Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet WS's Birds

+3
littlewid
Laikipia
whitestarling
7 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Meet WS's Birds - Page 5 Empty Re: Meet WS's Birds

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Jay's look beautiful sound dreadful and are not the nicest of birds! We have some who sometimes come to the feeders but they are very shy and don't hang around!

Nice photos WS.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Wow he doesnt look that big in the photo does he but i am surprised to hear they are not the nicest of birds Lai, are they bossy birds? it seems strange they are shy but not nice, I wonder if it is their shyness that makes them not nice, maybe they get a little anxious.
I didn't realise they were a member of the crow family either.....I need to study my birds a lot more Embarassed
Hopefully as you haven't see him for a few days WS I hope he is ok.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:37 am

From the RSPB

Although they are the most colourful members of the crow family, jays are actually quite difficult to see. They are shy woodland birds, rarely moving far from cover. The screaming call usually lets you know a jay is about and it is usually given when a bird is on the move, so watch for a bird flying between the trees with its distinctive flash of white on the rump. Jays are famous for their acorn feeding habits and in the autumn you may see them burying acorns for retrieving later in the winter.

As part of the corvid family they can be aggressive towards other smaller birds, I may be wrong on this but I believe that to be so.

Personally I love to see them, they have beautiful markings, and last year used to visit the garden feeders, this year we've been taken over by Magpies and Jackdaws and Crows so the Jays don't get a look in!

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Your right Lai. Jays are very aggresive, they will attack nests, and nest boxs, and take smaller Birds young. If you have nest Boxs it's recommended that you cover the entry hole surround with a metal protection cover, as you would do if you have Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, but that is the Corvid family for you. They are all aggresive, but also very clever.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:01 pm

I Agree WS - they are unbelievably clever, that's why my bird food goes down so quickly Laughing they've learned how to get at even the nyger seeds!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 pm

I love the fact that they are clever, I really like to see animals that can work things out but I must admit I do not like the fact that they take other birds young, that is not clever at all......well not in my book it's not.
I wonder if they actually are shy or is that being mistaken for craftyness on their part, hiding in the trees so they can swoop on something, just a thought.
Thanks for the info from the RSPB Lai.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5