Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What species visit your garden feeders.

+3
Doogs
whitestarling
Paul Scoullar
7 posters

Go down

What species visit your garden feeders. Empty What species visit your garden feeders.

Post  Paul Scoullar Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Since I have been feeding in my garden I have had the following;

House Sparrow upto 40 regularly
Starling
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Grey Wagtail
Wren
Blackbird
Magpie
Crow
I live close to farmland and a brook runs around perimeter of estate. Very sparse on trees due to estate being pedestian footpaths with a perimeter road.
Paul Scoullar
Paul Scoullar

http://www.nature-view.co.uk

Back to top Go down

What species visit your garden feeders. Empty Re: What species visit your garden feeders.

Post  whitestarling Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Paul
A lot of mine are on this link in the Forum,
https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t621-meet-ws-s-birds
plus some of our members did the Big Garden Bird Watch, I will put the link on here

This was our Big Garden Count

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t683p15-the-big-garden-bird-watch
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

What species visit your garden feeders. Empty Re: What species visit your garden feeders.

Post  Doogs Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:42 am

That's some array of birds Paul, nice one Wink

Where do you stay, what area ?
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

What species visit your garden feeders. Empty Re Location

Post  Paul Scoullar Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:01 am

I live on the outskirts of Liverpool. I am only 50 metres from arable farmland and pasture land .I have set up a second feeding station which I use for my photography.This produces a even larger array of species .Now that the winter passerines are starting to arrive in large flocks they will boost my sightings even futher. Due to the abundance of food this also makes the prey species arrive on a regular basis.
Paul Scoullar
Paul Scoullar

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:03 am

Excellent - some photos on here will never go amiss, you must have some really good ones :)
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:59 pm

That sounds a wonderful array of species you have visiting your feeder Paul. A lot of us on here feed the birds and really enjoy seeing them visiting our gardens and taking photo's of them. We are all from different parts of the country so there is a variety of birds. Some have had regular feeders like PPH and Lai has regulars and a wide variety and WS has a feeder thats like a constant cafe and he has posted some lovely videos as well, he will give you the links i'm sure.
Sounds as though photography is your thing so hopefully you will share some of your photo's with us.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Nice list Paul!

This is my list from the Bird Watch thread:

2 Blackbirds
2 Blue Tits
4 Dunnocks
4 Great Tits
4 House Sparrows
1 Robin
21 Starlings
1 Woodpigeon
1 Great Spotted Woodpecker

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:17 pm

My feeders are less than a metre from the window,hiding behind the porch out of the wind.Living at the coast the feeders can get blown off in the winter storms.What I'm leading up to is my visitors to the garden are great,but actually on the feeder,not so great.Siskin and Tree Sparrow are two that stick out from last winter.
In the garden,we've had Merlin,Sparrowhawk and Buzzard after the birds on the feeder I guess,though the Buzzard was probably looking for some food scraps or a worm.
Gulls also visit along with Crows,Rooks,Jackdaws and winter migrants like Fieldfare.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:21 am

We've a regular selection of visitors to our feeders as Littlewid said. Most unusual was yesterday morning, the buzzard was sitting in the apple tree where one of the feeders is - okay so he wasn't visiting the feeder but he's never been that close before!

Mostly we have
Great tits
Blue tits
Coal tits
Long tailed tits
Gold finch
Green finch
Greater spotted woodpecker
Chaffinch
Collared dove

and the usual jackdaw, jay, crow, magpie

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

What species visit your garden feeders. Empty Buzzard at feeding station

Post  Paul Scoullar Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 am

I often get Buzzards at my Hedgerow feeding station. Because I study my target species to photograph I put a lot of time in without the camera. I have noticed that a group of three Buzzards have been visiting the site. To my surprise they have been hunting prey in a variety of ways.
Two of the group have been running a long a dried out drainage ditch while the third as been atacking Wood Pigeon and Corvids from above.I have discussed these tactics with other photographers as this tactic is usually associated with Harris Hawks. I often see the Buzzards doing this when the flocks of Wood Pigeon are on stubble fields. I know that Buzzards are normally quite a lazy bird and are often seen becoming so fat on worms that they cannot fly. But during cold spells they would need to build up fat reserves with a plump pigeon or corvid. They do attack Grey Squirrels but the success rate does not appear bto be good.
Paul Scoullar
Paul Scoullar

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Mostly our buzzards are quite lazy, often to be found eating worms etc when the grass has been cut. I'll watch them more closely now. Earlier this year we also had a juvenile Sparrowhawk who used to sit in the apple tree doing nothing. We always thought he'd try for some of the small birds on the feeder but he just sat in the tree doing nothing.

Thanks for the tip about the buzzards Paul.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Although I live in a fairly semi rural area I have yet to see a Buzzard, it may be that I am not looking hard enough so it would be nice to see a photo if you have any Paul.
Interesting how they hunt out their prey though. We have a Harris Hawk at the hospital I work at, he is flown early in the mornings to keep the seagulls away and to stop them nesting in the roof of the hospital. We are on the coast so get an awful lot of them. He is a wonderful bird and I had the pleasure of meeting him, he was so soft to the touch.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:56 pm

We have quite a few Buzzards near us, we have often had them flying in front of us in the lanes round here. Once Mrs S on her way home had one fly for about 1/2 a Mile just in front of the car. But sadly no photos.
I did get one of a Male Sparrow Hawke just outside the kitchen window though that had just taken a bird from the feeders

What species visit your garden feeders. 00813

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

What species visit your garden feeders. Empty Re Photographs

Post  Paul Scoullar Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:59 pm

I will post some after the seven day rule as elapsed.
Paul Scoullar
Paul Scoullar

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Paul says when he try's to upload a Pic. A notice comes up saying you cant untill 7 Days after joing anyone else experienced that

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:01 pm

In response to Paul and the 7 day rule for posting pictures, it will be wonderful to see your pictures when you are able to post them, I for one am really looking forward to seeing them.

The 7 day rule was put in place when we had so many people joining that had no intention of taking part in the forum, it was being used as a means to leave external links to other sites. Members are asked on joining to post a hello and to also join in the forum discussions and if this is not respected then members will be deleted.
Along with this, we can set a rule that external links and emails will not be accepted by new members until 7 days have elapsed. I can only presume that when the host site was set up, the hosts saw posting pictures as external links and therefore as we have the 7 day rule for external links, pictures also fall into that category, as the host sees them as external links.
For the time being we are not going to change our 7 day rule as we do have to protect WAA and it's members as Admins, we do however apologise for the inconvenience it causes new members that are genuine members and wish to share their photo's with the other members.

I hope this explains why Paul hasn't been able to post his photo's, but we do look forward to seeing them and enjoying more chat from Paul.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

What species visit your garden feeders. Empty Today at the Hedgerow feeders

Post  Paul Scoullar Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Image hosted by servimg.com[b]
Captured Blue tit earlier today at feeders.National Grid have coppiced a Oak Tree down to virtually the trunk on one side.
Image hosted by servimg.com
This is one of the Buzzards that regularly visits the Oak.
Paul Scoullar
Paul Scoullar

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:21 pm

WOW Brilliant photos Paul. Love that Buzzard shot. We have Buzzards here in North Wales, but I've never been able to get close enough to get a shot of one. The Oak seems a great natural place to photograph Birds
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Blue Tits are gorgeous little birds and thats a lovely photograph. I also really like the buzzard photo. Is that just as you took it or has it been tweeked? I only ask as it's such a lovely capture.

If you have a passion for birds of prey, you should check out the Birds of Prey thread and look at SM's " My Shuttlleworth Day", it's on page 2 of that thread, she has also taken some wonderful photo's of birds of prey.

Thanks for posting them Paul, if you have more we would love to see them.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

What species visit your garden feeders. Empty Re Buzzard capture .

Post  Paul Scoullar Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:31 am

This is exactly how it is in camera. It is to close for 500mm Lens and the dappled light is the leaves changing colour.
Thanks for your comments always appreciated.

Paul
Paul Scoullar
Paul Scoullar

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks Paul. I think the leaves in the background set a wonderful backdrop for showing off the colour of the Buzzards feathers. it's a stunning photo.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:29 am

WOW beautiful photos Paul

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 am

Paul the photos are stunning. The golden light on the buzzard is amazing.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum