Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 Cheetah Cubs

+5
littlewid
whitestarling
RMorr50912
Laikipia
Doogs
9 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

3 Cheetah Cubs - Page 3 Empty Re: 3 Cheetah Cubs

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:48 am

I can't find any petition info at the moment, but I have found the following contact info,
KWS Email Address kws@kws.go.ke
Ministry of Tourism Email:info@tourism.go.ke
I dont know if it would be any good contacting KWS except it would let them know the World is watching. I would think it would have more effect at the Ministry of Tourism, as no Country wants bad publicity, its a shame you have to think in that context, to try to help these 2 Cubs

WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks WS. I feel sure someone somewhere must have started some action against this. Preferably someone in Kenya. I wonder whether Mara Conservancy (was that where the cubs originated) or some organisation locally would be the people to take action.

The problem with us being here in the UK or Ronnie in the USA is that we have no knowledge of what can be done to highlight this effectively.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:37 pm

I think I'll try an email to Chui, he's in the area, and might be able to give us more information.
WS
Ps To think is to act, sent the following email to Chui
Hi Chui
Sorry to trouble you, but we have seen a video that shows disturbing treatment of the 2 surving Cheetah Cubs at the Orphanage. We wondered if you could throw any light on this, or if there are any moves to protest, or petition on behalf of the Cubs in Kenya. The video in question veiwing details are on the main page of the Forum if you have'nt seen it
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Well done WS, a good idea. What about Jackson he may have some news.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 am

I have emailed the Cheetah Conservation Fund with the details, and asked if they think the treatment these two are receiving is acceptable. Hopefully they will answer, if they do I'll let you all know
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks WS. I imagine anyone who sees that clip will not find it in any way acceptable. The issue will I suppose be how best to take action against the people involved. Can CCF get involved to put pressure on? We all are so helpless watching from here. KWS must be accountable to someone surely.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Well done on all your good work WS, I really really hope something good comes of your efforts.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  chui Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Dear Friends,

Frustrated! Angry! Pissed! Saddened! - what more need i say what more need i feel???!!!

Unfortunately, nothing much can be done at this stage except for cause uproars to KWS. These cubs were doomed from the moment they were removed from the Mara Triangle! KWS have lost vision and are clearly not capable it seems of looking after wildlife. This is total disregard of animal rights! I wish we had a stronger (with teeth) RSPCA style org here to whack their a****, our KSPCA is too weak and without powers! Only an uprising by lots of people could get KWS to look into this. Their rangers on the ground do such a good job putting their lives on the line but such incidents tarnish their name and put to zero the work some individuals do in the line of duty. I am very sure one of those cubs died due to negligence and mistreatment!

My blood boils GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
chui
chui

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Mmmm, not the reply we were hoping for Chui but appreciate you letting us know.

I think it is safe to say we all feel what you are feeling, frustrated, angry, pissed and saddened - this was a situation that could so very easily have been avoided and an innocent, precious cheetah cub has lost it's life through no fault of it's own but through the interference and negligence of man, it's disgusting.

It's just not right that KWS have lost their vision and have clearly shown the world that they are not capable of looking after wildlife, they are not fit to be called a 'Wildlife Service'. We can only hope that there is an uprising so something can be done to save the rest of the animals in that hell hole.

Doogs Crying or Very sad Sad

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 pm

I Agree Doogs. I have always respected KWS and some of the work they do. In some instances the rangers are truly amazing. Is this a case of one or two keepers at the orphanage? I sincerely hope KWS are made aware and action can be taken. It's frustrating not knowing who to get in touch with and who can take action. Those poor little cubs are living in hell and being abused. What about the other animals there are they suffering the same sort of abuse? It makes me sick to even think about it.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks for reply to my email Chui. I agree from recent news, that KWS does not seem to be filling its roll in a proper manner as we saw with how they dealt with the Lion problem near Nairobi, and from Safarimans, post on here about the Baby Elephant injured by a poachers trap.

This is the reply I have received from CCF to my email earlier today

Dear John:

Thanks for contacting us. Someone had already posted that clip of the Mara cubs on our Facebook page.

Please know that CCF does not support taking cheetah cheetahs of any age from the wild for reasons that are not man-made. However, once taken from the wild, a captive a cheetah deserves the best possible treatment.

The footage of the Mara cubs is much too short to give enough detail or context that would help us determine whether the cubs are indeed in any danger. As far as we know, the cubs are in now in transition from quarantine into a larger enclosure; the box would be where the cubs are kept at night. The keepers were evidently trying to move the cub into its night box, and holding the cub by the scruff and tail is not uncommon when handling cheetahs, as it is safe to both the cheetah and the handler. It has been suggested that cubs can be enticed by food, and this is absolutely true, but only if the cat is hungry.

The Mara cubs are a very important object lesson in the complexities of orphaned cheetah cubs and re-wilding. We have published our position on this very difficult issue, which you can find at
http://www.cheetah.org/?nd=maracubs_statement.
We truly hope you find it of interest.

With kind regards, and our thanks for checking.

Patricia
Patricia Tricorache
Cheetah Conservation Fund
www.cheetah.org
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks WS. I am going to read the CCF statement of the Mara cubs properly later.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 pm

WS you have done a stirling job here, sadly I don't think the reply from Chui or the CCF has been of much help so far. It's great that Chui replied and as Doogs says we echo his sentiments and feelings about these poor cubs. The CCF I think from that reply are sitting on the fence but I do need to read the link that was posted and then get back on here.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

3 Cheetah Cubs - Page 3 Empty 3 cheetah cubs

Post  cheetahlover Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:43 pm

It is heartbreaking to see an animal that shouldn't even be there treated like that. The cubs should never have been moved from the Mara Triangle. I suspect that the 'unfortunate' cub that died was in fact the lucky one. My heart and prayers go to the remaining 2,because heartbroken though it makes me feel, I suspect that is all I can realistically do. Crying or Very sad Mad Sad
cheetahlover
cheetahlover

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 pm

I suspect there are a lot of politics in play where CCF is concerned, the link does explain their views on what should happen to wild Cheetahs that have been orphaned or injured, and how they would handle different situations. The one plus thing I take from thier reply is that picking a Cub up by the tale is a recognised manouvre for handling them, having said that they should'nt have been in that situation in the first place. At least the more people that are aware of these two little Guys, the more pressure on KWS to treat them properly, as they will know they are under scrutiny. To that end I've emailed KWS and made my views known
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:55 pm

I'm not so sure that grabbing a cat by the tail and picking it up while someone else grabs it by the scruff of the neck as it's swung into a cage is really proper treatment. I can see one person grabbing the base of the tail and scruff of the neck at the same time as an acceptable way to control an animal. I've actually seen the vet do it, but never picked up entirely by the tail as is shown in the video. I think CCF has to be Politically Correct and is trying to not go against KWS. Like you said WS, the bottom line is the cubs should have never been put in this situation in the first place.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:31 am

Good point Ronnie, I've just re-read CCF's comments, and as you say, it says, neck, and tail, and thats how our Vet does it. I will try to contact Patrica at CCF again, and ask her about picking up by the tail only.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Scruff of the neck and tail together maybe, but tail only, I don't think so. I think if that is how KWS staff are taught, then perhaps they need some proper instruction.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 pm

As the tail is still part of the spine Im shocked they would lift by the tail alone! I have seen other experts/professionals lift by neck scruff and base of tail, but not this. Crying or Very sad

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:33 am

SM, and Lai, also to a Cheetah the tail really is a vital tool, as they shift it during the chase to aid their balance at high speed. I saw this video,it is a lot of footage we've all seen but also has commentary from Jackson. I think you will find it both intersting, and heartening. Jackson truly loves these animals, as if there was ever any doubt!

This honestly is as close as I've ever seen to angry from Jackson! That's saying something!

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:29 am

You are so right Ronnie, their tail is vital to them.

Thanks for the clip, very sad to watch again but good to see Jackson speaking his mind. I remember poor Mujiza well, we all helped with donations and a small pen was built. When we were in Nairobi we visited the orphanage but it was the most depressing place, none of the animals have large enough enclosures (cheetah and leopard) and Mujiza looked worse than depressed. If KWS insist on taking these poor animals they must look after them properly otherwise they may as well be dead.

We can only hope that people like Jackson are promoting their cause and although it is so unlikely these cheetah will now be released, their care may be improved.

I thought it was worth messaging Jackson via FB to see if he has any thoughts/advice on what we can do to put the pressure on being outside Kenya. If he replies I will let you know.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Had this reply from Jackson via FB

Dear Camilla,
Thank you for your email, and well come back to Kenya.
I would think you write direct to KWS on this issue as many as we can get from the rest of the world to put pressure on them the better its stealing of Mara Cheetah if every one will not get a fare chance to be rehabilitated in the mara.

Love

Jackson

I was hoping for more on who we could write to/email but at least Jackson know's we are all taking a keen interest.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 pm

Good that he replied Lai and it's obvious from that he doesn't think very highly of KWS No
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks for the video link Ronnie, its really good to know what Jackson thinks, and its clear he does'nt think much of KWS. We remember Mujiza well as Lai said raising money, and helping Jackson, in fact it was LW who named her. The one thing we all commented on at the time was the look in her eyes, we said she always looked wary, now I'm wondering if it was actualy because she was afraid. Thanks for contacting Jackson Lai, good idea, and as he's suggested lets all have a go at KWS
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chui Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:35 am

Hello,

You may try emailing on their general email- kws@kws.go.ke and cc to the director on director@kws.go.ke. Those on Facebook can post on their wall and Twitter @kwskenya. Honestly i don't even expect a reply but hey no harm trying. We have to be vocal!
chui
chui

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next