Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Parrot Poem

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

A Parrot Poem Empty A Parrot Poem

Post  gregrowlerson Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:47 am

A Parrot Poem 3525291757
A bird feeder was put out by my mum earlier this year
For a while it went unnoticed even though it was out in the clear
But a little while after we had some regular feathered friends
Firstly it was the red and blue ones, they started the trend

Word spread quickly throughout the nearby parrot population
And soon there were many colours giving us feelings of small elation
Some cockatoos also came, though my parents considered them unsavoury
I didn't mind, it just meant that our home had become even more of a bird aviary

My mum first filled the feeder every three days to provide the necessary nourishment
But the numbers are so grand now that this has become a daily requirement
And sometimes I'll break up some bread, put it out on the lawn
And this attracts the likes of magpies, crows and minors galore

I'm not much of a bird guy, but I've been enjoying the extra company
Just seeing a particular parrot can provide a sign of something metaphorically
My favourites are the big green ones, with a streak of orange on the inside
While my mum prefers the little green one, which seems to dominate with pride

We don't see it too often, but when we do the others all bugger off
The birds have all been timid around us, they fly away at the sound of a cough
Yet just last night my mum happened to notice something quite surprising
The little green bird was actually sitting out on our perch and sleeping

They've always previously returned to their nests at the close of the day
Dad reckons it's now making its bed here to get its breakfast without delay
When mum walked by it before our green friend did not even flinch
It seems to stand its ground in the vane of Derryn Hinch

And so I went out to investigate, just over an hour before
And I got so close that I could have maybe easily touched its claw
Yet it hardly moved a muscle, it felt as safe and content as good be
I smiled as it looked at me curiously, wondering if my shoulders could act as a tree

A Parrot Poem 3525291757

I was digging through my archives and found this poem, written 30/06/10. I had forgotten about it, and since I don't write much poetry, I'm glad I rediscovered it.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

A Parrot Poem Empty Re: A Parrot Poem

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your Poem with us GR. Thats really good I enjoyed it, and you've captured the scene so well, even down to when your Mum first put the feeders out, thats exactly what happens anywhere in the world with new feeders. Lovely how the little Green one seems to have adopted your Mums place as home
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 am

Thanks heaps for reading it WS. It means a lot.

The little green parrot was so cute! And it's colour was amazing. So bright! But what happened to it was a mystery. I had a couple of close encounters with it, and then we never saw it again (could have been my face lol! ). My guess is that it was old and passed away. Perhaps it was too tired to bother flying away, even with people close by.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:58 am

Nice GR A Parrot Poem 768480 As WS says, I think a lot of people could relate to that with the feeder and how one kind of bird visits and then another and then how they come every day and at the same time of day to feed. I love how you say, you enjoy the extra company, having the birds visit your garden is lovely but you do look forward to them coming and after a while you do recognise particular birds and in a way they do become regulars in your life.
I think you have turned what is a regular occurance in many gardens, into a special encounter, thats how I read it anyway Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Group Hug GR - I really enjoyed reading your poem, what talent you have cheers

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Thankyou so much Littlewid and Lai for the compliments. They make me Very Happy

I especially like the turning it into a special encounter viewpoint.

The speed with which word spread through the flocks about the food was amazing. I guess this just highlights survival instinct. Even more so for when I put bread on the lawn. It usually wouldn't take a little minor more than ten minutes to pounce. Many birds must have incredible eyesight, like dogs have great smell and hearing.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:40 pm

WOW GR that's such a lovely poem, very impressive WOW

Having birds like that on your feeder is pretty amazing and I think us people in the UK are a tad jealous that you can get the likes of parrots on your feeder. I do like birds but prefer four legged furry things but I must admit to see the likes of A Parrot Poem 3525291757, cockatoos & other brightly coloured birds on the feeder must be amazing Cool

Thanks for sharing that with us
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:47 am

Thanks heapsy for the kudos Doogs Very Happy

I tend to prefer the four legged creatures too, especially the one in my avatar!

I asked my mum the other day about their bird feeder, and they haven't been using it, so I can have it. Yay! I am not sure if there will be anywhere accessable outside around the ceiling/roof to hang it from though. Might need to hang a hook or something, and being a handyman is far from my strong suit lol!

I also did a test run this morning, placing bread on the grass, but none was taken when I came home at lunchtime, so it may not be easy to attract the feathered fliers. If they come though they will be worth the wait!

Oh, and it meant that Bella just scoffed down a lot of bread A Parrot Poem 40683
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 am

When I first put out our birdfeeders it took a week or so for the birds to use it GR. I think they have to get used to it being there and then check out whether it's safe or not. Now it's a scrum and a free for all, sometimes there's a queue to get to them Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:19 am

Too right Lai. A new area would be a cause for worry for any animal, especially small birds. Animals are great investigators; they will have to weigh up the pros and cons. Once the pros far exceed the cons - free food vs. almost zero threat to their safety - they shall flock. Well, I will think positively! I pick up the feeder tomorrow night, so I will get to try it out soon Very Happy

Another thingy though is that it is getting very warm now in Melbourne (38 degrees tomorrow affraid ) so perhaps they will be looking more for fluids than solids. But at least I can provide them with an option :)
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:22 am

Good idea GR. We still feed the birds throughout the year and always put out fresh water. When I put bits and pieces on the ground, like old cheese, rice, pasta and bread I have to watch that our 3 dogs don't go and help themselves!

Looking forward to hearing what happens once you get some visitors, and some photos Very Happy

Lai

ps that's HOT !!!
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 am

Nice to hear that my Bella is quite normal then; she loves her bread and pasta too! I wouldn't feed her cheese though lol!

I just realised that there probably aren't bread eating birds around here; they would be more seed eating ones. I notice some little sparrow types about, so they will have to be the ones that I try to entice :)

Yep, definitely have to start trying to take some photos!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:48 am

I find the bird food sold in the shops saying for a specific type of bird isn't always what that bird eats! To be honest they all seem to tuck in to all the feeders whether it's seed, fat balls, suet cakes, peanuts or nyger seed. Certainly the jackdaws, magpies, crows and jays are happy with anything as longs as it's edible!

I'm really envious you have sparrows, we don't in our garden and they are lovely little birds.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:52 am

Given my lack of bird knowledge, it's all the more reason for me to take and post some pics so that the experts can tell me what I am looking at A Parrot Poem 40683

I agree with you for sure that the crows will eat anything! They are the goat of birds!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Really looking forward to your photos. I love birds, and am learning about new ones all the time so bring it on and we'll try and ID them!

One of our local crows is known as 'headbanger bird' each day he leaps at the windows leaving muddy footprints all over them, I have no idea why and think he must have a severe headache by now What a Face

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I will be expecting Hawkeye, AKA Littlewid, to make some identifications Very Happy

I have heard of birds flying into windows. It has not happened at my new place, but at my parents house occasionally a bird would fly into glass. Still rare though, so I gather they learn from it after one time. So yes, your Mr Headbanger does sound quite strange!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Looking forward to seeing the photos GR, especially as they will be so different from ours here in the UK - for a start there may be an orangy / yellowy thing sunny in the background that isn't often in our photos Wink Laughing
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:25 pm

A Parrot Poem 40683

I call it a Mr Yellowy Thingy, and yes, out here in the land of oz, it makes a regular appearance sunny Very Happy

Perhaps in Britain this sunny is considered an endangered species lol!

Apparently going to be 38 degrees today! Oh me oh my. Bella and I shall have to keep our fluids up!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Doogs, I just noticed that you've made it to 6,000 posts!

Congratulations A Parrot Poem 71418 A Parrot Poem 853843
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 pm

I can assure you GR it is definitely an endangered species A Parrot Poem 40683

38 deg affraid - not jealous in the slightest No (she lied !) Yes you and gorgeous Bella stay cool and hydrated.

Good spot - I do go on and on and on and on and on . . . . . lol!
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 am

There really ought to be a save Mr Yellow British campaign me thinks Very Happy

I laughed at "she lied!" Though really there is no need to be jealous. This hot is good for doggy paddling in the ocean, standing IN water fountains...

But precious little else lol!

"Good spot" - so I should; I consider myself a leopard. Or at least a wannabe one Very Happy

I am really a rhino though, according to the find your inner animal game Sad A Parrot Poem 40683

From what I have seen, your posts are quality as well as quantity cheers
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:33 am

Doogs you've a way to go to catch me up, I never stop albino albino albino and am over 10,000 now. I may have to go silent for a while ....

Going to post a photo of 'headbanger bird' later or rather his muddy footprints all over the windows!

Definitely get those fluids in GR - just seen on Bondi Vet a poor dog who really suffered from the heat Sad

Lai

A Parrot Poem Headba10 this is on every window !!!! Laughing
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:59 pm

I think that headbanger bird might be like a human that does grafitti. His work is very artistic Laughing

Bella is strange with her water intake, in that she doesn't drink much. Even yesterday she had the tongue sticking out and all of that, and even sometimes I am pointing at the water, but no, Bella don't need it! She is very happy anyhoo now (well even extra extra happy to normal Very Happy ) as she is very much a summer dog rather than winter one. She loves sunny

Lai, this leopard in Tree will try to be there to spot your next milestone of your 11,000th post Very Happy

And the sooner you get there the better because your posts are great! I can't believe how addicted I am to this forum. After just one week! Yay!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:09 pm

I will NEVER catch up with you Lai Razz

Goof grief Lai those pictures are amazing affraid and that is one messy little bird !!! I remember that episode on Bondi Vet and have seen previous cases on the programme, its not nice to watch at all No

I must admit I like the sunny but I'm not sure I could live in it all year round No espeically a searing heat - each to their own of course. I would like if we could see a bit more of it in the UK though !!!

Bella is obviously accustomed to the heat which is why she doesn't need to drink as much as we would think she does. Would I be right in saying that you would have water readily available to her at all times GR ? If so, she'll know where it is and get it as and when she wants.

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 pm

For me Melbournes weather is pretty good. I am not a massive fan of searing heat, but we usually just get REALLY hot days in January and February (yesterdays scorcher was a bit out of the ordinary and the next week is scheduled for days in the 20's). In the winter it gets cold, but not too cold. And I've never been a snow bunny, so I don't mind that Melbourne doesn't have European like Alps for skiing and so forth.

Yep, Bella always has water at the ready for her. And I agree with what you say, that she just copes very well with the heat.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next