Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rekero - News and Community

+2
Doogs
Laikipia
6 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Empty Re: Rekero - News and Community

Post  Laikipia Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks WS - just read my e-mail cheers

I like the idea of the 'Living with Lion's' project, a great idea, and should help with the id-ing problems that sometimes arise.

Doogs you'll have to help with that with some photos once you've been in June Very Happy

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 pm

That was a good read even thought sad for clawed. Thanks for posting that WS

Can you both not send photos from 2011 or is that to far?

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:29 pm

I usually get this by email but didn't this time scratch

How do they know that Golden Balls is the father of Olive's cubs again ??? ! :What: I asked Aatish how many she had had and they think there are two Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 71418 but not confirmed - hopefully he'll be able to do that for us when he gets there on Saturday.

Interesting that they speak of Romeo still being alive - I presume that is because of photos Jackson posted which then caused the big debate on FB as to whether it was him or not !!!

Great idea to monitor and ID the lions (not easy to do - unless it's Notch Laughing ). There are less and less lions about so I'm all for it. I would certainly like to add to their database with any decent pictures we take in June - good idea Lai Pai Wink

Doogs lion cub
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Latest Rekero Update
Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Wa56Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Wa157

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks WS

Didn't realise Rekero closed their camp for a while (makes sense though during the quiet times). I presume they close for a couple of months perhaps opening again in June - maybe Lai Pai will know ?
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:32 am

That's right Doogs, as it's in the Reserve they have to close and dismantle everything so it can return to nature for a while. It's a completely tented camp so relatively easy to do.

I think since Asilia have taken it over it only closes for one month, it used to be a bit longer and again I think they close for a month at the end of the year, they certainly used to.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Great update, but dont think I would want to know what is sneeking around camp in the dead of night!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for that Lai Pai
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Rekero Update
Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Wa332Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Wa422Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Wa517Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Wa615

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks WS. I had my email yesterday, but still can't post it on this thread Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Shocked What a Face Embarassed

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks WS - great shot of the lioness at the end Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Rekero10

Introducing: the Mara cheetahs
It has been a fantastic month for cheetah sightings in the Mara! Guides, guests and staff alike are very excited by this as only last year we thought ourselves very lucky to glimpse a cheetah.

Now we have Malaika and her cub who was born around April/May. It was thought she started with six cubs, but by June she only had two and then sadly in July she lost another one to a hyena. Another female - Narasha, with two cubs around 3-4 months old, is usually seen hanging out in the Olare Orok Conservancy so we are happy to have her around. Then there is another female near Look-out Hill with four cubs which are also around 3-4 months old. She is obviously a very smart mum as there are not that many other predators down there. Honey’s boys are still cruising around the region most of the time and are often seen near the camp. Then we have what the guides reckon as three of Shingu’s cubs - a coalition of three males (if you remember she had six cubs last year). And to top it off an unknown female is pregnant! It’s hard to keep up with them all. Now we are just hoping the mums can safely rear all their cubs and right now it is the best time with plenty of food around.

The Wildebeest are headed back in their thousands to Tanzania already. But we also have reports that huge herds have crossed into the Serengeti and are now crossing back into the Mara - typical wildebeest fashion. They have been particularly unpredictable this year - coming late (end July) and already heading back…

After the Kenyan weather department had predicted a mini El Nino for us the weather has been scorching without a cloud in the sky. We're all about ready to jump into the river with George the hippo! Luckily we had so much unseasonal rain in August and earlier in the month that there is still plenty of grass to go around for the Plains game and other grazers.

One of the highlights this month was the appearance of a Southern ground-hornbill! This funny looking bird - the largest of the hornbills - took up residence in camp near the deck. Every morning it wakes up the camp with a loud and reverberating booming call. Just one of the many reasons we count our blessings to be working out in the bush!

Our best Salaams,
Clea, Con, Mariana & the Rekero Team

Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Cheeta11
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks Doogs, how brilliant that the Cheetahs appear to be making a comebck after last year. Lets all hope these Cubs survive, the population could really do with it.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks Doogs. A lovely update as ever.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Habari10

Busy times at Naboisho!

October, in the Mara Naboisho Conservancy, was action packed with wonderful experiences, memories and adventures for each and every guest that visited Naboisho Camp. The hot, dry weather, with wildlife concentrating around water sources, and the arrival of so many new born babies towards the end of the month made for excellent wildlife viewing. Topi, hartebeest, impala, warthogs and gazelle all started to give birth during October, with jackal, spotted hyena, cheetah, lions and even martial eagles taking part in the rich and easy pickings, hunting at will and revelling in the times of plenty for the predators.

One particular sighting felt like a scene out of a documentary: a male and female leopard were trapped in a tree by a troop of baboons. The baboons mocked them with barks and mock charges, boldly going after them into the same tree! Concentrating on the leopard, the baboons did not notice the arrival of a young male and female lion – which then trapped the baboons in the tree with the two leopards! Needless to say, the baboons had some unplanned bowl movements… and went very quiet very quickly! To cap it all, a herd of elephants appeared on the scene, coming to check out all the commotion. Surely a highlight of the year! Talking about leopards, as you might have already seen on our Facebook page, Anita Mishra, one of our guests who stayed at the camp for five days, had 8 sightings of 6 different leopards! Truly remarkable, especially for a young conservancy!

Walking has been really exciting lately! We witnessed a breeding pair of martial eagles, feeding their young ones various kinds of prey. This magnificent, large and powerful eagle had us in awe as it soared above our heads each morning on the walks. Then there were the big cats. During one week we saw lions on foot every single day! Most of the time these were really nice, relaxed sightings, but some were slightly more hair raising encounters, featuring some growling to let us know that we kindly needed to go away… we obeyed. Some lucky guests also saw a male cheetah on a walk – relaxing in the shade of a wild date tree. We watched him rolling and grooming for almost 15 minutes, before leaving him in peace to enjoy the rest of his day.

Our new arrivals: two unknown adult male lions made their appearance close to camp, one of them a magnificent specimen with a big dark mane, see the picture below taken by our guide Wilson Mpooya. It is believed that they are from the Motorogi Conservancy and we are hoping that they won’t cause too much trouble during their visit… like when they walked straight through the middle of camp one night, roaring their lungs out!

The school that we are supporting, Ole Seri Primary School, will be benefiting from donations from our guests soon. After a meeting with the school headmaster, Mr. Robert Oyugo, they identified a need for extra school benches for the children. Naboisho Camp will order the material, and construction of the benches will start in the new month. We will keep you up to date on the project.

In the past month the new Mara Naboisho Conservancy website launched. Have a look at www.maranaboisho.com

The rains have started already. The bush is turning lovely green, and everything is fresh, clean and beautiful. Until next time!

Bush Regards,
Roelof, Helen & the Naboisho team

Follow us online: www.asiliaafrica.com/Naboisho | Facebook | TripAdvisor

Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 Lions12
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks Doogs, that was a lovely read, got my email but that has saved me reading it Very Happy they certainly have had a busy time with lots of wonderful sightings and I bet that must have been something else to see the leopards in the tree with the Baboons followed by the Lions then the Elephants, I bet the Leopards were glad when it was all over. I would have loved to have seen the Martial Eagles and their offspring. It makes me think of Lai and the wonderful time she must be having at the moment on her safari.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks Doogs I also got the email, but have'nt had time to read it with running the Pub. So it was great to see it here. What a wonderful experiene it must have been to see the Leopards followed by the Baboons, followed by the lions, and Elephants. I think if lions growled at me affraid I'd obey as well. Really stunning Lion the one with the dark mane in the photo.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:02 pm

I Agree WS, he has a lovely mane - reminds a wee bit on Notch I love you but not has handsome !!! :)
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:40 pm

June Update . . . .

http://gmtiny.com/eXGj6
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 768480  Doogs. It just makes me think we need to get back to the Mara before too long .............. Very Happy 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Doogs thanks for the update, I am very slack at reading these and it was sad to read that another one of Honeys boys has been killed leaving only one brother now, that must be so tough on him but also very sad to see them dwindling away. Sad 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 pm

Oh I think you should too Lai Wink 

I agree LW, I just wonder how the remaining brother will cope on his own after spending so much time with two then one of his brothers, it's very said Crying or Very sad  He is not that old, he will be 7 later this year (I'm sure the 3 boys were born around September 2006) so he's got a good few cheetah years ahead of him if he can stay out of trouble. Rekero - News and Community - Page 6 431638 surviving one, we all hope you stay safe, well and you're hunting skills are good so your tummy is always full
I love you 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:29 am

3 down to 1 - very sad indeed and how to learn to hunt on your own after such an amazing coalition. Fingers crossed for the last one of Honey's boys.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks Doogs I missed this one with my router being down. Thats really sad news about the brothers, I should think he will struggle now, as he's been so used to hunting in comany, and will have to change his stratergy. Good news on the Cheetah project though, hopefully numbers will increase even more
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Lets hope he can stay out of trouble Doogs and he manages to hunt as a solo cheetah. I am going to look on the positive side and say he had a fantastic mum who would have taught them well and with his brothers they would have had hunting strategies and that would have had to change when they went to two, so hopefully he will be ble to change to a solo strategy and do well on his own but I bet he will miss the company of his brother. I hope he finds a lady cheetah and has some little cubs and maybe another coalition will be started in all their memories.
Good luck fellow I love you 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next