Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could/should the Wildlife Law be updated

3 posters

Go down

Could/should the Wildlife Law be updated Empty Could/should the Wildlife Law be updated

Post  littlewid Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:41 pm

I think this is going to cause a lot of concern and a lot of debate. To me it does read as though it's to benefit the farmers and the shoots and maybe not such a concern for our native wildlife.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9493070/Law-could-be-updated-to-make-it-easier-to-cull-grey-squirrels-and-badgers.html

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Could/should the Wildlife Law be updated Empty Re: Could/should the Wildlife Law be updated

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:46 pm

I saw this on Twitter and am not sure about it. I do have an issue with being over run by grey squirrels but think much more time needs to be spent in consultation.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Could/should the Wildlife Law be updated Empty Re: Could/should the Wildlife Law be updated

Post  littlewid Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:25 pm

As much as Grey Squirrels are one of the planets animals and therefore have my respect, they are also killing of our native reds and yes I do have concerns over that issue.
I think the thing tht hit me from the article was it sounded as though they wanted to change the law so that they could just go onto anyones land and kill of what they believed not to be native, whether it be animal or plant and when this kind of law gets passed it can also get out of hand and then the animals and plant life will really suffer. It didn't sound to me that there was much concern over our native animals just the things that may be getting in the way of farmers income and that of the big shoots as well.
I agree Lai, it needs far more consultation and input from various societys.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Like most things a lot more discussion and thought is needed. If you cull 100 grey squirrels in an area, within a relatively short time another 100 will appear from neighbouring areas. They are now here and here to stay, like so many creatures that were introduced and shouldn't really be here.

Man interferring again Rolling Eyes

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm going to have a really big Could/should the Wildlife Law be updated 45922 about this one before commenting. There are some species, and the reasons for culls that worry me
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:45 pm

There are way to many loopholes in this. Where it's to protect a native species like the Reds, in the areas where they are still holding on then fine, also with Mink, and the different species of Crayfish ect, and plants like Japanese Knotweed that are really invasive, I have no problem. What does concern me is when they start talking about native species like the Badger as we have all discussed on here. Now it's Buzzards that are spoiling the fun of people who like to shoot Birds, and the loss to the estates is negligable, the answer shoot the Buzzards. affraid Cormorants are spoiling the fun of Fishermen by coming inland, and taking fish. So they are now a pest, I wonder if the Cormorants think the same of the Fisherman that go to the coast, and take their fish. The word pest is used to describe a wide range of things, from a major problem, to a slight nusience, what a pest to one person or group of people, can be a pleasure, or a thing of beauty to another. In essence this legislation could be used to get rid of anything that interfer's with mans pleasure, or business interests, without any thought for the effects on our wildlife.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum