Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 Rhinos Killed in SA

+3
littlewid
Anne-Marie1981
whitestarling
7 posters

Go down

8 Rhinos Killed in SA Empty 8 Rhinos Killed in SA

Post  whitestarling Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:40 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20471126

When will it ever end. When there are no Rhinos left in the world ?

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

8 Rhinos Killed in SA Empty Re: 8 Rhinos Killed in SA

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Too sad Sad they have to find a way to stop it.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:29 pm

You watch clips like that and it stuns you into silence, but not because you don't have anything to say but because what you want to say and do is not very readable for others to see. At the moment my heart is screaming for the Rhino and how low will these people go to killing a 5 month old calf, they are so deranged. It's all about money on the poachers part and sick brainless belief on the others that believe Rhino horn is medicine.
Trying to dehorn the Rhino isn't working and neither is long prison sentences. What is the sensible answer? I don't know, trying to educate the sick minded people who believe there is power to cure in the Rhino horn just doesn't seem to work, paying poachers to give information on the organisers doesn't seem to work, what is going to work? I think yu may be right WS that it will only stop for the Rhino when there are no Rhino left but sadly these idiot believers will then move on to another animal.
A lot of people discredit zoos but is this the only place that some animals will be safe!

Somewhere along the line, it has got to be proved to these people that Rhino Horn and other animal parts play no part in curing you or enhancing something and that these culteral beliefs are just misguided sick beliefs that have no bearing on the truth.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 am

I too saw the report on the BBC News and was thoroughly sickened. However we need to remember that the reason the rhino became an endangered species in the first place was not poaching but trophy hunting by wealthy Europeans and Americans including royalty and people who should have known better, in the 19-20s, 30s, 40s 50s and into the 60s. That was simple indiscriminate slaughter of wildlife for "fun" and for something to put on the wall to show how 'macho' you were. It was only by the efforts of a few dedicated South Africans that there are any rhinos left at all and the slaughter is now starting again and this time for money. One solution I have heard talked about is 'rhino farming', whereby you remove the rhino horn regularly (being like finger nails it soon grows back) under controlled conditions and allow it to be sold until such time as hopefully by education you can convince the end user of its uselessness and thereby devalue it as a commodity. Whether that would work is obviously debatable. One of the problems of dehorning rhinos in the wild without proper supervision is that it leaves the rhino vulnerable to attack from other predators, mothers cannot protect their young and bulls cannot defend their territory. As long as there is money to be made the problem as with drugs will continue.

Safariman

p.s I am returning to Kenya at the end of the week to spend a few days staying at Offbeat Safaris' camps in the Mara and then Meru; so I will then be able to bore you all with another endless stream of photos for the next 6 months!!
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:27 am

That is a mild clip when compared to scenes of "live hunts" and dying rhinos when you witness a maimed rhino that attempts to breath through a cavity in its nasal passage after its horn has been hacked off.

Unfortunately we have now become accustomed to this in South Africa - seeing these scenes virtually daily.

The onslaught is from all fronts. Really annoying for me personally is the increasing links of poaching to wildlife industry insiders.

These individuals are obviously in a great position to run wildlife crime syndicates and are typically also well funded and connected within the industry.

We have been debating the possible solutions for a few years now and getting everyone to pull in the same direction is no easy task. There are better synergies amongst the various stakeholders but the challenge is still a huge one.

Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

http://www.africa-wildlife-detective.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:26 pm

I agree Safariman, the problem was first started by the excessive, and indiscriminate trophy hunting, and killing just for fun in those decades, but the poaching of not only Rhinos, but Elephants,Tigers, Bears ect in the world is increasingly having a devastating affect on these iconic species. As PIR says catching the actual individuals doing the poaching is getting better, but cutting the heads off of the crime syndicates that organise, and are the paymasters of this trade is the secret to putting a stop to this, and there are to many people in high places involved, for this to be effective at the moment, its a Global problem where even drug syndicates are switching from drugs, because its more profitable, and less risky. It needs a Global response to sort it out
WS

PS SafarimanLooking forward to being bored 8 Rhinos Killed in SA 40683 I dont think so with how good your photos, and stories are, have a great time
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:11 pm

More sickening news on rhinos and recently I've seen some heartbreaking clips. The poaching will never stop and soon the rhinos and eles will be no more. I am only so sad that there seems to be nothing we can do to help these beautiful animals.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:30 pm

I find it very sad Chris that you say you have become accustomed to this in South Africa, I don't believe that you mean accustomed to the point it doesn't bother you but accustomed that it is sadly becoming the norm.

I must admit I felt physically sick when you said about the Rhino trying to breath after it's horn has been hacked off, I m not sure if that is an image that will ever leave my mind.

Safariman I see where they were coming from by trying to dehorn in a controlled way but as you say it brings so many consequences with it and if the truth be known, why should these wonderful creatures have to be dehorned in the first place.

Man started this by having no respect for the Rhino with hunting and again poaching is happening out of a lack of respect. Man really needs to wise up about animal parts and how they do not benefit man.

It doesn't make you wealthy, healthy, beautiful, sexy, live longer or better than anyone else, it just makes them a Nothing and thats the politest I can describe them.

Somehow the world has got to stand together on poaching of all kinds and put a stop to it or we run the risk of loosing everything.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 am

Sadly in some instances I have to agree with an animal lover I know who believes that the world and its animals would be better off without humans. Certainly it would have a good balance; man does so much damage (reduced habitats for starters), despite the fact that many of us care for animals. In the end the almighty $ says a lot, and people will still unfortunately act on that.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 pm

littlewid wrote:I find it very sad Chris that you say you have become accustomed to this in South Africa, I don't believe that you mean accustomed to the point it doesn't bother you but accustomed that it is sadly becoming the norm.
littlewid-x-

No littlewid - will certainly never stop bothering me. We do face the risk of becoming numb to it though because it is daily news here.

I plan to get more actively involved in the rhino poaching combat campaigns next year when I will be reviving my wildlife website with some new technology coming my way.

When I last monitored it I was still number one in "google image results" for the keyword "rhino poaching" for this rhino poaching page which has now become totally outdated.

What I need to learn is to translate the disgust and horror that people feel when they see those images into action.

Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

http://www.africa-wildlife-detective.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Hopefully Chris none of us who love wildlife of any sort from any Country will never except poaching as a norm. I know we all feel disgusted at the images we see of these atrocities, and the same people are also using the same techniques for the poaching, and slaughter of Elephants. Your link about Rhinos is really well put together as it is, and if you can improve it that would be fantastic. Any help WAA members who can help, I know will be more than willing to, to help in fighting to save the Rhino

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum