Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clubs(wild life ones,not THAT sort of wild life)

4 posters

Go down

Clubs(wild life ones,not THAT sort of wild life) Empty Clubs(wild life ones,not THAT sort of wild life)

Post  tigerburnie Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Prompted by a private conversation with one of our members...........

Are you a member of a local wildlife/bird club?
Have you ever thought about joining one?

I joined a local bird club to make a few local friends and to quickly catch up with what goes on round my patch.This happens to have a guy running a great site where folks post what they've seen,so I get to know what's in the region(that's how I know there's some Waxwings around).
I no longer go on the "meets"(they're even more geeky than Mr Geeky Man),but still bump into some of them and support the website with reports etc.

I think for those who want to further their own knowledge and maybe make some like minded(not too geeky) friends , then give it a go.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Clubs(wild life ones,not THAT sort of wild life) Empty Re: Clubs(wild life ones,not THAT sort of wild life)

Post  Doogs Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 pm

A wildlife club would interest me TB but from a personal point of view I'm not so keen on birds so that would be a no No no No from me.

Sounds like a well run club that you've joined TB and great that you can all post what you've seen in the region.
I Agree to join a club will further your wildlife knowledge and you're sure to meet some new (not too geeky) friends Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Clubs(wild life ones,not THAT sort of wild life) Empty Re: Clubs(wild life ones,not THAT sort of wild life)

Post  whitestarling Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Thats a great idea TB. I have been looking into finding something like that where I live. As you know I'm only a short distance from the coast where I've been taking my Coastal Bird photos, and I've notived that at time there are quite alot of people with scopes, and they are all in a group. I'm going to by myslef a scope, and see if I can get involved with them to see what knowledge I can pick up. Another good idea of yours was to have more that one Bird Book for identification. I have been looking in second hand book shops, and I've found a great one, it was published in the 1980's, called the Shell Book of Birds so its not right upto date, but the drawings in it are really good for identifiying Birds. There are drawings of the Birds in thier different plumage at times of the year, and it also shows them as juvaniles, first year, second year, and adult. As well as male, and female. Which is really helpful, and I would have been able to identify the birds I asked you about from this book. I've also bought a small new RSPB one that has good drawings in it to.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:58 pm

That 1980's book sounds ideal WS. Seeing the birds at different times of the year and age will really help to identify them. I too am looking for a club or something to join round here and i'm going to start with our local Wetlands centre and also see about going on some of the talks they do. My passion for birds has really grown but my big passion is the Birds of Prey and I would love to get more involved in that.
Sharing ideas and tips is wonderful and often it inspires you to go that bit further with your interest. I am very much a from the heart kind of person with animals and I have a nurturing, protective attitude towards them, but I do need to build my knowledge more, especially with the birds, so I need to hunt out the knowledge more and stop just going Aaahhhhhhh Very Happy
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:34 pm

I have a couple of books from the 1930's,the birds don't change and let's face it,every year things turn up that the books say shouldn't.They are guides to aid you in your identification,but your own observations are probably worth a lot more for your own locality,chances are they who write books don't know your local patch as well as you do.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Clubs(wild life ones,not THAT sort of wild life) 768480 Good point TB, and one to remember
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum