldest lionesses in the pride. These are White-Eye and the Blonde sisters, Bibi and Lispy (Bibi was kicked out of the pride in 2003 and was featured on the first series of Big Cat Week as she struggled to raise her two cubs without the support of the pride, though she was later accepted back into the main marsh pride). There are also the Three Graces, Joy, Charm and Beauty, three young females who have broken away from the main pride and formed a "satellite pride". The pride has had a succession of male leaders, including Blondie, Scruffy, Scar, Simba and Notch. The current joint leaders of the pride are two males known as Romeo and Claude. Jackson Looseyia reported in a blog entry that Red had died.

The Ridge Pride
This pride has only appeared in the more recent series. The main lions in this pride are Cheza and Sala. These two are young cubs that are growing up together despite having different parents. They were one of the main features of the 2005 series. As adults, they have since joined forces with another young lion from the Ridge pride and have taken over a nearby pride.

Tamu and her four cubs
The focus of the 2007 series was Tamu, a lone lioness with four cubs fathered by Notch of the Marsh Pride. Tamu was a social outcast and had to hunt alone to provide for the needs of her cubs. She was met with hostility from all lions, especially the lionesses from the Marsh Pride. Tamu lost one club in a lion attack by the son of Notch.

[edit] The cheetahs
Kidogo and cubs
In the first series, the show followed first-time mother Kidogo and her adventures trying to protect her two cubs. The male cub was a mischievous cheetah and the younger female always followed her brother. This usually led to trouble.

Fundi and cubs
Fundi was also part of the first series and continued for many years onwards. Fundi hunted regularly in thick, acacia trees to keep her two adolescent cubs well-fed, unusual for cheetahs who usually hunt on open plains.

Amber (sometimes known as Queen)
Amber was first seen as mother to three small cheetah cubs, one later named Kike (pronounced Kee-Kay). She had a distinctive notch in her right ear. Amber was one of the first cheetahs to jump onto the jeeps and use them as vantage points to spot danger or prey. She was last seen and filmed in 1999.

Kimbia
Kimbia was the territorial male cheetah in 2000.

Kike and her three cubs
Amber's daughter Kike returned in the first Big Cat Week in 2004. Discovered at Rhino Ridge, Kike was mother to three small cubs. This was Kike's fourth litter, but she hadn't previously raised even a single cub successfully. Like her mother Amber had done, Kike used the jeeps as vantage points to watch for danger or prey and even occasionally as toilets. The three cubs went on to appear in the 2005's Big Cat Week. In an October 2008 webcast for Big Cat Live, Jonathan Scott explained that given Kike's age and the fact that she had not been spotted recently, she had probably died. He confirmed that her three cubs have survived and that her daughter Itchy has raised cubs of her own.

Honey and her cubs, including Toto
Honey first featured on Big Cat Diary in 2002, where she was struggling to raise three young cubs, even to the point of seeing off a male lion to keep them safe. For 2006's Big Cat Week, viewers were introduced to her young cub, Toto, a Swahili word meaning "little one". Honey was not credited on screen as Toto's mum because this was not known until after the series was filmed.[5] When he was first filmed, it was estimated that Toto was only 6–8 weeks old, making him the youngest cheetah cub ever to be filmed on Big Cat Diary. Keeping Toto alive seemed to be a constant battle for his mother: he survived close encounters with baboons, lions, and other dangers. It is estimated that only 25% of cheetah cubs make it to maturity.

In the final episode of the series, Toto went missing overnight after a storm, and was not found. It was reported a few days later that Honey was found living alone. Nobody knows what exactly happened, but Toto had not survived. The end credits that year consisted entirely of footage of Toto.

Honey returned in the 2007-2008 series. When filming began, she had four cubs, but one, a female, was soon lost in a lion attack. The cub was last seen alive feasting when Jonathan Scott noted that Honey was being risky by letting her cubs feed for so long. The cub was found the next day by Honey, dead, in a thicket of grass.

In February 2007, nearly an entire year before her final appearance on screen Honey was killed after a vet accidentally shot her in the wrong place with a tranquilising dart. The dart did not go into the muscle but hit her in the stomach near her kidneys. Oblivious to his mistake, the vet went on to treat Honey's cub while she was left out in the scorching afternoon sun.[6]

In April 2008, Honey's three remaining cubs, all males, were still doing well. After her death, the Mara Conservancy had to provide food for them for several months. However, they were now fully grown, capable of hunting together and have become self-sufficient. It is believed they have even taken down an adult topi.[7] They have also been seen hunting zebra, a risky prey species for cheetah due to their kicking hooves.[8]

In October 2008, the three now fully grown sons of Honey were filmed during Big Cat Live. They had all formed a strong bond and are actively seeking to mate with females. Unfortunately, this led to them having a confrontation with Shakira and her cubs.

Shakira and her cubs
In 2006's Big Cat Week, Jonathan Scott (while following the story of Honey and Toto) introduced us to Duma and her mum (later named Shakira). In a special Big Cat Diary broadcast after the series, Scott told the story of Duma in more detail, revealing the moment she left her mother to become independent.

For Big Cat Live in 2008, Scott again followed the story of Shakira. This time however, Shakira had five baby cubs. Two cubs died during the series (possibly killed by hyenas). So far, the three remaining cubs, all of which are female, have survived. The cubs have been called Moja, Mbili and Tatu meaning "one", "two" and "three" in Swahili.

[edit] The leopards
Half-Tail and Shadow
Big Cat Diary only followed one leopard family through each generation. This family started with Half-Tail, one of the most famous big cats who appeared on the show for quite a few years. She was named Half-Tail after a clash with baboons or lions in which she lost half her tail. She is the only leopard in the show who was not shown killing any large prey on screen. Half-Tail only ever managed to raise three cubs. Beauty and Shadow were her daughters and were both featured in the series. She also raised a male cub called Mang'aa. Half-Tail had her sixth and final litter of cubs in 1998 but was sadly killed when she attacked the livestock. As her cubs were too young to fend for themselves they died shortly afterwards. Shadow was to be the next leopard they followed and she went on to have a cub herself called Safi, who was rather shy of the cameras. When the show returned in 2004, a new family was chosen ending the line. Shadow was filmed briefly for Big Cat Week series three (broadcast in 2006), however the footage was not shown during that series. The footage would later air in a special documentary.

Bella and family
Bella and her son Chui appeared on the show together for three years. They first appeared in 2004, when Bella was mum to two small three month old cubs, Chui and his sister. Months after filming ended, Chui's sister vanished. It later became clear she was dead, probably killed by lions. In 2005, the public and crew said goodbye to Chui and saw what should have been the final shots of them together, as he would leave Bella's side and protection sometime after filming. In October 2006, it was announced on their website that Chui had now been chased away by the resident male and Bella was now mating again. Chui has now been reported to have moved to a new territory downriver, where he was seen mating with a new female in Bella's adjacent territory. In Big Cat Live, viewers were introduced to Olive. Olive is Bella's daughter from 2001, before Chui was born. Olive has three cubs, one male, eight-month-old Kali and two females, Ayah and Binti, independent from their mother. Bella, Olive, Ayah, Binti and Kali were nicknamed the "Jackson Five" after new presenter Jackson Looseyia, who was following their progress. The names Olive, Kali, Binti and Ayah were given these leopards by Paul Kirui, veteran safari guide and a spotter for the leopard filming crew since 2006. The "Jackson Five" is intriguing because three generations of the normally solitary cats are living together.

On 2 September 2009, Looseyia posted on his blog a picture of Olive carrying a cub in her mouth. She has a new litter of cubs. Looseyia stated it would appear to be two cubs. Kali has been chased away by Olive. Bella has since died.

Sorry did I say bit lol!
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:05 am

Big Cat Diary Family Tree 71418

F A N T A S T I C

WS you are a real star for finding and posting that - thanks so much. I am going to read it again a few times so I remember it all.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Well Done WS.

Its great to see who is were and with who. There are so many characters I remember its easy to forget their relationships to each other.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for posting all that WS, am I right in saying your got that on Wikipedia ? That's what I was reading with the references to the two cheetah Kidogo and Fundi that I'd never heard of scratch It is an interesting read and I didn't know there was Khali in the Marsh Pride back in the early days.

This is great info but it does seem as though the very early BCD stuff is hard to find and track down for some reason scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Yes Doogs got that off Wikipedia. Heres's a bit more info on Kidogo & Fungi

The cheetahs
Fundi and Cubs
In the first series, the show followed Fundi and her adventures trying to protect her cubs. There were two cubs. One of the cubs was a mischievous cheetah and the other always followed her brother. This usually led to trouble.

Amber
Amber was first seen as mother to three small cheetah cubs, one later named Kike. She had a distinctive notch in her right ear. Amber was one of the first cheetahs to jump onto the jeeps and use them as advantage points to spot prey. She was last seen and filmed in 1999.

Kidogo and cub
Kidogo was also part of the first series and continued for many years onwards. A first-time mother, Kidogo hunted regularly to keep her cubs well-fed; this led to her being a very entertaining cat.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Brilliant stuff WS cheers That made me pick up my Stars of BCD Book and have a little browse. As the others have said, there are so many that we remember and its lovely thinking of them all again. I dont actually have any of the DVD's, I wished I did, I need to see if I can get any from Amazon.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Try this link Guys there are also more Videos of the series, but it's a bit late for me to look now. You may find Khali, Kidogo, and Fundi