Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheza and Sala

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cheza and Sala Empty Cheza and Sala

Post  RaD Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37 pm

I am sure there is already a topic on here about these magnificent lions, who entertained use in Big Cat Diary many years ago (I could not find one though). I have seen over the years since occasional information, pictures and updates about these guys.

I am just trying to find out if anyone has seen a recent picture, or had confirmation of whether they are still alive?

Most recently my understanding was that they were running a pride of their own and were in with a 3rd male lion? After this my belief was that Notches boys took over the pride and Cheza and Sala were believed to have moved on.

On Jonathan Scott's blog (May 2012) : posted by Pepe Puy
'Cheza and Sala disappeared after Notch and his boys took over the Maji ya Fisi Pride some months ago. It seems they went south'

I have since seen posts on Jackson's blog by people suggesting that Cheza and Sala were infact killed by Notches son's, however Jackson has not confirmed this and eventually replied to a comment quite recently saying he had not heard or seen them for some time but was sure they were fine (suggesting there was no real evidence to suggest they had been killed).

Anyway, has anyone seen or heard anything more recent or more certain about Cheza and Sala?

thanks RaD!

RaD

Back to top Go down

Cheza and Sala Empty Re: Cheza and Sala

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi RaD
There are posts on here about Cheza & Sala, not sure where they are at the moment, but will check. I agree two fabulous characters, whos memory lives with us BCD fans.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Found some more information I had not seen, but again nothing really confirmed? Sounds like Cheza is sadly gone, but what of Sala? Someone must have sighted him at some point.

'Cheza and Sala would have been 9 years old later this year. They were two of five young males (brothers and cousins) born in 2004 into the Ridge Pride. All males get kicked out as they approach or pass two years old and this is what happened here. After a few months they took over the Ol Kiombo Pride in early 2007. The pride had been without permanent males for a while but the two Ridge Pride males who sired Cheza and his gang used to spend some time with them as well as their own pride.

Two of the five young lions left after a while, leaving Cheza, Sala and a third lion called Junior. There are pictures of all three on my website. They were comparatively young to be in charge of a pride and a lot happened over the ensuing years. The detail is in a book I’ve at last finished and which is about to be printed. Notch’s gang eventually took over the Ol Kiombo Pride – they are still in charge.

Cheza, Sala and Junior stuck together and ended up with the Maji ya Fisi Pride. In early 2012 Junior was on his own one day while Cheza and Sala were patrolling the fringes of their old Ol Kiombo Pride. Junior was cornered by three of Notch’s gang and killed.

Subsequent to that, Notch’s gang killed seven of the cubs in the Maji ya Fisi Pride and over-powered Cheza and Sala. Cheza was killed but Sala escaped, was last seen heading towards Keekorok in the south east of the Mara but hasn’t been seen since.

All of this is what probably happened. I say this because in most cases there aren’t people around witnessing what actually took place and even when there are, sometimes lions and the other big cats are wrongly identified. That’s why there is often uncertainty about where famous characters are at any one time; there may only be a fleeting glance of them and all big cats go outside their usual territories from time to time, so unless they have distinctive whisker spot markings (and stay still long enough to match them up) or scars, mistaken identities do occur.

Thanks to Bob Eveleigh from Jonathan's Scott blog'

The Recent quote from Jackson was..

'Jackson Looseyia said...
I have not seen or had Cheza or Sala I am sure they ok somewhere in the Mara may near Naboisho
10 March 2013 22:01'

It just seems odd that many believe there to be an obvious line of events as described by Bob but that it could of happened with someone like Jackson not having heard anything what so ever about it.

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks RaD
Bob, and Pepe really know what they are talking about, so I should think what has been said is what has happened. We do have guides who are friends in Kenya, and also Jonathan, we will try to find out any more info. I remember Junior as well.
Jackson does not spend as much time there as he used to, also Jonathan is very busy and is not in the Mara, a lot of the time. We need to get in touch with others, who are spending more time there. I will send some emails out, to msee If I can find anything out
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:30 pm

HI RaD

Thank you for your input. It would be very sad if that was the case. I must admit Junior is not one that comes instantly to my mind but the gorgeous Cheza & Sala do and I am sure most of us have images imprinted in our memorys of when they were cubs. Life for a male lion is very tough and sadly their demise is not always very nice at all.
I would love for this information not to be true especially as it is kind of speculation as lot of things are with the loss of some of the big cats but it sounds as if it may be the case which is a very sad loss indeed.
It will be good if we can get some definitive confirmation. If Cheza has gone I wonder how Sala is fairing without him.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Yeah thanks guys.

It is almost sadder to imagine Sala out there alone without Cheza than the idea that they both died fighting for their pride and territory together. Anyway I am sure someone can at least confirm if either have been seen since these reports.

I look forward to some more information :)

On another note great to see Notch is still doing so well. It's unfortunate that these great characters we love have to come together in such violent ways, but that's life!

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:07 pm

RaD, those are my exact thoughts. I hate to think of them dying but to have Sala alone without Cheza just brings tears to my eyes and I have the image of them as cubs in my mind and how close they were. Life is rough sometimes but as you say, great to know Notch is still out there bounce

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 pm

I've sent some feelers out, but its a bit late here in the UK, so I will wait to see if we hear anything tomorrow
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:52 am

So far I can only find this

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t477-cheza-and-sala-confused-or-what

but I know there has been more. I am still looking ...........

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for that Link Lai, like you I know there's more somewhere Cheza and Sala 45922 .
In the mean time I've sent our friend Aatish, the following email

Hi Aatish
One of our members is asking if there is any news on Cheza & Sala. There was a report on J&A's Blog last year that their Pride had been taken over, by Notch, and his boys. There was also some confusion as to whether they had been killed or not. I know you posted on your Blog about them in July 2010, I just wondered if you or perhaps Paul Kirui, had any recent news
Looks like you, and your Brother are doing really well with the Guiding Aatish, well done to both of you. You've got on well since Uni

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Cheza and Sala 768480 WS. I had another look but it must be part of another thread/post you know how we go off on a tangent a lot Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Well Done WS cheers lets hope either Aatish or Paul have some news and lets hope it's good news as well.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 am

Via Sarah Skinner on FB

In addition Cheza was killed specifically in March 2012 i believe

and via Akash Patel on FB

When cheza, sala and Junior left the ridge pride, they had 2-3 cousins with them too. While cheza, sala and junior took over the olkiombo pride, their cousins went into neighbouring olare orok conservancy and took over the prides there. They are still ruling there today... they are called olbarnoti and lolarpit. many guides confuse them with cheza and sala. After all they are cousins

and George Baldacchino on FB

Initially Cheza, Sala, Junior, & 2-3 other younger male siblings took over the pride next to the Ridge Prides. There were no males in that pride at the time so the take over was pretty easy. They ruled that for a while, the younger ones eventually moved off to form their own pride but I have never found out where. Junior was killed by what was reported as Nomads & then it was Cheza and Sala. It was reported on FB but I have not seen it anywhere else that Cheza was killed by Notches. Sala is some where on his own now but no updates. I find it weird there is such little info on two of the Mara's most famous lions

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks Lai
A reply to a PM I sent, from Ronnie in America that more or less confirms what has been posted upto now

OK WS, here's what I was able to find out regarding Cheza and Sala. They left the Ridge Pride with another brother/cousin named Junior and 2-3 younger cousins. Cheza, Sala and Junior took over the nieghboring Olkiombo Pride while the younger males continued on to Olare Orok where they rule today. As take overs go this was relatively easy as there were no pride males at the time. There were reports that at one time Notch and Grimace attempted a take over but 3 vs 2 they were run off. Cheza, Sala and Junior were a very strong coalition and no way they'd lose with numbers in their favor. Later on Junior went missing and is believed to have been killed by nomads. In March of last year Notch and the boys returned in force, Cheza was killed and no one knows for sure what happened to Sala. He may be gone or could have moved on to Olare Orok with his cousins. The Olkiombo Pride is now the one Notch is found with most of the time, one of his favorites. Hope this info helps. I knew the basic story but not all the specifics.

Then another from Ronnie with some more news

I am still getting comments on my post and just received info from a very credible source that there is no confirmation that Cheza did not survive the take over. There is a video on youtube supposedly showing this fight. It shows 3 Notches attacking a large dark maned male, this is assumed to be Cheza, but when his back up arrives, Sala, they go after him and leave the darker maned male with far less than fatal injuries. I'll have to see if I can find the video. They definitely lost the pride to the Notches, but it is still possible both escaped it seems. That would be really good news!

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks WS, good to hear from Ronnie was has happened to them both.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 am

thanks guys, really interesting news. It seems as is often with this kind of things that very little can be confirmed, clearly nobody was present at the time. I am searching for this video on youtube now.

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:46 am

Are these the videos being refereed too. 4 Videos 3vs1 - Another lion comes in

I saw these a while ago but never imagined it could be Cheza and Sala. Sala has a darker mane in previous pictures I have seen? is that correct. That would make him the 2nd lion that comes in to help. But these could be any lions to be fair, unless someone can ID.

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:37 pm

I tried finding those Videos Rad, but no luck. Could you copy, and paste the link. Ronnie does have some good contacts in the Mara so something may still come of that. Also Aatish Patel, and his brother are in the Mara at the moment on Safari with guests, so I have'nt heard from him yet, if he knows anything
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Sorry I posted the link above, perhaps I formatted it wrong....

https://www.youtube.com/user/drnaikmanoj/videos

I am pretty sure this must be the videos refereed too haven't looked at the dates yet that might help with some sort of ID.

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:42 pm

No problem RaD I will check that out tomorrow at its getting a bit late now, and I need to watch the last Springwatch. I'm sure the others will have a look tomorrow

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:39 pm

I've watched the three clips a few times, and it does look like the Notch's, but I dont know if I'm missing something, but I cant see where the 4th Lion Sala ? comes in. I think Ronnie may be able to identify the Notch's better
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RaD Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:43 pm

there should be a 4th clip there WS? in the 4tg clip another lion arrives, then all the lions take chase...

RaD

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Let me check again RaD, just thought I think I missed  one out that looked as though it was from father away. I thought it would be in the last clip.
Just going for another look
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:55 pm

Oooops Sorry missed the wrong one out. Yep thats the one where the other Lion comes in. As you say the mane does look a bit on the light side from what I remember. Need to find some photos shame there was'nt any more footage as it is inconclusive as to what happened in the end
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:07 am

Just found this from J&A's Blog. There are some photos somewhere, but I dont think we'll be able to identify the spots from those videos
http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/main/wordpress/2010/04/cheza-and-sala-clues/

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next