Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights

5 posters

Go down

Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights Empty Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights

Post  Laikipia Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Okay so it was the worst storm to hit Iceland in 25 years.  The airport closed, all the roads closed and it follows that the skies weren't crystal clear.  Having said that it wasn't icy cold, although I was wearing long johns under my ski pants and 5 layers on my top half Laughing

A few photos from our trip.  As I said landscape is certainly different to wildlife but we had an instructor who tried to explain the whys and wherefores.  

A very beautiful sunset at 4.40pm.  
Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights Ou5a3010

Taken at 1.50am it was very dark and no artificial light - this is as close as I got to the Northern Lights  Laughing
Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights Ou5a3011

An artistic iceberg - well my interpretation!
Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights Ou5a3110

I couldn't run in and get close enough to this beautiful blue iceberg as those waves were fast and sometimes furious and I didn't have wellies on
Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights Ou5a3111

The 'bergs' and ice really were this amazing colour
Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights Ou5a3112

That's it folks cheers

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights Empty Re: Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights

Post  Safariman Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Lovely set of photos Lai, I love the colours particularly the blue of the iceberg and surrounding sea. Shame about the weather as I am sure it would have been fun to experience and record all the amazing sites of Iceland.
It's good to try a different challenge in photography and learn new techniques. I have become so used to wildlife photography that I am sure when I go to India in Feb. I will have to try and think differently. I will mainly be concentrating on architectural and street photography so a completely new challenge. I am not sure yet what equipment to take as I don't want to be bogged down carrying heavy gear when I am doing my wandering around.
For you it will be back to normal when you go to Tanzania. Which part are you going to?

SM

Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights Empty Re: Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights

Post  Laikipia Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Thanks Safariman, I agree another trip to Iceland or similar will have to happen in the future, we still want to see and photograph the Lights.

India will be great and so colourful - do you have a wide angle lens?  I would guess less is more for wandering around Very Happy

We are going to Kimondo Camp, Lamai, in the Serengeti and Namiri Plains Camp which is in the remote Eastern corner of the Serengeti - more than that I don't know!

We are really looking forward to discovering a new country and a new area.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights 768480 http://i73.servimg.c Love those shots Lai, I find them very dramatic, and you can really sense the brooding nature of those first two sky shots, and the sea, and berg shot are fantastic showing the swirl of the sea around the bergs. Don't blame you for not going I think you would have needed a bit more than a pair of wellies lol! Looking at that last shot you do like your extremes of tempretures from Egypt to Iceland, and now Tanzania Iceland - in search of the Northern Lights 40683

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks WS. You are so right, we do seem to go from one extreme to the other Laughing Funnily the itinerary for Taz just arrived today and I am already thinking of sunny and Cheetah Elephant behind lion cub Monkey Giraffe

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:19 pm

For not getting to see much of Iceland you still did pretty well, considering those shots. It must have been heavenly to have experienced such a beautiful red sunset, and that blue of the bergs is just as beautiful.

Confirms still further of just how magical a country Iceland is.

May you have much better weather in Tanzania though! Razz

GR Owl 2
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks G http://i77.servimg.c R

Taz should be sunny but often there's Raining but who cares when your watching the wildlife and hopefully a Cheetah lion cub leopard in Tree or two

Lai Laughing
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:13 pm

The weather and skies may not have been what you were expecting Lai but to me those are some stunning photo's. The colour of the icebergs and water is amazing, it looks as though the colours have been enhanced, its beautiful and I love your artistic take on the iceberg and swirling water.
The sunset is so rich isn't it, that must have been so spectacular to actually see. Someone who has now left work saw the Northern lights and he took quite a few photo's, they were really good but he said they didn't capture the true experience of seeing them.
Anyway I loved seeing those and iceland is not a place I have been to.
Thanks for sharing and sorry for being so late on commenting on them.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks Littlewid, glad you enjoyed the photos. I'm sure seeing the lights is an amazing experience and one we'll look forward to one day Laughing but I bet that's right to be there and enjoy rather than trying to capture in photographs is far more magical.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down