Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing Cub

3 posters

Go down

Missing Cub Empty Missing Cub

Post  Doogs Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 pm

I thought this would be better to have a thread of it's own so there was a better chance everyone could see it.  Quite amazing story of the Marsh Pride lioness who 'lost' one of her cubs and the efforts by guides and KWS to reunite this little one with her mum and siblings.  

They say humans shouldn't interfere with nature but they get the big thumbs up from me for this one  cheers 

22nd January 2014

The drama continues for the lost lion cub, yesterday afternoon our guides spotted Lippy's lost cub up in the branches of a gardenia tree. This morning our guides went out with 4 national park rangers to try to find the cub to re-unite it with its mother Lippy but no sign of the cub, we will continue looking, so far the cub has proved to be a real survivor and we are keeping fingers crossed we can find the cub and the rangers can re-unite it with its mother.

25th January 2014

Yesterday afternoon members of the Kenyan Wildlife Service came down, and together with a car from Governors' we managed to track down the cub, gather it up in a blanket and take it back to its two siblings in a small forrest clearing near Il Moran Camp (Lippi was away hunting). As soon as we let it (we now know that she is a female) go though it bolted off in to the bushes and hid both from us and the other cubs. We waited until the sun was well and truly set but eventually decided that our presence wasn't going to be of anymore help. Leaving the clearing we headed back to camp hoping that by the time morning came the cubs would have found each other. As soon as the sun was up this morning we were off in search of the cubs and hopefully their mother. We returned to the spot we had left them the night before only to find it deserted. After plenty of searching in the surrounding bushes it became clear that the cubs had moved on, which meant that Lippi must have come to collect them. This was good news providing she had accepted the 3rd cub. A passing car told us he had just seen a Lioness with two cubs at the Northern edge of the Marsh...Refusing to believe she had left her newly returned cub behind we headed straight to the spot they'd been seen, only to find Lippi and two cubs lying by the Mara River trying to get warm in the morning sun. In stunned silence we passed the last safari car and started to look in to all the surrounding bushes - and there she was, head poking out of a bush eyeing all the other cars. As we watched she left the bush, and went to sit with the rest of her newly rediscovered family, sharing an affectionate moment with each of her siblings on the way. It was such a relief to see her and everyone down here is delighted that it's all worked out. A great deal of thanks are owed to everyone involved and we will continue to monitor the situation. A full story of this amazing event will be put up early next week.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.737225109623046.1073741945.127029937309236&type=1

Missing Cub 768480 Missing Cub 768480 Missing Cub 768480 Missing Cub 768480 Missing Cub 768480 Missing Cub 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Missing Cub Empty Re: Missing Cub

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks  Doogs. I followed that on FB, an amazing story and on occasion I really do think humans should interfere  Very Happy 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Missing Cub 768480  How fantastic is that Doogs and I quite agree that sometimes humans should interfere, this obviously was not a cub that had been rejected by it's mum, just a lost little cub and I think they did the right thing by reuniting her with her mum and siblings, heaven knows what would have happened to her out there on her own. Well done to all involved, that really is a great read and a comfort to know she is now back with her family.

Thanks so much for that Doogs.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Update from Governors Camp 28th January 2014 re the Cub

Settling Back in Well

We are happy to report that Lippy's missing cub is settling back well into family life. These photos were taken yesterday by Governors Camp guide Moses and show them all happily spending family time together.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.738783679467189.1073741948.127029937309236&type=1

Missing Cub 2224760601 Missing Cub 2224760601  Missing Cub 2224760601  Missing Cub 2224760601  Missing Cub 2224760601  Missing Cub 2224760601  Missing Cub 2224760601  Missing Cub 2224760601  Missing Cub 2224760601
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 pm

http://i70.servimg.c  Brilliant news, thanks for that Doogs.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Such beautiful pictures and wonderful news Doogs........that really has cheered me up this evening, so a massive thanks for that  Hugs  it really does make you feel good to know they are all together and happy  Missing Cub 853843 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Full story on Governors Camp website of little Akili being separated for 9, yes 9 days from Lippy and her siblings before being reunited.  Great read - I think this little cub has used up a few of her 9 lives !!  Very Happy 

http://www.governorscamp.com/blog/amazing-story-survival

Also a feature in Africa Geographic: http://blog.africageographic.com/africa-geographic-blog/wildlife/wildlife-and-nature/the-brave-little-lion-cub/

Last edited by Doogs on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Lovely picture from Governors Camp FB Page - Wednesday 29th January 2014

Missing Cub Cub_li10

"Lippys little cub that was lost cuddles her brother - Photo courtesy of Patrick Reynolds"

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down