Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doog's Safari - Day 1

+2
whitestarling
Doogs
6 posters

Go down

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Empty Doog's Safari - Day 1

Post  Doogs Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:03 am

Tuesday 5th November 2013 - PM

We arrived from Nairobi mid-morning to the Olkiombo Airstrip in the Mara where Vincent picked us up, it was good to see him again.  The camp is literally 1 minute from the airstrip so not far to go.  After our welcome we were allocated our Family Tent, wow.   It was 3 different tents all joined together, one for mum & dad with a double bed, one in the middle with chairs/settees for lounging about and one for me which had 2 x single beds Very Happy  It was huge but perfect for our set up, we were together but I had my own space/privacy.  Lunch was at 12.30pm then we headed out on our first drive at 3.30pm.

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Day_1_10

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Day_1_11

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Day_1_13

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Day_1_14

This was our first time at the Mara in November and we were pleasantly surprised at the amount of zebra & wildebeest that were still about, it really was lovely to see.  Reading reports on our return it would appear that there was more of them than usual so we were very lucky.  On a daily basis I kept a note of what we saw when we were out over and above the frequently seen Thomson Gazelle, Impala, Zebra, Wildebeest, Topi with lots of young (this is the time of year for them), Hartebeest (again a lot with young), Eland and Warthog, which are in abundance throughout  the plains.

That afternoon we saw a family of elephants who were grazing both down at the water’s edge and also up on the plains they had a couple of little ones in the group.

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Day_1_18

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Day_1_15

Late in the afternoon we came across a couple of mating lions and another male who we believe belonged to the Ridge Pride, we came across these lions on a number of occasions throughout the week.  We stayed with lone male for a while and you can clearly see the difference in light between the two photos.  We were treated to him calling on the rest of his Pride, a male lion calling right in front of you is such a wonderful sound.

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Day_1_19

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Day_1_20
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Doog's Safari - Day 1 Empty Re: Doog's Safari - Day 1

Post  whitestarling Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:41 pm

WOW WOW Doogs that looks like a great setup no wonder you enjoyed it, and also your Mum & Dad, it's good that you were all together, but also had your own space's at the same time. Lovely to see the Elles with the little ones, and so quick after your arrival. Now the male Lion that's a big WOW for me, that must have been fantastic to just sit there, and hear him roaring. I still remember watching BCL at 1-00am in the morning, and there was a close up of a Male just roaring, and roaring, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and just looking at your photo did it again.
Thanks for putting that on Doogs, but do'nt stay up till gone midnight to do it, you'll be getting over tired

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:47 pm

WS it was totally amazing just sitting watch that boy calling out, it's a sound that goes right through you but in a lovely way Very Happy and yes it really does make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up Cool 

The time ran away with me last night . . . . promise I'll be earlier tonight Sleep 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Doog's Safari - Day 1 768480  wow Doogs your family tent looks very plush, they certainly give you style dont they and make you very comfortable, it all looks very inviting.
Brilliant that you saw so many animals and that they were there in abundance, you obviously arrived at the right time. That male lion is spectacular and I would love to hear a male lion roar in the wild and not just on tele, it must bea fantastic experience. One thing though, the side on picture of him, he looks as if he has a bump on his side, it looks like an old wound,is that the case do you know or is it just a bump on his skin?
Also seeing two lions mating WOW WOW wasnt it you who had seen lions mating before as well?
Sounds as if your first day was really animal packed and a great start to your safari.
Thanks so much for stopping up and posting but WS is right, dont stay up and tire yourself out Hugs 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 am

Pleased to see you have got started on your posts, it is always difficult to take the plunge and decide which photos to post particularly when you have taken so many. I am never sure which photos people might like and which they might not as all the photos are very special to you but not necessarily to others!!
The tent looks great, more and more camps seem to be developing family tents so that family can stay together especially if there are children who might be a little scared of the night sounds. As you say the Mara was teeming with game and the migration is still continuing even now. Lovely photos of the male roaring, they certainly make you sit up and take notice when they start.
Looking forward to the rest of your diary as and when you have time to post.

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:25 pm

http://i70.servimg.c   http://www.picgifs.c  Doogs, lovely to read about the start of your safari and to see your wonderful photos. Family tents are a great idea, strangely Pete and I shared with Ali once at Rekero and it was the same set up  Laughing 

I'm so pleased you've started ...........................  Very Happy  and really look forward to more.

Thanks for sharing.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Great to see that you've started your holiday postings Doogs. I will endeavour to do a proper catch up when I have time.

Elephant and lion pics are looking wonderfully crystal clear; dare I say that they're almost at a Safariman snappy level?  http://www.picgifs.c 

GR  leopard in Tree 
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down