Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my not so secret garden

5 posters

Go down

my not so secret garden Empty my not so secret garden

Post  Guest Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:13 pm

hello boys and girls
i have recently decided to revamp my garden and make it more wildlife friendly rather than having a garden full of weeds

So the last few weekends i roped the whole of my family into a bit of D I Y gardening.
We cleared weeds dug borders and trimmed back over trees.

My first task was to set up my bird table and feeders so i can attract the local birds.
The table and feeders have only been up and running since saturday and is attracting a large varity of birds but i had a very big surprise.
Three little baby squirrels who live in a oak tree behind my garden have now decided that they can pop into my garden for breakfast lunch and dinner and while i dont mind them comming into my garden my poor nut feeder is taking a bit of a bashing
Me thinks im going to have to invest in a squirrell proof nut feeder

ps the pics arnt very good as i have taken them through my living room window

my not so secret garden Gedc0214

my not so secret garden Gedc0216my not so secret garden Gedc0217my not so secret garden Gedc0218my not so secret garden Gedc0219

Back to top Go down

my not so secret garden Empty Re: my not so secret garden

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I think your right about getting new Nut Feeders, they are going to chew through them in no time. I've been having the same problem, with Squidgy & Squashy. They are in Our Bird Feeders on this link
https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t383p480-our-feeding-stations#17254

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:52 pm

They really are having a good old go at your nuts aren't they staffslass, I bet they think it's the best restaurant in town. Pictures through glass are always hard but I think they are wonderful and you really have captured that those squirrels were definiately going to make the most of that feed Very Happy they looked really determined. Squirrel

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Well done you Staffslass with sorting the garden out, bet you are delighted with it now that you've got rid of all those weeds and it's now so much tidier my not so secret garden 853843 You're hard work is also being rewarded with a variety of birds and those very cute Squirrel

Thanks for sharing cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:37 am

Looks like you got really close to the Squirrel Staffslass! We have a squirrel in the park at the back of us, but this years top creature in our garden are a mating pair of Greater Spotted Woodpeckers. They are really fast though, you realise what they are and then they are gone.

Keep us uptodate with any new arrivals!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 pm

well the nut feeders have lasted a hole week of squrriel bashing Laughing but the way they are going it wont be long before they get throught the mesh so im going to have to get squrriel proof feeder
Also the amount of nuts there getting through is madness twice this week ive had to fill the feeder greedy little so and so's lol

the idea of garden clearing was to make it more wildlife friendly and for somewhere for me to hide, but i dont have the green fingers, so it would have to be easy to grow
It would have to be dog proof as my pair have a habbit of either eating it, digging it up, or peeing all over it.
And it would have to be a on a very tight budget.

so if anybody have any ideas i would love to hear them

toddles xxxx

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Hmmmmm will have to have a think about that one Staffslass or Toddles scratch my not so secret garden 40683 , but I think the first thing to do is concentrate on, an area for yourself to sit in comfortably. Most of the wildlife organisations say that its better for wildlife if your garden is not tidy as regards weeds, and plants, because nature tends to grow the sort of plants that wildlife needs on its own without interference from us, its just that its nice for us to be in a garden with lots of nice flowers. Will look for some links, and see what comes up. Here's a couple of links that might help. I know other members have gardens, and Dogs they might have some ideas
http://www.cheshirewildlifetrust.co.uk/garden_awards.htm
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/wildlifegarden/
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:20 am

Will also think about that Staffslass but we've had to get squirrel proof feeders for the trees, not for the squirrels but to stop the biggers birds. Fortunately our two dogs keep the squirrels out of the garden!

Just looked at the links WS - thanks they are helpful.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:31 am

Mmmmmmm always a task when planning the garden staffslass. My garden is not huge by any means and it is all paved as its easier with Nero my dog. I do have a border that is pebbled and I have tubs on there so the insects and bees can enjoy them. There is also a bush that has red berries on it, I don't like it but the wildlife does so i have left it. My neighbours Wisteria also grows along the fence and it does get rather wild (although my nephew has just trimmed it up) but we have agreed that neither of us will cut it right back, every year the birds nest in there, last year it was starlings and this year it was Blue Tits, the bees also love the pollen from the flowers. I also have a water feature that is made out of old railway sleepers and the top is covered with mess and then covered with coloured slate pieces so no bird can fall into it and drown, they stand in there and drink the water that is running from the balls, so they have a constant water supply. I also have a bird feeding house and a bird feeder that gets visited on a regular basis now. I have just got rid of all my old garden furniture and am getting new, there is plenty of room for me to have my table and chairs and bench to relax in but plenty for the wildlife to enjoy and I can sit away from them on the other side of the garden so not to disturb them.
As I said, my garden is not huge and I don't have time to do major gardening either (hence my nephew recently coming and sorting all the tyding for me) but the little bits I do have for the wildlife are certainly enjoyed by them all and me.

Good luck with all your planning and doing and let us know how it all goes.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:36 am

My garden isnt huge but because im a end house i have a little more than my neighbours.
Most of the garden is paved because of the dogs
I have three big borders than run the lenth and some of the width of the garden and a large patch of bare soil at the back of the garden.
None of the boreders have plants in them the only things i have got are a yucca that we took out of a large pot last year and planted at the top of the garden, a cherry tree in the middle of the garden that fuits every year and the birds love them, a lonely ice plant that my mother gave me a few years ago, and the fences are covered with ivy which i love and so do the birds
I have my bird table which always has birds visiting it and i have feeders dotted about the garden well out the reach of the dogs
I will be getting a bird bath soon so at least the birds can bath and drink
As i have said before im no percy thrower so what ever i do have to be dog proof, staffslass proof lol and on a budget
Theres no rush but the trouble with me is im inpatient and when i get an idea in my head i like it to be done like they used to do in "ground force" done in a day
But yes i will keep you all informed and post pics

TTFN xxxxx

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:42 pm

A few thoughts Staffslass.

As you've got three beds you've got lots of scope for sunny and shady loving plants. We've got a little book called the RHS Good Plant Guide that list 2000 plants and gives a list of plants for a variety of purposes, different sites and plants for bees and butterflies and plants to attract garden birds.

We've a raised bed that has a plant called Anise Hyssop or Agastache that the bees absolute love. It's taking over so can't be difficult to grow (definitely no green fingers here) http://www.herbcompanion.com/Herb-Profiles/ANISE-HYSSOP.aspx

I've just found this link 'Plant lists for bees' which might help http://www.englishplants.co.uk/bees.html and http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/organic_bees1.shtml

For the butterflies we have the shrubs Buddleia, Lavender and Rosemary and some perennials verbena (very easy) and some cowslip and some big daisies. Another link that might help http://www.gardenseeker.com/best_ten/attracting_butterflies.htm

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/downloads/48/gardening.html

Lai flower

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down