Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blackbird Behaviour

5 posters

Go down

Blackbird Behaviour Empty Blackbird Behaviour

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:18 am

Hello

I am a refugee from the closed Springwatch forum and found the link to this forum from there.

I am new to watching birds and wildlife and only really know the basics and I was wondering if anyone here knows about some new behaviour I saw yesterday from a Blackbird.

When I was walking home yesterday evening (bout 6pm) I heard what sounded like an alarm call and looked up and saw what looked like a Blackbird,(black plumage, yellow beak, bout the right size) standing on the top of a telegraph pole. He was making the alarm call, but something I hadnt seen before is that he was flicking his tail up and down and from what I can see it looked like the feathers on the top of his head was standing up. I hadnt seen this before so I was wondering

1. What was he doing, was it an alarm call and behaviour to scare away predators. I did look around and couldnt see anything obvious, unless he though I was a threat

2. Was he trying to attract a mate

3. Was it not actually a Blackbird but something similar as I looked in my bird book but couldn't see anything that it could be

Thanks

princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Blackbird Behaviour Empty Re: Blackbird Behaviour

Post  Laikipia Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:42 am

Hello and welcome to WAA

I would definitely say you saw a male Blackbird and have taken the following from the RSPB site. I think it is to do with his territory. Hope this helps.

Blackbirds tend to be solitary birds. Small feeding and roosting aggregation sometimes form at good sites, but there is no proper social interaction.

Male blackbirds establish a territory during their first year, which they will hold throughout their lives. The territory is essential for pair formation and nesting, although only a part of the food is obtained from within it.

Territory size varies depending on the habitat, and can be as small as 0.2 ha. Territory boundaries break down when the last broods have fledged and adults moult. During this period, territorial drive is low, and many birds will feed outside their territories at abundant food sources.

Territories are re-established in the late autumn, and from spring until July they are defended against all other blackbirds

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:09 am

thanks for that

I thought it was a Blackbird, and I thought it might have been something to do with territory as it looked like he was either saying 'look at me girls, come and get me' or 'stay away this is all mine'

It was really nice to watch as I was so close to him when he was doing it
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:14 am

It does sound like a black bird, princesspurplehippy.

From what I have read before, it sounds like it was either:

1. Trying to ward off an intruding male in his territory or

2. Trying to ward off a predator to close to the nest that may have been near by.

Blackbirds are usually the last bird to fly off if the likes of a cat or dog enter the garden.

Alarm call with fluffed up feathers and a flicking tail are used for both, i believe.

Will dig a little deeper.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

I think it might have been a rival male as I couldn't see any predator around and it looked like he was 'posturing' towards a rooftop.
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Could have been another male then as you say.

Love your Avatar! So cute.

SM

PS you dont mind me shortening your name to PPH do you?
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:50 pm

I don't mind you shortening my name to PPH, I used the same one that I used on the Springwatch message board as I know a few people from there use this site and it so they knew who I was

The avatar is adorable, I just love hedgehogs
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:57 pm

well hello there PPH im from the springwatch bords too
ive been here a cpl of weeks and i must say you will never meet a more helpfull friendly bunch of guys
we all love seeing everybody pics and reading each other post and helping with each others wildlife problems
and you will be made most welcome here

hope you enjoy your stay here

staffslass

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:02 pm

thank you for the welcome

I'm trying to get some pictures of the birds that visit my feeder to put on here, but at the moment I have a regular visit by a Robin but he is so fast I can never get the camera ready in time. Looking at the amount of meal worms he is taking away I think he has some hungry chicks so best not to disturb a harrassed parent
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:55 pm

Welcome to the forum PPH, just caught up with this topic and i'm pleased to see you got some answers to your question.
I look forward to seeing some of your pictures on site, its lovely when members want to share their photos with us all.
We have had a couple of people from the Spring Watch board and I'm glad you found us too and we are happy to have you as a member on WAA.
Loving your avatar, i'm a Hedgehog fan too, we have a section on Hedgehogs so if you have any info or pictures you want to share, please post away.

staffslass, Thank you so much for your kind words about the forum, it's much appreciated.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 pm

I saw what I'm assuming is the same bird do the exact same thing at the same place the other day while walking home from work.

I had a better look around and couldnt see any predator so sounds like it is a terratorial thing
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Sounds about right PPH Blackbird Behaviour 71418

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Blackbirds are very territorial, and protective. I once saw one, and a Magpie mob a Buzzard that had landed in a tree behind where we lived they were taking it in turns to buzz it, and kept making it loose it's balance till in the end it flew off, but I would think at this time of year it is to do with territory
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum