Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Badger Cull Protest

+5
Laikipia
Doogs
littlewid
princesspurplehippy
whitestarling
9 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Badger Cull Protest - Page 5 Empty Re: Badger Cull Protest

Post  littlewid Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks Lai, I have signed the petition and also the No 10 one as well.

Have you heard anything about the appeal that was happening on the 11th?

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:25 am

Read in the paper yesterday. The Judges turned down the Appeal Sad
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:09 am

Bad news all round but plenty of action going on - SK on Twitter and Mike (badger cam) on Twitter also stuff on FB. Will add links later.

Sorry a bit quiet but Broadband on and off, causing problems so only time to look in briefly.

Lai

https://www.facebook.com/#!/StoptheCullCampaign

http://www.badgerprotectionleague.com/?fb_action_ids=524371237589311&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map=%7B%22524371237589311%22%3A488112918277%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22524371237589311%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=[]

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:13 pm

I did sign your RSPCA Petition Lai.

That's not good news about the appeal being turned down No

Will catch up with the links you posted later, thanks
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:50 am

Thanks for those two links Lai, I will have look at them this evening. Heres another one that is just newsy about the decision.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9536573/Badger-cull-to-go-ahead-this-autumn-as-last-ditch-legal-challenge-fails.html

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad this makes me feel sick, I have such a passion for badgers and can hardly bear to think of what is going to happen.

There is always hope, plenty of activity behind the scenes I am sure, I've been watching FB and Twitter via my mobile and just hope than common sense will prevail and the vaccine can be used instead.

via Andy Rouse
http://www.teambadger.org/BTB.html

and

worth watching

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Checked the links now Lai thanks for putting them on, and signed the new joint petition. As you say people are still working to stop this murder of the Bager population of England. I find it incomprensable that the Government, and the Law can go against the findings of the Goverments own requested study, and findings into the effects of a Badger Cull. I think as the journalist in the Video ( Really worth watching ) said the Farmers are so angry they need to see blood, and they really do'nt care about the outcome, they just want something to vent their anger on, and the Government are happy to do anything to appease them. Which is a political decision not governed by scientific advice, or facts.
It makes me sick to.
Thanks for the links, and the Video Lai.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:06 pm

I will catch up with your links and video over the weekend sometime Lai. I just found that article quickly this morning and hoped to have time to look at your links this evening but its been a bit chaotic but promise I will look at them over the weekend.
To be honest though I feel really gutted and angry at the moment and I just keep imagining scenes of massacre.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 pm

If you haven't yet signed this petition please do so urgently

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257

Badgers - so now its really down to us . This petition needs 100K names to work . Its got 23609 .
Chris Packham

Simon King will be on BBCs Newsnight programme discussing the badger cull.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 pm

I had the below email from my MP today. My friend had exactly the same one. I think a lot of these kind of emails will be going out in reply to our emails.

Dear Kerin Ingman,

Many thanks for your recent email about the control of bovine TB and badger culling. I understand the strong feeling that many people have on this issue.

Bovine tuberculosis (bTB) is, however, having a devastating effect on many farms and families, with nearly 25,000 cattle slaughtered in England in 2010 because of the disease. Bovine TB has already cost UK farmers £90 million and unless the Government takes effective action it will continue to spread amongst the wildlife and livestock population. It is predicted that the disease will cost the taxpayer more than £1 billion to deal with over the next ten years. It is clear that doing nothing is not an option.

Due to the seriousness of this problem, the Government will proceed with two pilots in West Gloucestershire and West Somerset. These have been selected, from a shortlist proposed by the farming industry, as the most suitable to pilot controlled shooting of badgers.

This is in line with the approach taken by a number of other countries in tackling bovine TB, including Australia and New Zealand. An independent panel of experts will be asked to oversee and evaluate the pilots and report to Ministers before a decision is made on whether to roll out the policy more widely. These pilots must be carried out in accordance with strict licensing conditions.

Let me assure you, the proposed method for shooting badgers is used widely and considered humane for culling a range of mammals, including deer. Clear safeguards will be put in place to ensure that no unnecessary harm is caused. Operators will have to prove competence and attend an approved training course to obtain a licence to carry out culling.

While many argue for vaccination instead of culling, this is not currently a viable option. An effective cattle vaccine and an oral badger vaccine are still some years away. The Government is still committed to developing a vaccine by investing £20 million over the next five years.

The High Court has recently confirmed that the Government’s proposed cull can go ahead and Natural England is now in the process of assessing applications to take part in the proposed pilot scheme.

I know this has been a very difficult decision for Ministers and we all hope that the eradication of this terrible disease can be secured as swiftly as possible.

Best wishes,

Sir Tony Baldry

Sir Tony Baldry MP
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA
tel: 020 7219 4476

email: tony.baldry.mp@parliament.uk

www.tonybaldry.co.uk
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 pm

the guy whose study the government is using to justify the cull has come out and said the cull is 'crazy' and he is the one of the governments most respected science advisor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19623931
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks Lai & PPH for the latest updates. I've put the new petition on the main page again with the new link, hopefully visitors will follow that, and sign it. PPH, it just shows how crazy the Cull is when the Governments own advisor, is against it, might be worth emailing that article to your MP.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:58 am

I think I might do that WS although I think it may be a waste of time as my MP is known to be a member of the 'shooting and hunting' brigade
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks PPH, i've been following everything on Twitter and FB. Newsnight with Simon King was good I thought, sadly missed Breakfast TV this morning, but certainly things are hotting up on this.

100,000 signatures needed on the petition so please pass on to as many people as possible.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257

Thanks

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Petition signed - Number of signatures: 42,899
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Badger Cull Protest - Page 5 768480 Doogs - every single signature is wonderful, and the number is increasing by the hour.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks Lai, I have already signed the epetition......hopefully more will continue to sign. I have missed all the breakfast and newsnight stuff.

I remain so maddened by all of this. The reports in both those links say that a cull "Could" not "Would" reduce BTB and it is only by a supposed 16% in 9 years, 16% is a miniscuel amount because it leaves 84% open to contracting BTB, so it's not going to even solve half the problem.

I have so many issues over this, it worries me that Badgers that come out to feed are just going to be shot, there is going to be no concern over whether they have cubs, whether they are expecting cubs and more importantly whether that individual badger even has TB, many Badgers are going to be slaughtered for no reason.

Also, it has been said/proved that there is no way to know how many Badgers are in one particular area, so how will a farmer/farmers, know when they have murdered 70% of that Badger population? they won't will they, so they could potentially eradicate all the Badgers from that area because as we know the farmers are going to keep shooting everytime they see a free roaming Badger and lets be honest, a Badger has got to leave the set to feed, so they are potentially all going to be killed and if there are cubs in the set they will starve to death once their parents are murdered.

Farmers have a strong dislike of the Badger ( I believe) and I feel that they will not worry about how many Badgers they kill, I personally dont think they will be happy until every Badger has been eradicated and as I believe no one is paying to test each Badger to see if it has TB, the only option is for the farmer to keep killing every Badger he sees out of the set and as he has no tally as to how many he can kill in his area to amass to 70%, he will keep on killing.

More sense really does need to be installed here otherwise for proven scientific research that mass culling/murdering does not work, we are potentially going to loose our entire Badger population.

I am so sickened by this stupid decision I have tried to be as polite as I can be. If Wales can opt for a vaccine why can't we??????

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:48 pm

I've signed number now 46,338, and climbing.
I've also sent out a News Letter to all Members with a direct lnk to the petition site, so that they do'nt even have to visit the Forum to sign the petition, hopefully this will add a few more.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:45 pm

princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks WS - we can get the number of signatures up if we just keep on trying.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Got the email from my MP today. As you will see from the letter he's a Welsh MP, and like most following the Government line, although he excuses Wales decision as having been made on the, whats good for Wales does'nt mean it good for England
Badger Cull Protest - Page 5 Bad_0010

This is a copy of the letter from Defra to the Minister he mentions.
Badger Cull Protest - Page 5 Bad_0011Badger Cull Protest - Page 5 Bad_0012

Notice in the last paragraph, it states that only a 16% reduction was achieved, it also does'nt mention that there was a rise in surrounding areas as I'm sure I remember reading somewhere. I wonder if it would be a good idea to contact the Petition organisers, about putting together, a response to be sent to MP's who have written to people who have signed the Petition, stating the scientific evidence against a cull even by their own advisors, and that the Government is acting against that advice, so how can you justify the culls going ahead.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:53 pm

I got those letters as well via my local MP (Robert Smith)
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Thats a good idea WS,if their own scientific advisor is against it its worth a go.

I put my worries on here yesterday and although it was quite angryly put I think my concerns are valid and they may be some others concerns as well.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 am

Sorry I am struggling to post, broadband completely off at home and so no mobile signal and in office intermittent. I am still behind this campaign 100% and will write to my MP again!

The petition now has
75,136 signatures which is brilliant.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next