Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Save the Rhino International

5 posters

Go down

Save the Rhino International Empty Save the Rhino International

Post  Safari Maiden Wed May 19, 2010 9:54 am

I posted this post earlier i was very excited to have a group that dedicated saving the rhino however on further investigation not everything is as it seems. Please read all the way through the posts on this thread so you can see both sides of Saving the Rhino Internationals work ethics.

"Save the Rhino works to conserve viable populations of critically endangered rhinos in Africa and Asia. We recognise that the future of wildlife is inextricably linked to the communities that share its habitat. By funding field projects and through education, our goal is to deliver material, long-lasting and widespread benefits to rhinos and other endangered species, ecosystems and to the people living in these areas.

Save the Rhino International focuses on genetically viable populations of critically endangered rhinoceros species in the wild.

“Genetically viable” populations are generally taken to mean those with a minimum of 20 individuals. In some areas, smaller populations have been known to breed successfully, although it is not know what the impact is on the long-term genetic diversity of such a population."

Save the Rhino International

Last edited by Safari Maiden on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Save the Rhino International Empty Re: Save the Rhino International

Post  Laikipia Wed May 19, 2010 10:00 am

Another really good organisation - well worth supporting.

Thanks for the link SM
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks SM I will have a look at that one later, it's good that we have found organisations, and support groups for all our Animals
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 21, 2010 8:50 am

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri May 21, 2010 10:56 pm

What on earth is a place like Shamwari doing thing like this for I know they all need money, but I would have thought there were better ways of doing it. At least the Fletcher family, have lost all their ill gotten gains. Thanks for highlighting this Lai
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Save the Rhino International Empty Saving Rhino by shooting them? Warning link image upsetting

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Very tempted to remove the 'Save the Rhino' organisation thread!

Read this and then tell me what you think - Im stunned - The hypocracy of it!

Extract from the Article on the Lion Aid site:

There has been a recent furore created by an article in the Times about a conservation organization dedicated to saving rhinos (appropriately called Save the Rhino) accepting funding from a hunting lobby or two.

Save the Rhino made a deal with the Safari Club International where funds from rhino hunts would be donated back to the London-based charity in order to continue their conservation efforts. Save the Rhino clearly acknowledges SCI as a partner on its website, and has been receiving funds since 2006. Save the Rhino and SCI seem to describe this as a win-win situation – the one needed funds, and the other was willing to extend them (after being rejected by some other organizations).

What is not discussed in the article is that many of those rhinos taken as trophies are not wild, but captive bred on game ranches. The trophy hunters will happily shoot such canned rhinos, and since bred white rhinos are quite docile animals, they will happily expose their vulnerable hearts to a high powered rifle from close range.

For the full article click HERE (WARNING image on this link will upset)
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:22 pm

It is all too common in SA - the same thing happens with lions. Kept in captivity and released for those who want to pay big $$$ for their trophy hunting. Lions, Rhino and buff fetch a good price. I am appalled at this but i am not surprised, so much goes on that we don't know about.

I have no idea what the answer is, for as long as people are willing to pay whether it be hunting or for so called mecinal reasons, these animals are threatened.

At the moment i am speechless so can't put a coherent reply here.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Lai, I have to keep rereading this, Im really struggling to get my head around it and to call the arrangement a win-win situation is a slap in the face.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:58 am

I agree SM - i am not following their win win argument. For the animals it most certainly isn't. No No No

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:22 am

I was really saddened and full of disbelief when I read this yesterday. Win Win is just a cop out for poor supposed conservation work. True conservationists I am sure would never enter into such a deal that was falsely leading people to think they were on top of their game for the conservation of an animal.
In my book there is no excuse for this kind of thing to go on. I am sure there will be people out there who will say the captive breeding of the Rhino and then the canned hunting of them is supporting the Rhino's in the wild.....to me this is utter rubbish, no animal deserves to be bred and shot for the sake of another animal or monetary gain.
Conservation work usually starts and continues with the education of the people about the animals and the land to help sustain a species, it should never in my book be led by the barbaric, unethical breeding of animals to be shot for monetary gains that I am in no doubt go to line the pockets of other people before the wild animals are even considered.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks for posting the link Anne-Marie but i am Sad Sad and Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad that this can still be happening.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Excellent find AM. That is really informative and highlights the article in question.

Thanks for posting.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Sorry I've only just caught up with this after my PC problems. This is really terrible news, to accept funding fron organisations like that defeats the object. So I dont know how they can call it win win.
If you want to withdraw the thread it's OK by me SM
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: