Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM)

+2
littlewid
Doogs
6 posters

Go down

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Empty Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM)

Post  Doogs Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Due to the camp being so busy we were joined in the jeep by a couple (Dan & Lauren) who were on their honeymoon, they would be with us until the end of their morning drive on the Friday.  I will admit we were not too happy at first as we’ve never had to share with anyone else but they were a lovely couple, we all got on well and thankfully they ‘got’ what a safari is about – some people think it’s like a zoo and expect to see a different animal every 5 minutes or so !!

Saw our lions from the night before in the same spot.  Not far from them a Ridge Pride lioness had two cubs stored in a den across the river bank.  They looked to be about 6 weeks old, I got one picture of them but it wasn’t great they were tucked in well and were not keen to come out to play.

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Day_2_10

We saw another family of elephants this time with a few little ones, they were very cute.

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Day_2_11

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Day_2_12

After that the majority of our morning was spent with cheetah mum Alama and her two cubs who are about 9/10 months old (male and female I believe).  We watched as they stalked a warthog but were unsuccessful in making a kill when they finally went for it.  We followed them for a while and got some nice shots when they stopped to drink from a pool of water.  It was also lovely to watch the two siblings playing together.

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Day_2_13

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Day_2_14

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Day_2_15

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Day_2_16
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Empty Re: Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM)

Post  littlewid Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:50 pm

I love you I love you  loving the male lion and lioness picture Doogs, she looks so settled by him doesnt she, its a truely touching picture. He has a little wound on his face doesnt he, it looks as if its healing well but to me it definitely looks like a wound. Is he the only adult male in that pride do you know?
That little baby ele is just so gorgeous, its a fantastic picture, you must be really pleased with it. It must be wonderful to see a family of elephants, there is just something so magical about them.
Your photos of the cheetah family are spectacular, especially the last one, it looks as if you were sitting right in front of them, its beautiful.
Shame you couldnt get a clear picture of the younger lion cubs but at 6 weeks old very sensible of mum to keep them quite well hidden, better to be safe than sorry.

It must be odd to have to share your jeep and guide with a couple you dont know and didnt expect to have along for the ride but great that you all got along ok and that they understood being on safari meant you see what you see and not what you always expect to see. I am sure with you and your mum and dads experience of going on Safari you all made it more exciting for them.

Looks like day 2 was another great day for you. Thanks for sharing.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:12 am

Some more great photos Doogs. I also saw lions mating, must be that time of year!! I managed to get some photos but not sure if I should post them on WAA as I would not want to offend anybody but the pics are quite tasteful!! You managed to get some really good photos of the cheetahs drinking, I am always trying to get shots of the big cats when they are drinking especially if you can get their reflections in the water but I am rarely successful.
I did not see many elephants as it would seem that a lot of them had disappeared to try and find food as the Mara was so dry and barren.
Keep the photos coming.

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Now I have to be honest here, we saw this 'couple' on a number of occasions throughout our trip but when we were in their company they never actually 'got it on' - mostly I must say due to the fact that the lioness was Sleep She does call the shots in these matters as to when and where the action happens, perhaps they were at the latter stage of mating when they don't do it so frequently.  Some of the best 'mating' shots I ever got were on our very first trip back in 2006, taken in Samburu - this sequence of shots shows you just how things change in the mating world of lions !!! lol! 

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Lion_110
Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Lion_210
Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Lion_310
Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) Lion_411

Thank you for your comments SM cheers  Oooh your mating lions sound very intriguing SM, go for it, post them !!!  There are a couple of my cheetah shots that have quite good reflections, I also like to try and get any big cats drinking as it's quite unusual.  Strange that you didn't see many eles scratch 

LW, they do look good together don't they I love you   Yes he did have a scar on his side and also on his face, I presume it's just part and parcel of being a male lion - mating can be very rough so perhaps our lioness biffed him at one point !! Laughing   I don't know exactly how many lions are within The Ridge Pride but there are a large number of them and he was usually not far away from another lion so that's two older males at least.   Little eles are just so adorable, their little trunks incredibly cute I love you 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:56 pm

WOW Doogs those are some gorgeous shots and the first one shows what power and ferocity both the Male and Females have, very affraid and you are right, doesnt the mating ritual and body language change, its fascinating.
As there were two older males you saw, I wonder if he is the dominant one and yes maybe he was biffed by the lioness!

Safariman you should post your mating pics, I dont think they would offend anyone, so dont worry about it.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) 768480 http://i73.servimg.c Doogs wonderful shots, of the Male, and Lioness in the first just relaxing together. Then the ones of a Male, and Female mating it's amazing how the Female truns , and snarls after each copulation, then they do it all over again. Lovely to see the Elephants with their young, and I love the Cheetah photos, it must be really difficult to get the photos with reflections especially in daylight. I've managed to get quiye a few good ones on the web cam at Petes Pond at night tome when the moons out, but the lighting is entirely different in daylight.
Safariman by all means put your mating photos on, this is a wildlife site, and all your showing is what animals do naturaly. That sort of thing is educational, and can be seen at any Zoo, Wildlife Park, or even in fileds in the Countryside as people, and family's drive round, so no problem.
Thanks for the photos, Doogs, and commentary

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:49 pm

http://i73.servimg.c  Doogs.  More wonderful photos and some lovely cheetahs, eles and lions especially.  I'm glad sharing the vehicle was okay, you never can tell I imagine and have to hope you are all on the same wavelength!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:51 pm

"some people think it’s like a zoo and expect to see a different animal every 5 minutes or so !!"

I can imagine myself being like a boy travelling in the backseat of the car with the regular "Are we there yet?" pestering with my patented "Where are the leopards?" every five minutes  Laughing 

Especially liking those cheetah pics Doogs. As Safariman said, the photo of them drinking is a superb snapshot  Doog's Safari - Day 2 (AM) 768480 
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum