Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Western Black Rhino declared extinct

5 posters

Go down

Western Black Rhino declared extinct Empty Western Black Rhino declared extinct

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 am

So sad, cant say much more than that!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15663982
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Western Black Rhino declared extinct Empty Re: Western Black Rhino declared extinct

Post  Laikipia Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:29 pm

What a tragedy, so much poaching and another species has gone.

Thanks for posting SM.

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Western Black Rhino declared extinct Empty Re: Western Black Rhino declared extinct

Post  littlewid Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:38 pm

That really is so very sad. Not only htat they have been declared extinct but also because those poor Rhino would have suffered horrible deaths.

As much as some don't agree with Zoos it is often the only place we will see some of these animals. Not ideal I do understand and also that they should be in the wild. Also it's another support for some of the breeding programmes that are in process. I wonder if it wasn't for the good zoos and the breeding programmes most of the worlds animals would become extinct.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:10 pm

I Agree LW with you statement about zoo's. I is a pity to say that it may come to this eventually.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 pm

I also agree with you LW about the zoo's. There are some that are better than others when it comes to breeding but I'm just not sure if they all have the same goal by breeding. Are they doing it to try and put the animals back to the wild, especially if they are an endangered species ??
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 pm

It is very hard to call isn't it. I am sure there were and still are, zoos that breed under the pretence of saving endangered species to place back in the wild and also to increase the gene pool for species that are nearing extinction. However, the laws have changed and I believe their are strict guidelines for breeding in captivity today and I am sure there are stringent checks on zoos. Most are reputable and are working within conservation guidelines but there will always be the ones that aren't but I suppose the question is do we stop captive breeding for the sake of the few that flaunt the rules and then risk having many species wiped out all together.
It is just so sad that any animal has to be bred in captivity as some will never return to the wild, it will only be the second or third generation of that line that will return to the wild.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm

I saw this on the BBC. Its a terrible thing, and as we know from recent posts on here, its happening alot all around Africa. I think breeding centres may be the only answer, and not only for the Rhino, for other species as well. The problem is the animals welfare, but these Zoos also have to make enough money to support the breeding prgrammes so they have to have visitors. As long as there are the appropiate checks, its at least away forward
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:01 pm

I see where you are coming from WS. It is a vicious circle isnt it.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum