Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urban Foxes - related to the recent press events.

4 posters

Go down

Urban Foxes - related to the recent press events. Empty Urban Foxes - related to the recent press events.

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:02 pm

After recent events in the news, this is going to be a topic of much discussion. Everyone will have their own views on Foxes and on whether this could have been the act of a Fox or not and what should or should not be done to try and prevent Foxes roaming in urban areas and no doubt it will bring about the topic which can get very heated about fox hunting.
These article appeared in the Telegraph today, one supporting the Fox and one not. As I say, everyone will have their own opinion.
I can see both sides but I am not up for a mass cull of the Fox....but thats my personal opinion. I just thought I would post the articles for all to see.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7809142/Fox-would-not-have-attacked-baby-twins-unprovoked-say-wildlife-experts.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/7809938/Its-time-to-clear-foxes-from-our-streets.html

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Urban Foxes - related to the recent press events. Empty Re: Urban Foxes - related to the recent press events.

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:21 pm

My only comment would be that whilst urban foxes are far more daring than rural foxes, who run a mile when they see you, i find this incredibly hard to believe. SK commented briefly on Springwatch last night that in his 37 years of experience with foxes he had never heard of such a thing happening.

It is terrible and i am sure the opinions will be split here - but to cull the foxes cannot be the answer surely scratch Apologies to anyone who is offended by my thoughts.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Urban Foxes - related to the recent press events. Empty Re: Urban Foxes - related to the recent press events.

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Lai I am not offended by your comments at all. I infact find it hard to believe it was caused by a fox, I wonder if there is more to this story than we know but again that is just my personal thoughts. As I said before, I am in no way in support of a mass cull either, it is not the answer and the public have to take some accountability for encouraging urban foxes, so much rubbish is left around these days to tempt the foxes, we have to take some of the blame.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:58 pm

The problem here is that we will never really know the full facts. No doubt urban foxes are a nuisance but we feed them intenionally and unintentionally so if they have now become out of control who is responsible? I am horrified by what has happened, but feel that to randomly cull the foxes is not the answer. I have similar views on badger culling as well No

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:51 am

I agree with what you both have said. I really felt there was more to this story that what meets the eye. However a photo has appeared today that shows the fox in the house Crying or Very sad (not that I can find it now, maybe its been taken down as its false,. will keep searching) I just find it very odd that a fox would 'sneak' into a house, manage to get past the parents, upstairs and into a cot.

I don't feel a mass cull is the answer. Maybe a bit of education in how to dispose of rubbish correctly. They are coming into gardens for a reason and it must be food.

Very sensitive subject, and I also hope i haven't offended anyone with my views.

just found the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10276286.stm
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for posting the link Anne-Marie. I totally agree re the rubbish and disposal of it, we have to take responsibility ourselves. We produce so much rubbish which just sits there, urban foxes are bound to get bolder by the day.

I think i had better stop i have very strong views on this and culling and have no desire to upset anyone -

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:27 pm

I have been having several arguments at work about this and have no desire to get into another here but I just don't buy this story at all. I heard a radio interview with a neighbour who wondered why the family dog hadn't scared the fox away...! I don't want to say anything controversial as I don't want to upset or offend anyone but I have my own views of what happened and it didn't involve a fox.

I am dead against a cull. Especially since it would be being carried out on the back of ONE alleged attack. The fact that they have already shot dead one probably innocent fox makes me sad enough. Humans hurt and kill far more people than foxes do - should we do a cull on humans too ?

I'll be quiet now.

LT x

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:20 pm

I have been thinking about this, and a load of friends were also talking about it in the Pub, my views on culls are the same as everyone else on here, and the sublect you mentioned LT was also brought up. Say no more.
The thing I'm concerned about is the waste food disposal issue. Some of the Urban Foxes are generations old they have no hunting skills to speak of because scavaging has become their way of life. With the parents of each litter teaching their Cubs where the best place are to find food rather than teaching them hunting skills, and where is the best place to hunt, because that experience has been lost down the generations. Instinct may help a bit but not much.
So what would the Urban Fox do if we all made our waste Fox proof, they could'nt go back to rural living, because of the lack of hunting skills, it would be rather like releasing, a captive wild animal, and expecting it to survive. Because it's so use to finding its food in the City's, and Towns would it become more bolder in desperation of finding food, and be more likely to enter properties.
Just a thought
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:59 am

Good comments from you both LT and WS - both of which i agree with.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:28 am

This is a very sensitive subject and one I still hold my views to myself in the broader term but I will say I am still very suspicious about the whole truth of this story.
My big worry is for the foxes and I fear that people will start acting very badly towards the fox and I hope people and authorities dont start acting in the wrong way based on as LT says one alleged attack.
Really good comments have been made on here by everyone but I am thinking what could an answer be, as WS rightly says, these urban foxes are only living as they have always known by scavenging through peoples rubbish, this has gone on for generations and to take that away could lead to other consequences where foxes may start entering houses.
What is the answer, I don't know, all I do know is that mass culling is not the answer. I am hoping that wildlife experts may have some clues or suggestions to help save the urban fox from mass culling and I hope they are trying to look at ways to prevent this with the government, as they will ultimately be the ones who have the foxes lives in their hands.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum