Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick

4 posters

Go down

An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick Empty An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Post  Laikipia Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:35 am

Dame Daphne’s autobiography is published first in the UK, by Penguin/Viking on 1st March 2012. Subsequently Farrar, Straus & Giroux will be releasing the U.S. Edition ‘Love, Life, and Elephants’ on 8th May. With future country releases taking place throughout the year.

We are offering everyone the opportunity to order the book today, direct from the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. In the knowledge that only orders placed through the Trust will generate income for our wildlife projects in Kenya as pioneered by Dame Daphne.

To order the UK edition, which can be delivered internationally, please follow this link: http://www.thedswt.org.uk/als.html

To order the U.S. edition, for delivery within the USA only, please follow this link: http://www.thedswt.org.uk/LLE.html

REVIEWS

BBC Wildlife Magazine (UK)

A Tale of Two Loves
One of Africa’s best-known conservationists writes about romance and living with elephants.

Daphne Sheldrick’s absorbing, moving memoir is a tale of two loves. One was David, her second husband, legendary head warden of Tsavo, Kenya’s biggest national park. The other was Tsavo itself, renowned for its lions, elephants, rhinos - and poachers. In the 1950s, Waliangulu bowmen were the chief culprits. But when poaching was brought under control, the elephants multiplied and scientists argued for a cull. David prevented it, but in 1970 a terrible drought killed them in their thousands. Things got worse. Later in the 1970s, Somali bandit gangs fell upon Tsavo, and in 1976 the National Park Service was merged with the corrupt Game Department. David was removed from Tsavo and died of a heart attack the following year. Daphne coped by devoting herself to caring for Tsavo’s animal orphans – baby rhinos and elephants that she raised at her Nairobi nursery before returning them to the wild. Others, notably Elspeth Huxley, have written with more lyricism about growing up in Kenya. But Daphne has painted a vivid picture of an extraordinary life in the bush that will delight everyone who shares her passion for Africa.

The Telegraph (UK)

Helen Brown is enchanted by An African Love Story, Daphne Sheldrick's memoir about bringing up African elephants and gives it 5 stars.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick Empty Re: An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Thu May 24, 2012 6:54 am

I just got my copy of this book. I am so happy and excited. :)

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick Empty Re: An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Post  Laikipia Thu May 24, 2012 1:29 pm

It is wonderful, you'll love it and it's so interesting her whole life story. I am just over half way through it and am enjoying it so much.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Thu May 24, 2012 2:03 pm

I read the first chapter and I have to agree with you. I Agree

Its incredible. Impossible to put down. Reading

Her description of Kenya is so beautiful that it transports you into that world and makes you feel a part of her experiences. :)

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Absolutely true - you can close your eyes and imagine you are there. I try to only read a couple of chapters at the weekend so I can make it last!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 24, 2012 11:07 pm

This sounds like a book for me Lai. I will have a look at the link tomorrow else I will get into ordering it now and it's getting late. Thanks for the post and links cheers

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 25, 2012 8:29 am

Well worth it Littlewid - it's really wonderful and so interesting, also some great old photos.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 pm

It is a wonderful book, I was captivated and like Lai only read a couple of chapters at a time to make it last Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum