Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

+4
Anne-Marie1981
Laikipia
Safari Maiden
whitestarling
8 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 2 Empty Re: The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:33 pm

On a slightly different note, some of you kindly sponsored me last year to do the Santa run for the DSWT. I had to pull out because of my blooming sciatica. However, I have booked to do the superhero run this sunday! Just thought I'd let you all know!! cheers

I'm going to be cheeky and post my just giving page www.justgiving.com/running-for-orphaned-elephants

Just wanted to say thank you to those who sponsored me last time for this and to those that have sponsored me this time. Fingers crossed my back holds out this time! I'll do it whatever, even if I end up walking.

My boss has agreed to hold his sponsorship from last time though, 10p for every second under 30 minutes!! Eeeeek!! Had a little training run last night, felt good, did about 3km round stanwick lakes, will do it again thursday and thats it!! Next time I run will be the big day!! cheers
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 2 Empty Re: The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 pm

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 2 768480 Good Luck - even if you end up walking think of those little eles you are helping. elephant

Lots of luck and hope your back will be okay Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm just a little bit excited (kid at christmas springs to mind) I just had an email through from DSWT it was their Habari? news letter! Link to this on it:

http://www.forellies.com/For_Ellies/Home.html

Dame Daphane Sheldrick is going to be giving a keynote speech at the exhibition in London on 7th September! I've just got tickets to go! I'm hoping we have the opportunity to meet her. She was on my 'dinner guest' list we did a while back!!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:38 pm

I've just got the e-mail too Anne-Marie. I'm definitely going to get tickets, Pete might be away so i'll go with a friend instead. I bet they sell out quickly so i must move fast on this! lol!

Lai The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 2 768480
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Excellent Lai. We shall have to meet up while we are there!! Isn't it exciting!!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Brilliant - i can't wait, i've just booked 3 tickets elephant elephant elephant it'll also be fun to see the exhibition lol!

Look forward to having a few drinks in the bar as well - see you then Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Posted on Facebook by Body Shop - one worth voting for cheers

Take a few seconds to help raise funds for animal protection just by voting for Care for the Wild International, who are one of three charities chosen by the Body Shop to win a share of £20,000. As supporters of the DSWT and our orphans' project, we encourage all our fans to vote for them now - the more votes they get the greater the share of £20,000 for animal protetcion. http://bit.ly/dDAESi
The Body Shop | Foundation
bit.ly

Lai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:19 am

I'm just going to post a few DSWT updates.

Firstly very sad news, Sian, who was featured on the last series of Elephant Diaries has died. She had been poorly for sometime and the keepers have been fighting to save her, but she lost her battle. The autopsy showed she had an under developed left lung. A defect that she would have had from birth. Absolutely nothing they could have done for her. As I posted on FB, they gave her the happiest 5 years she could have hoped for after losing her family. I did shed a few tears while reading it.

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/updates/updates.asp?ID=280
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:21 am

They also have just rescued a young bull elephant, about 14 months old. Found amongst a herd of bulls! This really is an amazing story and rescue! Please read if you find the time. The photos are fantastic too.

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/asp/orphan_profile.asp?N=230
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:59 am

I have voted on Body Shop Lai we could do with a few more Care in the Wild International is in 2nd place.

Am how sad to read of Sian ( RIP ) I remember her from the series, at least she did'nt die a lonely life after she lost her family, and as you say she did have a happy few years.

Kandecha is a very lucky Elephant to be found like that, and now has a good chance of survival, lets keep our finger X that one day he will return to the Wild.

Thanks for the updates AM
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks for the links and updates Anne-Marie, i've been following on FB and the death of Sian made me cry and actually so did the story of Kandecha.

I just don't know how these keepers cope, they really are magnificent and put so much in to looking after these little eles elephant

More votes needed as you say WS cheers

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:00 pm

The DSWT have just rescued to little babies in the space of 24 hours.

2 orphan elephant rescues in just 24 hours! First, a little girl of about a year old was found abandoned and rescued by KWS in the community lands adjacent to southern Tsavo West on Muhoho Ranch. We airlifted the calf from the Ziwani airstrip and she is now safely at the nursery. We have called her Mwakireti (Meaning lost in the wilderness in the Taita language)

Now the second rescue is very distressing. I know Lai has seen this already, but I've just sat in the office crying because of what happened to this poor poor baby:

The second heart breaking case was rescued yesterday evening. Our Tsavo Vet Unit was alerted by KWS of a yearling calf with a spear still embedded in its head, obviously a poaching or human wildlife conflict victim! The Unit assisted by KWS and our Ziwani anti-poaching team rescued the calf and drove it to the safety of the Voi stockades.....

.... The extent of her wounds are horrifying, with multiple spear wounds puncturing her tiny body. She was airlifted to the Nursery today and has been named Murka after the mines in that area, we just hope she has the strength to overcome the horrors that have befallen her.

I couldn't believe the photos. I've linked the first one, but you can just click next through them
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=4321431&id=120805694888
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:54 pm

It is heartbreaking to read and to see the photos - i am speechless that such things can happen.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Anne-Marie that is so sad about sian, I remember her as well , poor poor Murka, just dreadful, I just dont understand it, it breaks your heart doesnt it. The light here is the protection of the big bulls for kandecha, what an amazing thing for them to do and what a shame it was milk he needed, he would have been safe with them but he is in such good hands now isnt he, bless him.

Thanks for the update Anne-Marie, the DWST is so inspiring.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:14 am

Poor little Murka, what a horrible story Crying or Very sad

Thankfully he has been found alive and we all know that he is in the best place possible to be loved, cared for and nursed back to health. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:43 pm

DSWT post on FB - bands cost £1.75

Joining our 'band of elephants' shows people you care about these magnificent creatures and generates income for our projects in Kenya, buy yours at: http://bit.ly/aQdvn1 and join our growing herd.Band of Elephants Charity Wristband
bit.ly
Find Band of Elephants Charity Wristband in Collectables, Badges Patches , Club Association Badges , Charities category on eBay.co.uk.

Mine just arrived this morning elephant
Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Cool thanks Lai - will check it out :cheers:
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:19 pm

I missed this on fb. What a great idea!

Thanks for the update Lai.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

I have my band too!! It always nice to be able to help in any way possible!! I was very upset to read over the weekend that a wound on Murka's back was cause by an axe!! I just can't even bear thinking about what was going on to this poor poor little baby and its family. Here are the facebook updates from the weekend:

Saturday
News of Murka. At 1.00am yesterday morning she collapsed & remained in a state of collapse, semi comatosed until 10.00am. But after a dextrose drip she got to her feet & began to feed both on milk & greens which is a hopeful sign. The spear wound which has left a hole in her head is so deep that when she breathes air comes through her forhead! We are hopeful this will heal in time, but her wounds are very serious.

Saturday afternoon
We are encouraged to report Murka is doing well; feeding, appearing strong and slowly,
slowly becoming a little more trusting of the Keepers. She will obviously take a
long time to trust people again after what she has experienced at the hands of
humans, but she loves her milk so we are all really hopeful.

A terrible wound on Murka's back was made from an axe chopping into her hind quarters. It is unimaginable that people are capable of inflicting such harm to a vulnerable baby elephant.

News on Mwakireti
Mwakireti spent the day out with the other orphans yesterday and continues to settle well. She is so pleased to be surrounded by loving little elephant friends and ele
friendly Keepers and is responding postitively.

We have changed MWAKIRETI's name to MAKIRETI as apparently the MWA
is for male and MA for female in the Taita language. Her name means 'lost in the
wilderness' in Taita.

Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:44 pm

The photos were so distressing - poor little Murka with a huge hole in her head, it made me feel sick and so upset to see. It makes you wonder how these eles survive after such treatment, the keepers really are so amazing, they deserve a huge thank you for all the help and support they give these little orphans.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:26 am

Oh that poor baby. I felt awful when I saw those pictures. She must have been absolutely terrified and you can understand her fear of humans. I hope she continues to heal and learns to trust that not all humans are evil and intent on inflicting such pain again.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 pm

The more pictures they post of poor Murka, the sicker I feel! That poor poor baby, and then when you see the keepers in the pictures as well you can see the complete anguish on their faces! Every picture says a thousand words! Sad

And this status update just left me speechless! Partly in a good way, the fact that the other orphans took part in the rescue as well! So, so clever!!
Murka's wounds are healing, but slowly. Cleaning them is a challenge. We give her stressnil to ensure the cleaning process is not too traumatic for her. We thought she was ready to join the other orphans yesterday, but she took off necessitating a very dramatic rescue with elephant orphans & Keepers charging after her to return her back to the safety of the stockades. An ordeal that left the keepers exhausted.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Awww bless them - they know they are being well cared for and just want Murka to know it too - wot a bunch of little Like a Star @ heaven - humans and ellie's !!! I love you
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Poor little Murka she must be so stressed and in so much pain. The photos of her wounds have been just dreadful to look at.

Thankfully the keepers are all so brilliant, and it seems the other little eles are too.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:37 pm

I just thought I'd post this little snippet taken from the keeper's diary that has just appeared on the DSWT. In amongst all the sad news I thought this would all make us giggle a little bit!

During the 9am milk feed the orphans had to be split into two groups with Kalama at the head of the baby group and Suguta with her own smaller group of older orphans. As the baby group rushed over to have their milk Sities abruptly came to a halt causing a domino effect as the other orphans behind her pushed and shoved one another to avoid trampling her. The keepers came over to find out what had caused her to come to such a quick stop and found there was a giant dung beetle in her way.

So how big is a giant dung beetle compared to a baby ele? Laughing Laughing
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum