Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reds Vs Greys

4 posters

Go down

Reds Vs Greys Empty Reds Vs Greys

Post  littlewid Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:28 pm

This is an interesting article. At first I thought the Reds were fighting back but it's through human intervention they are doing so well, which is good news for our native squirrel.
I do find it sad that the greys are being killed, even though it is humanly so I was gladened to read they are looking at grey contraception and a vaccine against the grey squirrel pox.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8892119/The-future-is-less-grey-as-red-squirrels-battle-their-big-bullying-cousins.html

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Reds Vs Greys Empty Re: Reds Vs Greys

Post  tigerburnie Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:04 pm

I fear for the natives,everything is stacked against them and evolution hasn't equiped them to compete with the greys.
Isolated populations might survive,but it seems inevitable that this is another man made catastrophy.
A deer stalker was telling me that the Sika deer has invaded Britain so much that most of the mainland Red Deer are actually hybrids,I didn't realise how bad that was either.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:33 pm

It's wether they can come up with answers in time, because the clock is ticking for the Reds, and has been for sometime. Really they are reduced to pockets already, and the size is getting smaller. Did'nt know that about the Sika either TB, it seems Deer numbers in general are becoming a problem in Britain, there eating habits are destroying habitats for Birds, and other species
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for that link LW. What an adorable picture when you open the link I love you Good to hear that the reds are fighting back but there is still an alarming low number of them Crying or Very sad

I too find it a bit sad that the greys are being killed and would welcome a grey contraception and vaccine against the grey squirrel pox.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down