Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lily in a den!

+2
Laikipia
Safari Maiden
6 posters

Go down

Lily in a den! Empty Lily in a den!

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:36 am

Extract from Bearstudy.org

Lily’s in a den!
Sometime after 9:34 AM today, Lily and Faith moved nearly 2 miles from their ‘safe haven’ in the balsam thicket back to the same rock den they were in on Oct 3. They had also visited this den briefly on Oct 15 and 16 just before heading for their ‘safe haven.’

Lily & Faith in rock den - October 20, 2011A slight northward movement in Lily’s GPS readings caught my attention this morning. There was one more reading from the same area—then nothing. I waited 3 hours before heading out to see if her collar was spun around. I checked for her radio signal at 12:54 PM and found Lily had left the area. Her signal was to the southeast and she was still moving. I drove various logging roads to monitor her progress remotely. Still no GPS readings, but I suspected she was heading for the rock den.

At 3:06 PM I found Lily and Faith in the rock den. Lily’s collar was spun around which explained the lack of GPS readings. She had gone into ‘stealth mode’ before heading for the den. Both Lily and Faith seemed relaxed and tired so I snapped a few pics of them in the den and left. This could be it. No bedding yet, but one bear we monitored rested in her den for a week before coming out to rake in bedding. Hopefully she will spin her collar back around so we will know if/when she comes out to rake.

MEA Conference volunteers - Oct 20, 2011The word we hear is that there was standing room only for this morning’s “Let’s Talk Scat” presentation by Lynn Rogers and Dana Coleman at the MEA conference—and a line out the door! Interest was high among teachers looking to incorporate black bears studies into their classroom curriculum. Special thanks to the many Lily fans who volunteered to help man the busy NABC/WRI booth throughout the day!

Another video from yesterday has been posted at
http://w>ww.youtube.com/watch?v=1ho0gnmDuOc

It shows how intently Lily was sniffing her surroundings. It also shows her suddenly bolting a couple of times. This is not unusual behavior for bears at this time of year—0 to 60 with no warning. Go figure.

Thank you for all you do.
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Lily in a den! Empty Re: Lily in a den!

Post  Laikipia Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks for the update SM - I'm looking forward to following Lily and Faith again.

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks for the update SM, it's good to know they are denning and are safe. Like Lai i'm looking forward to following Lily and Faith. I wonder if they will set up a den cam?
Tried the link but it didn't work for me confused

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:11 pm

I hope ( Sad ) they set up den cam a to, it will be interesting to see how different it is this winter compared to last winter.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:58 pm

a den cam would be great, and good that they are settling in for the winter.
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:34 pm

I agree that would be really good. Just watched the Hope Faith video, and it says that Lilys bond with Faith has increased since Hope has gone
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down