Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hedgehog Hibernation & Climate Change

3 posters

Go down

Hedgehog Hibernation & Climate Change Empty Hedgehog Hibernation & Climate Change

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm

An interesting article. I think some hedgehogs may be waking up earlier as sadly I am still seeing Hedgehogs in the road. I know the last few days have been cold but it has been fairly mild of late.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9020973/Hedgehog-hibernation-could-hold-clue-to-climate-change.html

There is a survey taking place in February, heres the link to the survey if you want to take part.
http://www.ptes.org/

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hedgehog Hibernation & Climate Change Empty Re: Hedgehog Hibernation & Climate Change

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:16 pm

This years weather patterns have definitely knocked alot of animals and plants out of their normal rhythms. I say five active ladybirds today on the bush at the front door of our offices. Is that not early to be seeing such active ladybirds.

I checked out the Hedgehog survey and you have to sign up to take part before 1st Feb at this address:
http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/hibernation-survey.html

Thanks for that LW

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Hedgehog Hibernation & Climate Change Empty Re: Hedgehog Hibernation & Climate Change

Post  Laikipia Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks for that Littlewid - I've not seen any hedgehogs (alive) for ages, sadly just the odd squashed one on the road but nothing recently.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Active Ladybirds SM thats an odd one but as you say I have seen trees in bud that normally wouldn't be yet, round the corner from me there is a Magnolia tree and its budding rather madly and i'm sure that is early.

It's a shame isn't it lai, I have seen many poor Hedgehogs on the road where they have been run over. I think the last alive one I saw was towards the end of december, Nero and I were walking round the ring and he came scuttling out of a garden and was heading for the curb, so we both blocked his path ( Nero is dead cool with them and doesn't chase or bark at them) and edged him back into the garden where he scuttled under a bush.......job done Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Nero is a true Like a Star @ heaven Littlewid. We've also ladybirds but I think they may be the ones that are taking over so I keep putting them outside. Snowdrops coming up but no magnolia yet - I'll keep my eyes open for them.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down