Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Badger Cull Protest

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Re: Badger Cull Protest

Post  Laikipia on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Mail On-line today

Badger cull - it will not happen

http://hanlonblog.dailymail.co.uk/2013/03/badger-cull-it-will-not-happen.html

Let's hope he is 100% right.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:51 pm

I Agree I really hope he's right to Lai, as everyone says it completely goes against all scientific evidence, and even common sense
Thanks for posting Lai
WS

Admin

http://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Lets hope he is right Lai as that will be brilliant news. I have just tweeted it.....I think I am going to be tweeting like mad.!

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:03 am

Pete and I are off to a training day by Wirral and Cheshire Badger Group on Saturday. I will try and find out more then.

Should be a great few hours learning about badgers.

Lai http://i77.servimg.c
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:10 pm

That sounds like a great day out Lai, and it will be good to hear what they say. Looking forward to your report. Our http://i77.servimg.c need all the help we can give them
WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:07 pm

That sounds really fascinating Lai, can't wait to hear all about the day and if they have any news about the proposed cull.

Was this learning about badgers as a species or how to protect them?

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:03 am

I'll be sure to let you know later, just off there now ..........

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Hope you had a good time Lai, and it will be interesting to hear what was said about the culling, and what can be done to stop it
WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:05 am

Well we didn't get a chance to talk about the proposed cull.

We (about 15 of us + the committee) were learning about rescuing injured badgers and reporting dead badgers. It was the first training day they've done and very interesting if not a little distressing hearing about snaring which is legal and some horrendous injuries that happen as a result of snaring. What to do if you find a badger cub, what to feed them on (no cows milk), who to report to, where to take them etc etc.

It was informative and they hope to do more. Sadly the membership which in the 80s was over 1,000 is now about 220.

In Cheshire we have no TB but before badgers are released they are tested 3 times. An injured badger when released must be taken back to the exact spot it was found, so it's essential to make a note of this.

We've volunteered to host a training day looking for and recognising setts which should be great if it's possible.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 pm

That sounds really good Lai and well worth attending. I wonder if our local group has such a training day, I will check it out and see.

Thats sad to know the numbers have really dropped. I wonder if that's disinterest or people moving away, passing on etc and maybe people just not being aware there is such a group.
Well done to you and Pete for offering to hold a training day, you will have to let us know if that goes ahead, I hope it does.

I suppose then that Badgers must be lactose intolerant if they can't have cows milk or is it for some other reason?

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:48 pm

It's worth checking out your local group Littlewid and finding out about training days.

Yes, badgers are lactose intolerant, like the little eles. So the suggestion is really water so they don't dehydate, with some glucose maybe and through a plastic syringe. If they are weaned it can be something like chappie dog food.

Just waiting for a date in April, sadly the one they suggested we are away in Galapagos so hoping to sort out another date.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm

I will surely check out my local group Lai and see if they do have training days. I have never seen a little cub but sadly lots of Badgers from traffic accidents but the training would be good.

Hopefully another date can be sorted for you to host the training, the more people trained the better I think.

Lactose is hard for many animals to digest so that doesn't surprise me. If anyone needs any Chappie I am your girl, it's the only dog food Nero will eat and the only one that doesn't upset his digestion, so I always have loads here Very Happy

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Funnily enough I take a lactose enzyme so i know about intolerance!

The lovely thing was last night we were driving back from being out with friends and we saw a live badger on the road, we stopped and watched it as it crossed, scurried along the edge, re-crossed and then went into the hedge, only about a minute but a clear viewing and I didn't cause an accident by stopping, it was a country lane!!!

We always have a tin of Chappie in the cupboard too Laughing

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:20 pm

How exciting that was Lai to see a live Badger, I am only too pleased it was you and Pete that came across it at that time and not some other person who doesn't like Badgers or wouldn't be watching out for them, especially as it crossed the road twice!

So you have an affinity with Badgers and Lactose Hugs

I will let you know what I find out from our local group.

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks Littlewid, we're just agreeing a date in April now and then where to go depending on how many people want to come.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Lai, and Pete for stopping for the http://i77.servimg.c crossing the road, and also being sensible enough despite your both obvious love of animals, to do it in a safe place. I was'nt going to put this on the Forum as I know it's upsetting, but a few weeks ago we saw what was clearly a whole family unit, in a period of several days killed in crossing a main road that leads up to the lane where we turn off Sad The first one was quite large, and the rest were different sizes. It looked as though when the first did'nt return, all the others in turn went to find out what had happened to the others. They were all killed within a short disatnce of each other just round a bend, so clearly drivers had no chance of avoiding them or stopping in what would have been a very dangerous place. Glad your hosting a meeting Lai, and its sad that numbers have dropped. I checked out if we had a local Badger group, and there's one for Clwyd, and Cheshire Borders so they may be in touch with your group Lai. They meet in Wrexham which is a bit far for us to travel to especialy if it's at night
WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:32 pm

WS that is just so sad about the Badger family, to have a whole family decimated is just awful but it does sound s if the drivers couldn't have seen them or stopped in time anyway but it still makes you Sad to know what happened.

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:52 am

Oh dear WS, that is very distressing. Sadly badgers have their routes and crossing points and stick to them. What a shame and very upsetting.

Our group covers Wirral and Cheshire which is a huge area, so we can only attend some things, and I'm the same about driving at night in the dark What a Face

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:32 pm

I looked at our group last night and you can offer yourself up for a few things, fund raising, letter writing, set watching, reporting etc. I need to think what I can do sensibly. I will join as a member and you can also be involved in rescuing but obviously I reckon you need training for that.
I am fine with driving in the dark, my problem is I have no sense of direction and rely on the sat nav but even that can send you off course sometimes and that puts me off but I will surely find out more and as I say see what I can commit too.

littlewid-x-

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 am

A good idea Littlewid. We were learning about rescuing etc but as they said there is a lot more to it and a lot more training would be needed, it was a start and to see how many people would be interested. I think there were only 4 rescues last year by the Chairman so not too many. More interesting is the sett surveying and stuff.

We are only just beginning this new venture (Pete as well) so at this stage have no idea how much commitment is needed Very Happy

Fantastic if you can be involved Littlewid cheers

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 am

If you want to know how your MP is voting on the proposed cull.

http://badger-killers.co.uk/list-of-mps/

Ours is sitting on the fence and has not stated, yet.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 pm

WARNING Although no Badgers were injured or hurt making this Video. It shows the reality of whats going to happen, and may upset some people. If you are easly upset please do'nt watch

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/badgers-petition#petition

WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks WS. I did watch it because it needs to be seen so people know what will happen.

The petition is another one to re-think the cull so essential everyone signs urgently.

Also share on Twitter and FB.

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 am

From Twitter yesterday

Simon King‏@TVsSimonKing14h
I will be sitting on the panel for the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Conservation and Wildlife on Wednesday 17 April.

A chance to argue the case against the Badger Cull to the House Of Commons on April 17th. Science, new and old, supports this view.

Let's hope some good news comes from this.

Also from HSI

http://www.hsi.org/world/united_kingdom/news/news/2013/03/badger_pilots_031913.html?utm_source=hsiem_uknews040213&utm_medium=email&utm_content=whatsnew&utm_campaign=badgers13

Lai
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 pm

I Agree Lai lets hope Simon, and the rest can make them see some sense, that they are flying in the face of all scientific advice. But they seem determined to ignore it no matter what. Also why would they need a back up area for a trial cull as the HSI report says, if one area is not suitable. Surely even they can see that for a cull to work, although we all know it wont, it must ba able to work in any area

WS

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum