Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012

+2
Laikipia
Safariman
6 posters

Go down

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 Empty Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012

Post  Safariman Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am

Photos of some of the other wildlife I came across on my trip to the Mara last Dec.

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060010

"Ha Ha Ha, good joke, now tell the one about the wildebeest that tried to cross the river"
Two overfed crocs. on the banks of the Mara River.

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060110

Male Klipspringer, an unusual sighting for the Mara as they are normally only found in very rocky areas.

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060310

"At the waterhole" the amazing variety of wildlife that can be seen existing peacefully together.

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060812

"Master of all he surveys", a topi antelope

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060011

A warthog with a rather large youngster still suckling!!

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1050910

The latest in hippo headwear. A green fascinator with matching earring which will be all the rage at Ascot this year!!

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1050611

A spotted hyena with a guilty secret!!

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1050612

Bohor's Reedbuck

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060012

Always remember to read the label on your best clothes before putting them in the washing machine!!

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060610

A brand new baby topi.

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060611

The magnificent horns of a male impala

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1060417

A kongoni antelope

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 Empty Re: Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012

Post  Laikipia Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 am

http://i73.servimg.c Safariman and thanks for sharing your photos with some great comments as well.

The klipspringer surely is unusual for the Mara but how lovely to have seen one. I love Topi's with their amazing markings, such beautiful colours and so majestic looking standing on a mound. The hippo with it's hat is great and the hyena really does look as though it has a guilty secret!

Great selection and thanks. Another trip planned yet?

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 Empty Re: Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012

Post  whitestarling Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 768480 Brilliant again Safariman I just showed Mrs S the Hippo, and Croc pics and she ROFL really great comments http://i73.servimg.c You the man . I also love the other photos of the Klipspringer, I did'nt know they were unusual in the Mara, and also the Topi. Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 40683 Just noticed the Zebra, and thw washing machine comment. The Hyena is certainly guilty no trial needed.
Thanks Safariman you've really cheered us up today, and we needed it after our Cras head gasket blew, needed to smile, and you did it
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks Lai, with the weather as it is I feel the need to get away now but it will have to wait until at least June. Not sure where, I can't make up my mind whether to return to Kenya and stay at either the Mara or Meru with Offbeat or try somewhere different. I have been thinking of returning to Zambia and possibly visiting the Lower Zambezi National Park, somewhere I have never been to. I have just heard that BA are adding another flight to Nairobi leaving on Sunday evening arriving Nairobi Monday morning; it gives another option now that Virgin no longer do the route.
WS the Klipsringer is the Afrikaans name for "Rock Jumper" and that is what it does. Its feet have been developed to allow it to stand on its toes similar to a ballet dancer on points and this helps it to balance on very rocky terrain. Its normal habitat is the high rocky cliffs and escarpments rather than the East African plains. The one I saw was close to camp in a fairly remote little visited valley and was something my guide David wanted me to see, so I was very lucky as the sightings are rare. I have posted a couple of pics of Klipspringers I saw in SA showing their specially developed feet and also their typical habitat.

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1020210

Other wildlife of the Mara, Dec. 2012 P1040110

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:23 pm

It's wet and windy here today Safariman so those pictures are a joy to see. I especially love the Hippo pic and the comments are brilliant, that fascinator and earrings may catch on you never know......fashion has it's oddities! I think the Hyena's secret is out there for all to see very clearly What a Face the Warthog is rather large to still be suckling, I wonder if that was mums only hog and thats why its still allowed to suckle? The Zebra, had he been lying in dust or something? if not thats very odd! The Klipspringer kind of reminds me of a Llama and it really does look like a Ballet dancer on point.
Great pics Safariman and sounds like you have a big decision as to where to go next scratch

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 pm

A difficult decision Safariman. I love Kenya but sometimes feel I need to get out of my comfort zone of visiting there Laughing Having said that we've been to Zambia twice now and really loved it, I think I love life along the river so much that it is a great place to visit. Only problem is BA don't fly daily.

Good to know about BA adding another flight , with Virgin dropping the Nairobi route it's a pain.

We're having a change next year and going to Namibia, as long as it's Africa I love it Very Happy

Let us know when you decide cheers

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:34 am

You the man 's aplenty Safariman!!! Your comments even manage to outdo the wonderful pictures. So very witty and ROFL resultant! Croc, warthog and hippo commentary was terrific, but even bettered by the zebra for mine; such a marvellous observation, as it really does look like something went horribley wrong with its outfit in the wash!

Lai, a woman from my work went to Namibia last year and had a great time, even making a great booklet of photographs from her adventure with animals aplenty! And for me I remember seeing a little about the country and its landscape on an episode of Wildest Africa, and I'm sure you will have a great time. There is so much desert there, but yet still so many creatures survive and thrive. Will be a fascinating trip for you.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

What lovely, varied photos Safariman. That newborn Topi was just adorable I love you Also really liked your waterhole picture with the variety of animals therein.

Good to hear BA have added another flight to Nairobi, we are travelling with KLM this year for the first time so it will be interesting to see what they are like as we've never travelled with them before
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks for the information on the Klipspringer Safariman, something else I've learnt on WAA. Your photos really show the foot construction, and as you say ballet like really tip toes.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum