Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo

+2
whitestarling
Doogs
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo Empty Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Edinburgh Zoo preparing for the arrival of it's Dancing Panda

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14447715
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo Empty Re: Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:06 am

Lets hope everything goes well for the arrival of Tian Tian and Yang Guang, and that they breed successfully, it looks as though they are doing everything they can to make the enclosure Panda friendly
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 pm

I Agree WS -

Thanks for the link Doogs. Looks like the pandas should be well cared for.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Might even pay a visit to the Zoo, first time in a long time, when the Dancing Panda do arrive. Looks like they are going to have a pretty amazing enclosure and they will be a wonderful tourist attraction :)
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Good idea Doogs.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:20 pm

That is really exciting Doogs and it's going to be amazing to get to see them so close through the glass.
The enclosure sounds like a mansion for them both, a lot of thought and effort has obviously gone into it.
If you do manage to get to see them, what an experience that will be.......better start practising taking photo's through glass Very Happy
Thanks for the link Doogs.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 pm

I hope they arrive in time for the Zoo's sake, after that outlay of money. Glad I'm not paying the food bill lol!
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Not sure whats going on with that first link Doogs but i've tried it 3 times and it takes a bit to load and then keeps closing down my explorer, so I will try and have a look again later.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Maybe 'cause it's a Scottish newspaper link but it shouldn't make any difference scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Well I'll be blowed, it did it again Doogs. I don't think it's your link or being scottish.....I love the Scottish Very Happy I think it's obviosly my PC.

Just read te second link and thats a lot of money to feed the pandas and Will Travers is not too happy about it is he but if having the Pandas at Edinburgh helps the breeding programme and also brings revenue into the zoo for all the animals then I suppose you cant really complain.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:00 pm

It opens OK, on the laptop, I'm using, so there must be something blocking ot on yours LW
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Dancing Panda The Pandas Are Coming! UK Arrival Date for Giant Pandas Officially Confirmed as Sunday December 4, 2011. Following months of global anticipation and excitement, the arrival date for Scotland’s first pair of breeding giant pandas has been confirmed as December 4, 2011.

Tian Tian and Yang Guang are set to arrive in Edinburgh Zoo from the Giant Panda Conservation and Research Centre in Sichuan Province, China. The announcement follows a successful visit to Scotland’s capital in October by the China Wildlife Conservation Association (CWCA), an organisation dedicated to giant panda conservation since 1983, which has now given the final go-ahead for the pandas’ 10-year residence in Scotland. The CWCA confirmed the date following a rigorous assessment of the giant pandas’ enclosure at Edinburgh Zoo, together with plans for the animals’ care during the 10 years of the project. FedEx Express has donated its services for the transportation of the giant pandas.The UK public will have to wait a little longer, however, to catch the first glimpse of the new arrivals. Following a two week ‘settling-in’ period in their new enclosure, the giant pandas will be available for public viewing. Tickets will need to be pre-booked and all details of public viewing arrangements will be published on Edinburgh Zoo’s website. There will be no extra charge for viewing the pandas.Born in 2003, Tian Tian (meaning ‘sweetie’) and Yang Guang (‘sunshine’) will be under custodianship of the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS), owners of Edinburgh Zoo and a world leader in animal conservation, research and education. The giant pandas’ arrival represents the culmination of five years of political and diplomatic negotiation at the highest level, spearheaded by the RZSS. Hugh Roberts, Chief Executive of Edinburgh Zoo, said: “We have been looking forward to this moment for five years now, since we first embarked on this epic journey to bring the giant pandas to Scotland.“The arrival of Tian Tian and Yang Guang is an historic occasion for the Zoo, for Scotland, and for the UK as a whole. Our dedicated team at the Zoo has worked tirelessly to create a world-class enclosure to house our newest additions which will offer visitors a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to view these extraordinary animals. “The giant pandas will be on loan to us for an initial period of 10 years, in which time we are hopeful that the female, Tian Tian, will give birth to cubs – the first to be born in Scotland.”With the arrival of the giant pandas to Edinburgh, the RZSS has cemented its role in the future research and conservation of one of the world’s most endangered species. Hugh Roberts added: “This is the beginning of a long-term partnership which will drive a programme of international research which will have massive benefits for the Zoo, Scotland and the UK – both in supporting giant panda conservation and in enhancing our programmes in education, science and conservation.“It is also ahighly visible statement of the growing momentum to improve international relations between the UK and China, and a sign that we can further co-operate closely on a broad range of environmental and cultural issues, as well as commerce.”Dr Chunlin Zang, the secretary general of the CWCA added: “We are happy to finally confirm the arrival date for the giant pandas to arrive at Edinburgh Zoo. From the very start, the CWCA has been working in partnership with the RZSS. With this historic arrival of Tian Tian and Yang Guang, our collaboration has entered a new stage. Together, we are looking forward to playing an important role in future giant panda research and conservation.” The arrival of the giant pandas to Edinburgh Zoo has been widely greeted as a symbol of the closer partnership between China and the UK. His Excellency Mr Liu Xiaoming, Ambassador of China to the UK said: “Tian Tian and Yang Guang’s arrival in the UK is part of a 10-year joint research programme to find out how human-bred pandas can survive in the wild. At its core, the project represents the growing scientific ties between China and Britain. “But this is about much more than conservation. It is also about science, culture, education and above all friendship and partnership. Through these themes we expect pandas to bring China and Britain even closer together. Knowing pandas also means understanding more about their home country of China. This opens the way for people across Britain to explore the Chinese traditions, people, its society and economy. More importantly, this is an excellent window into grasping China’s commitment to peaceful development, desire for cooperation and quest for harmony with the world.”FedEx Express, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp, is donating its logistical services to transport the giant pandas from China to Scotland. The Pandas will travel onboard a FedEx Express Boeing 777 Freighter in custom Panda livery – known as the “FedEx Panda Express”. The Boeing 777F is one of the world’s most modern and fuel efficient freighter aircraft. The aircraft’s long-range capability will allow the Pandas to fly non-stop to their new home in Edinburgh, ensuring that they will spend the minimum possible amount of time in the air.The Giant Panda project will be funded entirely from charitable donations from the RZSS and through sponsorship, offering unparalleled opportunities in terms of international corporate, commercial and diplomatic relationships between China and the UK.The RZSS, a registered charity, worked in close partnership with the UK, Chinese and Scottish Governments, the CWCA and the China Conservation and Research Centre for the Giant Panda in Sichuan Province – the first organisation to artificially breed giant pandas – to facilitate this project and provide mutual and ongoing support throughout its 10-year lifespan. For more information on the giant pandas at Edinburgh Zoo, including pre-booking arrangements, visit http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/ Dancing Panda
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks for that Doogs - one to keep an eye on Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo 71418 I wonder if Edinburgh zoo will do a web cam?

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Dancing Panda I hope they do LP. I believe they are going to be in separate enclosures for a wee while before being put together in the same space. Even then I'm not sure if that will be permanent as it may be only to get the female pregnant. Female panda's are only in season for a very short period of time in any year so not sure if/when she gets pregnant they will put the male back to his own enclosure scratch

I also read that if any babies are born they will only remain in Edinburgh for up to a year before being moved to China Crying or Very sad Dancing Panda
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Just found this on the net Doogs. Shouldn't really be on the net or here at work but felt like being naughty today Very Happy

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/sweetie-sunshine-prepare-life-uk-110221535.html

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:14 pm

:tmi: if you're feeling naughty LW Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo 40683
Thanks for the link, Sunshine and Sweetie are very cute names I love you Dancing Panda

I think a trip to the zoo for the first time in a long time may be in order Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Great idea Doogs - please remember to take your camera lol! Dancing Panda

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Dancing Panda Will do LP Wink Dancing Panda
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:35 am

littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:51 am

Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo 71418 Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo 71418 thanks for the link Littlewid.

Poor things with their jet lag!

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Dancing Panda Yeah, they are here in Bonnie Scotland Panda's at Edinburgh Zoo 768480 Welcome Sweetie and Sunshine Dancing Panda

Bless them being a bit jet lagged, so would I be though. Hopefully it won't be too long until they are back to their ownselves.

Looking forward to the Panda Cams Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Pandas get their first visitors at edinburgh Zoo. There is a lovely little video of them as well as a little write up.
Think you may have trouble getting to see them Doogs, I think they are very popular.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8961359/Giant-Pandas-receive-first-visitors-at-Edinburgh-zoo.html

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks for that link LW, great to see them Dancing Panda

They are going to be such a 'pull' for the Zoo, it's great Dancing Panda
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:05 pm

No worries Doogs. Everyone that wa speaking at the zoo was so excited weren't they. I am sure they are going to be a massive pull for the zoo and it will not only be good for the Panda's but all the other animals as well with all the revenue that will come in.
Hopefully you will get to see them in the new year Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next