Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penny - Rainbow Bridge

5 posters

Go down

Penny - Rainbow Bridge Empty Penny - Rainbow Bridge

Post  Doogs Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Lai, you know my thoughts are with you at this difficult time and words are never easy to say. I thought this was a nice poem that will make you think of Penny when you read it I love you

I'm Still Here

Friend, please don't mourn for me
I'm still here, though you don't see.
I'm right by your side each night and day
and within your heart I long to stay.

My body is gone but I'm always near.
I'm everything you feel, see or hear.
My spirit is free, but I'll never depart
as long as you keep me alive in your heart.

I'll never wander out of your sight-
I'm the brightest star on a summer night.
I'll never be beyond your reach-
I'm the warm moist sand when you're at the beach.

I'm the colorful leaves when fall comes around
and the pure white snow that blankets the ground.
I'm the beautiful flowers of which you're so fond,
The clear cool water in a quiet pond.

I'm the first bright blossom you'll see in the spring,
The first warm raindrop that April will bring.
I'm the first ray of light when the sun starts to shine,
and you'll see that the face in the moon is mine.

When you start thinking there's no one to love you,
you can talk to me through the Lord above you.
I'll whisper my answer through the leaves on the trees,
and you'll feel my presence in the soft summer breeze.

I'm the hot salty tears that flow when you weep
and the beautiful dreams that come while you sleep.
I'm the smile you see on a baby's face.
Just look for me, friend, I'm everyplace!

Doogs xxx Hugs
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Penny - Rainbow Bridge Empty Re: Penny - Rainbow Bridge

Post  Laikipia Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Thank you Doogs, a lovely poem and really so meaningful.

Penny was a rescue Greyhound who we found by chance whilst waiting at the vets one day. On a website called Overlooked Oldies she was there with a photo looking very appealing and a little grey round the muzzle, aged about 7. She was at the centre in Lincoln, about 3 or more like 4 hours away from home but I said to Pete this is the dog for us. We never regretted a single moment of that decision.

She was with us for just over 4 short years and learned to trust men again and to live life to the full. A constant visitor to the vet due to not knowing where her brakes were or how to turn a corner (a dog from the track runs to the left only). They knew and loved her too, always brave when injured and she really did hurt herself chasing the bunnies and squirrels, she was so focused she never saw the tree/fence/bush!

Renal failure and tired old bones, her poor back hips, finally got the better of her and we had to make the decision that she must not suffer any more pain or discomfort. Her poor old body was failing her. We were with her to her last breath, I held her gently while she passed into a deep sleep, she was in her garden in the sunshine, just as it should be. I know she was ready to leave us, she spent the morning with me looking at me with those wise old eyes saying goodbye.

Our time with her was special, she certainly lived for each day enthusiastically, always eager for her lunch time scooby snax, a new squeaky toy or the opportunity to just wander round the garden.

She is much missed already and not even a day has passed, but I feel she is here in spirit and she is now running free in the great savannah in the sky with no pain.

Penny - Rainbow Bridge 20130510 Penny taken this weekend with a precious squeaky duck.

A poem that was sent out via email from Lewa Wildlife Conservancy celebrating the life of Anna Merz which I think sums it up well for Penny too.

Don't weep at my grave,
for I am not there,
I've a date with a
butterfly to dance in the air.
I'll be singing in the
sunshine, wild and free
playing tag with the wind
while I am waiting for thee.

RIP our beloved greyhound Penny.

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 pm

I have just sent you a message Lai but those are two beautiful Poems very fitting of such a beautiful fun loving Penny. The photo of Penny is adorable and she looks alert with those wonderful ears and her squeaky at her feet.

Penny will be remembered with love, affection and the fun she brought to your lives. I know you say 4 short years but to Penny I imagine they were a wonderful lifetime and the best years of her life. I know she gave you and Pete so much but you also gave her a magical life and for that she will always love you and be with you, they never truely leave you.

Rest & Sleep Peacefully Penny.

Lots of Love
littlewid, Nero, Tiga & Splodge Hugs
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Thank you Littlewid Group Hug much appreciated. I have just read your PM and replied.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Two lovely poems that brought Sad to my eyes. A beautiful story about a beautiful Dog, who came into both your hearts, and took you into hers. It did make me smile when you talked about her brakes, and sense of direction I could just imagine her doing that, and her enjoyment of a new life with you, after the trials she had been through. It's so sad what happens to many Greyhounds after they have served their usefulness to the people that race them. Thank heavens there people like you, and Pete who give these Dogs hope, and life after their racing days are over.
As you say Penny knew, as well as both of you that the time had come. Lovely that you were there to hold her, as she took her first steps across Rainbow Bridge, and feeling her pains begin to subside, and her bones start to stenghten with each step she took, still feeling your loving touch helping her along the way. By the time she reached the end of the Bridge she would once more be a young Dog , ready to race out across the great savannah in the sky, and chase those Rabbits, and Squirrels till her hearts content. Pausing at the edge of the Bridge to look down on both you, and Pete to send her love, and thanks for the second lease of life over her lifetime you gave her, and to say although I'm here, I will always be there with you as well

RIP Penny, and enjoy the chase I love you

WS MRs S & Poppy
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed May 08, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks after reading your story about Penny Lai. Thank you for sharing your story about your very special lady, it was a lovely read I love you I'm so glad that you looked at that website and I'm so glad that you found each other in Penny's later years. By what you say I do think she was saying goodbye to you yesterday morning, it was her way of doing it. She has gone to Rainbow Bridge a very happy and loved dog after the life she has led with you Lai, you should be very proud of that I love you
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 09, 2013 7:59 am

Group Hug WS and Doogs. All your words and messages help so much, although they have me Sad it is in a good way remembering our lovely Penny.

I had never thought about Rainbow bridge like that WS, but I really love that concept and it made me happy visualising her every step across the bridge and onto a new life.

Thank you all so much.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 am

Not sure what I can add to do justice to all that has been said above. Marvellous stuff from the WAA 'Beatles' on all fronts. Some beautiful prose, plus good humour with Penny's love for going anti-clockwise. And that's it. With you and Pete, Penny was able to turn back time, making up for the 'lost' time before you rescued her.

So as I sit here with Leaping Leo under my arm pit (and regularly nudging my hand to stop me typing Razz ) I think I gain a little better wisdom to try me best to appreciate the times that we have with loved creatures, because it cannot be forever. Make the most of that, but then, even after, allow them to live on in our hearts.

And as such, there is no end. And that is a great thing.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Wise and good words GR and I love the turn back time analogy, that is very clever and a good way to think of her.

And as such, there is no end. And that is a great thing
definitely one to remember and cherish.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks Mrs Kipia Hugs

flower GR flower
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm

I like that GR Wink Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon May 27, 2013 10:15 pm

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS

I bet you are wondering, thinking of others as you do, of just how I’m getting along
Rainbow Bridge has been crossed safely, and I am in full song
Because this world is so full of sounds, and they’re nothing at all bleak
So I’ll let you in on a little secret, this world is the place of the squeak

A mystery of this afterlife revealed, though should it really come as a surprise?
Why did you think that I was so obsessed, with bringing about all my toys demise?
I knew deep down that once de-squeaked the sounds would soon be with my deceased furries
We dogs love unconditionally as you well know, we’re a little different to those purries Wink

And it’s not just the squeaks that make this place such a comfort one of wonder
For wherever I lie myself to rest it’s on a cloud of fluffy splendour
So that is why all that de-fluffing, also came into play
With my life so full of sunshine, I was able to give my others hay

There are plushies galore here, replenished with fluff, but sleeping soundlessly
Their squeakers have gone elsewhere, hazard a guess? Don’t go barking up the wrong tree
They are in us canines, replacing our bark, so when we speak, we squeak, so to speak
Our bark existed to protect our dear owners, we didn’t do that for fun, we ain’t freaks

And now it is I on my comfort cloud, chasing bunnies and squirrels forever more
There are so many of the little furries that I’ll even leave those jack russells alone I’m sure
We even have race tracks up here, so I can run in my favourite anti-clockwise mode
Turning back the time like you guys did, when you graciously gave my life a new road

You saw what others could not, that I was much more valuable than my name sounds
You saw past my age and gave me the fountain of youth, I was lost but then I was found
I devour a packet of scooby snacks a day, but no place shall compare to my heaven on Earth
Because nothing can replace my caring princess and prince, elephant size in their worth

And that Rhodesian ridgeback was alright too, so I thank you, Pete & Tamu
I may be the one smiling up above, but guardian angels are the lot of you
And as I look down upon my ‘mum’ today, I see those ducklings, and I see your warmth
A Mrs Yellow in her own right.

(sorry, don’t think anything rhymes with warmth Wink )
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon May 27, 2013 11:00 pm

http://i73.servimg.c GR that is wonderful and Lai is absolutely going to love it I love you Like a Star @ heaven I love you

You have captured everything about Penny, it is very well written and so thoughtful, you're writing skills clearly shine through in this piece. It made me Laughing it made me Very Happy and it also made me Sad (especially the last 2 verses) but purely because it's so lovely.

My favourite line :
You saw what others could not, that I was much more valuable than my name sounds
that's such a good line Like a Star @ heaven I love you Like a Star @ heaven

Very well done http://i73.servimg.c
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks for posting this here GR as well as under another thread, I am so pleased you placed it here as well, as you know I was totally overcome yesterday and it took me 2 attempts to reply and say how much I loved your poem.

(Doogs GR originally posted this under another thread and I thought it was so moving, beautiful and deeply touching that I asked him to post it here).

Oh bother I am Sad again

GR you are a true Like a Star @ heaven

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue May 28, 2013 11:16 am

GR That is simply brilliant http://i73.servimg.c Worth a 5 Like a Star @ heaven
You the man You the man You the man You the man You the man
Beautifully put togther, capturing everything about Penny's life, and the wonderful time spent with Lai, Pete, and Tamu
I'm not surprised it took you a couple of goes to reply Lai. Like you, and Doogs that brought Sad to my eyes it was so thoughtful of you to do that GR
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Tue May 28, 2013 11:35 am

So much Thanks and Hugs to you all for your kudos on my efforts with this poem (poetry is not really my speciality). To have touched you guys so much really means heapsy to me.

I was actually a little lazy with it as the original idea came when Lai gave the bad news of Penny's impending demise, and that kicked off the thought that the reason for de-fluffing the toys is to make the clouds in doggy heaven super dooper fluffy, and the rest sort of wrote itself. I was originally going to write a short story, but am glad I did a poem instead. Some ideas sat 'marinating' away for a couple of weeks as I really didn't have the energy to put pieces of writing together (I think way too many crazy ideas too tire me out Laughing ), but then over the past couple of nights I got myself together to do it. Like I said, much of it wrote itself; my insertion of jack russells of course comes from my own dogs, and the fact that Bella was attacked by a greyhound, so it's even a little bit of humour there that Penny will not attack them due to all the other lovely distractions Razz Plus it's an awareness that one day my pooches will join Penny there too, and so to make the most of the time that we have here.

And for me I view Mrs Kipia as like a guardian angel, because she has been an incredible friend to me, so I figured that if I view her in that way then Penny surely must.

I think it's a very honourable thing to adopt an older dog, so Doogs, I think you picked a terrific line as your favourite.

And it's so great that another one is set to enter the Mr & Mrs Kipia household Group Hug

It would be wrong to say that I wrote that just for Lai; for I love writing, so it's for me too. Now if I actually cooked something for her then that would really be going the whole hog or extra mile Penny - Rainbow Bridge 40683

5 Like a Star @ heaven - WOW WS Thanks

I 'almost' gave you a hug then Grandfather Clock Laughing
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 am

G Giraffe Giraffe http://i77.servimg.c R S http://i77.servimg.c - I am deeply touched that you regard me as a guardian angel - that's so lovely and kind.

WS aka GC will love the Group Hug don't think for one minute he won't GR Very Happy

I have just now printed out Penny's lovely poem and am going to have 3 copies, one for my office, one for home and one for my Penny file.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Hmmmm Penny - Rainbow Bridge 45922 all depends on what he's wearing Lai. If it's that onsie with only one button a Group Hug definately out
WS Penny - Rainbow Bridge 40683 Penny - Rainbow Bridge 40683
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Tue May 28, 2013 12:30 pm

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL You the man WS!

"I have just now printed out Penny's lovely poem and am going to have 3 copies, one for my office, one for home and one for my Penny file." Sad Hugs flower

It's really Cool that this so called 'sad' smiley Sad is really reflecting a happy Very Happy one http://i70.servimg.c

WS, I realise now that I did actually include you in a group hug at the top of my rabbitting reply post, though lucky for you it's shirt, jumper and tracksuit pants on for me tonight, so well covered up Razz

gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 pm

http://i70.servimg.c http://www.picgifs.c GR and WS are off again - great banter and very Penny - Rainbow Bridge 40683

It's really Cool that this so called 'sad' smiley Sad is really reflecting a happy Very Happy one http://i70.servimg.c

Well said and very true.

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue May 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Very glad that you moved the poem from the other thread to here Lai or I definitely would have missed it. I can see why you've printed it out for copies at work, home and your 'Penny' file I love you

Another http://i73.servimg.c to you for it GR Like a Star @ heaven
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue May 28, 2013 9:30 pm

GR that is such a beautiful poem, full of fun but such caring respect for Penny and no wonder Lai loves it. Pennys antics touched us all on here and I believe we were all saddened by her passing so to read that is the understanding of what a true friend to Lai you are and I am sure it's given us all tears as well as smiles. Much respect to you my friend and also to Penny for all the smiles she gave us on here.

littlewid-x- Group Hug
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed May 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Thank-you for your very generous words LW and again from you Doogs.

GR Hugs WAA
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed May 29, 2013 10:22 pm

You are very welcome GR, people deserve recognition for the good work they do and the boy did good Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Doogs Hugs
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum